Quantcast

Urban hard tail frames...

J

JRB

I ordered a Soul Titan, but I don't have a clue when it will be back from paint, and kind of got the impression that it would be back last week. I went through that with Dean once before and I am not willing to do it again I don't think. All that said - I want a hard tail for urban stuff. I want something for less than $400, but may do a little more if I need to. Any ideas? I kind of like the Giant STP, but it doesn't have ISCG tabs, and I think that is kind of a want for me. I would also like to have the option to run SS, so sliding dropouts would be cool too. What recommendations might you have? I figure I will get more play in here than in the DJ forum. Thanks

I like the P3 frame, but it says it has 6mm of offset and I don't want to dish a wheel that won't work on my Reign, if I need it to.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Evil DOC. Sweet Reynolds steel frame, adjustable dropouts, and the notoriously great Evil/E.13 customer service.

It's a little outside of your price range but it's a hell of a lot of bang-for-the-buck at ~$450.

Plus, it says "Evil" on it.

What more could you possibly want? :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
There was a sweet deal on the Ironhorse Porter frame a while back. I'm sure a quick search will turn it up. If I remember correctly, it was the Porter frame, a sherman, a headset, a post, and perhaps a stem for like $350 or something.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Evil DOC. Sweet Reynolds steel frame, adjustable dropouts, and the notoriously great Evil/E.13 customer service.

It's a little outside of your price range but it's a hell of a lot of bang-for-the-buck at ~$450.

That is really kind of what I am looking for. I wish I had beat inbred to Woo's frame. I PM'd manhattanpr239472984789, but he isn't selling his for a bit. The shop owes me some jack for a trade I did, so a Giant, Trek, Specialized or Haro would be best, but I might just settle on something else.

All that said - the DOC is kind of a front runner. I am just trying to not be crazy on price.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Also outside of your prce range but you can often find them used much cheaper. Found mine for 250.00

.243 Racing....

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Also outside of your prce range but you can often find them used much cheaper. Found mine for 250.00

.243 Racing....

It's missing the ISCG tabs I want.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jacksonpt said:
ah, here it is...

Ironhorse Porter frame
Sherman DJ 80mm (20mm, 1.5" steerer)
FSA headset
Thompost post
SIC stem
$350

'
thats a screamin deal.

what the hell ya want iscg tabs for?so you can break em off and start a thread about it? Why arent you just gonna use the soul titan?

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
ah, here it is...

Ironhorse Porter frame
FSA headset
Thompost post
SIC stem
$350

I really want to run a 5" fork, but I may look into that. I can run reducers I guess.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The HARO thread 1 is like 699 complete. Strip the parts and ebay them and you'd probably be close.

The P.3 frame is 700 so that's almost double what you are looking for.

I don't think the trek hardtails (Jack) have sliding dropouts.

The DOC is about the best deal for your criteria.

J

JRB

DRB said:
The HARO thread 1 is like 699 complete. Strip the parts and ebay them and you'd probably be close.

The P.3 frame is 700 so that's almost double what you are looking for.

I don't think the trek hardtails (Jack) have sliding dropouts.

The DOC is about the best deal for your criteria.
I think I can probably EP the P.3. The Haro may be a good deal, but the DOC really is the best bet. I may look at that Porter and sell the fork though.

J

JRB

biggins said:
'
thats a screamin deal.

what the hell ya want iscg tabs for?so you can break em off and start a thread about it? Why arent you just gonna use the soul titan?
I don't want to buy an E-type BB to run a guide.

I have no idea when the Titan may actually ship. I plan to call today, but I don't want to wait until summer is over. I won't get into what they said, but I specifically asked when they would be back from paint and explained the Dean story. The dude said they should be back last week and they have no trouble with the painter. Apparently someone posted in a thread that I deleted to start over in DH about closing because they were getting things straight with the painter. If they were having troubles, he would have known then, and I would have appreciated hearing about it. Not that they are bad guys, but I like knowing what's going on. A $200 frame is not worth me having to worry about when I might get it. It is the best fit, but not sure I want to deal with getting it whenever they get around to sending it, or whatever the case may be.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
loco said:
I think I can probably EP the P.3. The Haro may be a good deal, but the DOC really is the best bet. I may look at that Porter and sell the fork though.
EP on the P.3 would probably be in your range.....

There is also the transition trail and park that's like $440.

J

JRB

Is there a link???
jacksonpt said:
ah, here it is...

Ironhorse Porter frame
FSA headset
Thompost post
SIC stem
$350

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
I don't want to buy an E-type BB to run a guide.
Huh?

You don't need an E-type BB. Any normal BB will work.

ISCG tabs aren't a good invention, IMO. Would you rather have the guide rotate a bit when you whack it hard, or have part of the frame shear off?

The chainguide will just clamp between the drive side BB lip and the frame. No special BB required.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Huh?

ISCG tabs aren't a good invention, IMO. Would you rather have the guide rotate a bit when you whack it hard, or have part of the frame shear off?

The chainguide will just clamp between the drive side BB lip and the frame. No special BB required.
It won't pull the non-drive arm in too much??? I see the point about breaking tabs though. I doubt it would happen to me, but good point.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Huh?

Yeah, what he said!

No special BB required.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
It won't pull the non-drive arm in too much??? I see the point about breaking tabs though. I doubt it would happen to me, but good point.
No, not a problem. It's recommended you run a slightly longer spindle (118 instead of 113), but I had mine installed with a 113 spindle and no problems.

jacksonpt said:
what are iscg tabs?
International Standard Chainguide mounting tabs. They're just little tabs welded or machined onto the bottom bracket shell with holes for bolts to bolt the chainguide on, instead of sandwiching it between the BB and the frame.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
loco, get the god damn DOC, if for some reason my new frame becomes available while you are still in the hunt ill hook you up good.

I love mine, and dont want to part with it, i just need something different for the upcoming season...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
that is an insane price on that Porter...jesus christ. EP on the those Sherman Jumpers is $250, alone...and the only reason i know that is 'cause Manitou made the mistake of telling me a couple years ago. how is Down Cycles making any money on that deal?

oh, and Loco, i would recommend a long DOC for you...you're around 6'1, right?

J

JRB

Anyone have a link for geometry info for the Porter??? I don't think I can pass that up. I don't know if I want a 14" or a 16" frame. Any idea of what I would need to run my Pike on it?

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
that is an insane price on that Porter...jesus christ. EP on the those Sherman Jumpers is $250, alone...and the only reason i know that is 'cause Manitou made the mistake of telling me a couple years ago. how is Down Cycles making any money on that deal?

oh, and Loco, i would recommend a long DOC for you...you're around 6'1, right?
5'11" or so. I think I am gonna go with the Porter of some sort. The site says it's even a Thomson post. Anyone use Downcycles before?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
5'11" or so. I think I am gonna go with the Porter of some sort. The site says it's even a Thomson post. Anyone use Downcycles before?
It's out of stock.

I have a tough time believing that's a Sherman Jumper on there for $350 anyway. Wonder if it's labeled wrong and it's really a Stance or something lower in the lineup?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
binary visions said:

Ditto. I picked mine up new for $400 shipped too. It's the nicest urban bike I've ever ridden when set up w/ a 3" fork and SS. Do it.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
binary visions said:
It's out of stock.

I have a tough time believing that's a Sherman Jumper on there for $350 anyway. Wonder if it's labeled wrong and it's really a Stance or something lower in the lineup?
its really a jumper, i think it was Salami or somebody on the board here that was selling them for 350 or 400...

if you search youll probly find the old Buy/Sell thread.

J

JRB

Yeah - I am gonna call when they open in a few minutes. I am sure they don't have them. It never works that way for me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dirty said:
its really a jumper, i think it was Salami or somebody on the board here that was selling them for 350 or 400...

if you search youll probly find the old Buy/Sell thread.
Wow. If I had seen that, I would have bought one just to part it out on eBay.

Really awesome deal.