Quantcast

Uh, don't ask R.C.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It's official, R.C. just isn't paying attention. From ask R.C. at mbaction.com http://www.mbaction.com/qanda.asp?curpage=2 :

Q. I am looking to up grade my front end of my P.3 I was wondering what would be a good fork? and disk break. I was looking into a 2002 shiver sc and hayes HFX 9 or hayes purple. I have a 2001 z.1 drop off on it now with vs.
aj_mac01@hotmail.com - 12/8/2003 6:51:40 PM

A. Aj, Get the 888 instead and "yes" on your brake choice. RC

Hehe, thats some killer advice. Post ask R.C. gems in this thread so we can all have a good laugh.

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
To Whom it may concern:

MB Action is a joke. I let my subscription run out because I could no longer take the slant to everything that they write. I have not had much expierience with Santa Cruz stuff, but it seems that anything they make "is the best Bike made for any application" according to MBA. They tend to favor Manitou, SC, Specialized, Turner(I ride one of their bikes), and Zocci almost blindly.

I think that I lost respect for them when they began to Trash DW and Evil saying that Dave was too technical in his explanation of the DW link. Dave is a smart dude, but he takes more than enough time to explain to even the simplest of persons. Because R.C. or whoever was not interested in what he had to say should not apply.

Also, I have to say that MBA was a little better with Firth there. At least he rode DH and tried to move the Mag along in that department. He was a great loss to that Mag.

So, all in all, I guess that because I don't have a Dorado on my DHR, my set-up is not optimal for the conditions... :rolleyes:

So, MBA, you will provide me only warmth this winter as I start my fireplace with you!!!

Sincerely,
Brennan Fraczek

:Rant off:

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I always refer to it as Mountain Bike Hyption instead. Its just one giant marketing bitch. So are most mags, but MBH just makes it really really obvious.

nick1111

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Let's not forget "black diamond" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MBA is the most annoying publication i've ever read, and i've only seen a few issues.

And BTW, if someone DID want a big fork on their hardtail, I'd suggest the Shiver instead, because it's a shorter fork.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
I still read the mag, although I can't stand the way they say "black dimond" and there explination. The word freeride means to leave the trail, and carrys negitive connatation. Why do they get to re-define words. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Its better than "mountain Bike" which is a waste of a whopping 30 pieces of paper. But still, MBA sucks, the northstar article was cool, but still they are crappy. BIKE and Mountain Biking, and Dirt Rag all kick its ass.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
How did they start the black diamond thing. I was reading it one time and out of no where they start calling stuff black diamond. I would have to say Dirt Rag is the best, the focus more on s.s and whatnot, but seems more real. MBA is still better the Bicycling though.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
I believe their stance is that the term "freeriding" is promoting people to ride off of designated trails, or at least gives the illusion of said act to non bike people who see the term.

birddawg

Chimp
Apr 9, 2002
Hollywood
It's not the best answer, but there are a lot of morons running dual-crown forks on hardtails.
I'm sure he has thousands of useful replys, but it's doubtful threads get started about those.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by birddawg
It's not the best answer, but there are a lot of morons running dual-crown forks on hardtails.
I'm sure he has thousands of useful replys, but it's doubtful threads get started about those.
Actually this thread is based on a long history of similar responses from R.C. If you read the question, and then the answer, it is clear that he took no time to even understand what the question was before throwing out a one-line response.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
A loooong, 1100$, 200mm fork on a HT like the P3, complete BS.

If he would like to help the guy, and ment a dualcrown would be nice, he should take some time to tell the dude about geometry and maybe tell him to go for a 150mm Boxxer or Jr-T

E

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
He wasn't trying to say that a dual-crown would be nice. He skimmed the question, saw the word 'shiver,' went to his 2004-product-endorse/hype-flowchart, and followed the line from "customer asks for Shiver" to "recommend the 888."

He didn't bother to notice it was a hardtail with a singlecrown fork.

I think it's proof that RC is a computer, or at least a badly-written macro.

MD

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Originally posted by MikeD
He wasn't trying to say that a dual-crown would be nice. He skimmed the question, saw the word 'shiver,' went to his 2004-product-endorse/hype-flowchart, and followed the line from "customer asks for Shiver" to "recommend the 888."

He didn't bother to notice it was a hardtail with a singlecrown fork.

I think it's proof that RC is a computer, or at least a badly-written macro.

MD
He is a robot without the cool noises a robot makes when it is mad. He just sits there and sulks. He doesn't even have lasers... what a d-bag. Just found out you can make colored text. That is neat.

smp747

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
Calgary Alb.
Originally posted by birddawg

hey there buddy! i resent that one! i have a dc on my evil... just wondering... why dont you agree with dc's on hardtails? and why am i a moron for it? sorry for arguing... but i think your opinion of it is quite wrong? ever tried riding a ht with a DC?... and remeber.. its not the bike...its the rider... and the cool clothes he/she is wearing!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Best one I ever saw was (not quoted, this is going from memory):

Q: Dear MBA, I have a Specialized Enduro Comp (I think it was the Comp...) with Fox Float RL forks. I am considering purchasing some Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, will I need an adaptor to mount the Hayes to my fork? If so, approximately how much would this adaptor cost, and where will I be able to get one? Do most bike shops stock them? And lastly, is there a designation I need to know for which adaptor I would need?

Thanks,
Whoever it was

A: I believe the Enduro Comp comes with Manitou Black forks, which use the same post-mount system as Hayes, so you will not need an adaptor.

Unfcukingbelievable! There was another one in that same issue, but I can't remember it.

A bash so nice I did it twice...

He doesn't even give practical information!

He belongs on Fox News!

"The best way to fix it, may be to check with Supergo's mail order site. They feature new ProFlex frames very low prices. "

-RC

I'm finished muckraking for another fiscal quarter.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I dunno. Not to get personal, but it seems to me that a lot of the bike part opinions I read here on RM are loonier and more lopsided than RC's. The guy's not a 15 year old dirtjumper or cardropper and the mag doesn't really go after that group. He misses the boat sometimes, but opinions are, well, uh, opinions. MBA is still stuck on the retro XC weight-weenie thing, which is a bit annoying, but at least they review lots of different kinds of bikes. And what's wrong with Turner and Intense and SantaCruz and Specialized? I also seem to see lots of reviews on small company bikes. Just fashionable to bash MBA I guess; some things never change.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
aha the only reason i still read that magazine is that my school carries it in the library so i have nothing better to do.

I mailed him like 2 years ago and had the same deal.
This was right when the MRP LRP first made its appearance. I asked him something along the lines of 'I was running a kore chain tensioner that allowed me to keep all 3 of my front rings, but i just recently purchased a k2 animal frame which prevents me from running the kore. Are there any other options out there for people looking to keep their front rings and still keep their chain on? Whats the deal with the new MRP LRP any idea on price and expectancy?"

First of all, when it was put in the magazine he completley took out the part about the LRP and asknig about other options. He then went to reccomend i check out the Truvative chainguide for 45 bucks that was nice and cheap (but for single rings only)

AWSOME!

firth was the best thing that mag ever had

Oh Oh my turn!

I was flipping through one in the supermarket and it went something like this (not exact quotes):

I have a specilized stumpjumper fsr, and I dislike it. What bikes could you recomend, if i weigh 175 pounds and race expert class XC in Colorado on technical trails.

R.C: If you dont like the stumpjumper, your not going to like any bike.

brillant!

wujj

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
Boulder, CO/ Taiwan
Today, I received the TECH-IN T-11 fork back from MBA....

I called them up and sent them the fork for a test review back in the first week of May '03. After 7.5 months, I finally got the fork back from them, and all they did was put one tiny picture and a couple sentences in the Jan. '03 issue.

When I tried to follow up with them, they kept giving me bull****... saying that the fork will go onto their Foes DH test bike but they just haven't gotten to it yet. After Interbike, TECH-IN kind of gave up their hopes and told me to get the fork back. I've since been calling and emailing to request the fork back... never heard from them. Today, the fork finally showed up, but the extra springs that were sent with the fork weren't inside the package.

I'm sure they don't treat all companies sending in products for reviews like this... but I wonder if they treat all small companies, esp. ones that are not yet known, with no budget for ads like they did to us.

Mountain Bike Action and Mountain Biking were the two magazines that got me started with mountain biking when I was in 6th grade. I've been subscribing to MBA since '93. Once my subscription ends, I won't be renewing it for sure.

As long as I'm in the bike industry, I'll do everything I can to not advertise or support MBA in anyway for CAT EYE or any other company that I might work for in the future.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serves you guys for actually reading the words in them rags. Don't you know that the sole purpose for biking mags is for us to pick them up breifly to leaf thru the pages, look at all the pictures, and put em back on the rack. C'mon people!!!! ;)

nydave

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Orange Co. NY
Yea it is a great rag...I just get sick of reading their extreme left wing political trans whatever it is peace on earth while I stick my head in the sand bs. But on a positive note, when it comes to bikes...they rock. As for MTA...I love my Specialized bike, and my 'zoke, and quite a few other things that they have recommended in the past, imho the worst thing they have done is try to push that black diamond thing...that makes me sick too. Now yins guys got my two cents...later and call it what it is MTA...FREE RIDE.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
When I first started MTB I went to BB to watch some races and check things out in 99 ,so I`am there checking things out and talking to Jenn the Mech ;) ,and RC shows up so I try to chat with him about riding ( cause I believed about the cool rides he supposedly does :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) and though since he was so into it that maybe I could go ride with them :eek: :eek: :eek: ,the douche bag does not even reply ,he just looks at me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,like he`s so special .And after that I quit reading his BS cause I saw the light ,BTW he`s a RICHARD (DICK) CUNTINGHAM For a reason ;) ;) ;)

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
granted that jerk-off has no idea what he's talking about but running a dual crown on a hardtail has it's pros. i crack the crowns on all my single crown especially zochs. now i use a dual crown(superT) on my hard tail for beating on and a single for racing and parks. some people do to weight and terrrain or whatever are always gonna break single crowns. the extra strength you get with a dual crown can save some headaches.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I think that MBA's bike reviews do contain some good information, as long as you wade through all the weight-weenie-expensive-bikes-are-naturally-better-especially-if-they're-made-by-foes-ellsworth-intense-or-turner-and-we-are-the-greatest-thing-to-happen-to-mountain-biking-since-the-wheel crap.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
ywah i dislike MBA, not goign to go into the resons, but for the part about usind dcs on htails is ok but since the reader suggested a sc then you think that he is looking int hat direction, plus p3 geo witha dc would be odd

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
At least RC has a moderate grasp of the English language...

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
alright let me just tell the truth. they could make much more money on race coverage and race hype oherwise keep your dumb ass shut. your mag is worhtless. oh' what yur gonna teach me to freeride. " you have to learn to crash rigtht before you can learn to ride." it's all fun peace out