Quantcast

Urban hard tail frames...

J

JRB

binary visions said:
It's out of stock.

I have a tough time believing that's a Sherman Jumper on there for $350 anyway. Wonder if it's labeled wrong and it's really a Stance or something lower in the lineup?
Just get an answering machine. I think I'll pass that one by.

J

JRB

You're right, Gumba.

I am getting a price from the shop on a P.3 and Giant STP frame. He is also calling Evil to see about getting me a DOC. If he can, I will go with that. If not, I think I will get an STP. It is pretty cheap I think. I can get one from Bob-Bicycles for $300, so I should be able to do pretty well.

I am thinking a 22 - 22 1/2" TT for this bike. Would everyone agree with that for an urban bike for someone around 5' 11"???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
22.5 to 23 (in my opinion...seems i like longer bikes, though)

i think you'd really like a regular DOC (since i thought you were taller than you really are) if you're looking for an urban-only frame. toss something like a 70mm stem on, and you'd be ready to go. i wouldn't go any longer than 110 on the fork, though. you're already looking at a 68* HA.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
urban bike loco??

Where will you go and ride urban?

My recommendation, just scour the various buy and sell forums here, and on bikemojo, pinkbike or whatever, buy something used from some kid looking to upgrade to a fs dh bike or something and just beat the snot out of that.

I mean - how often are you going to choose the urban bike over your other rides anyway???

Just my two cents.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
binary visions said:
It's out of stock.

I have a tough time believing that's a Sherman Jumper on there for $350 anyway. Wonder if it's labeled wrong and it's really a Stance or something lower in the lineup?
Its a jumper. Two friends and I ordered/recieved the framekits from them, and we all got just what was expected.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stinkyboy said:
Are you making fun of his misspelling of "chainstay" or are you having reading comprehension problems?

SC put the disc mount below the chainstay of some of their bikes. Pretty dumb place to put it, IMO.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
chainstay, i mean. i just had coffee...well, caffeine for the first time in a couple months. my mind and fingers are at warp speed right now.

a guy at work has a Chameleon with the disc caliper mount located below the chainstay. i don't know what year model it is, though...04, 05?

J

JRB

That's an 00 - 02 fork on there I believe.

*this thread is not about Chameleons. :mumble:

I called the shop this morning and he's not sure when he might be able to get costs. I really want the STP I think, since my current post and all will fit, but I am inches away from calling Go-Ride and ordering a DOC. I think that red is sexy.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
loco said:

I called the shop this morning and he's not sure when he might be able to get costs. I really want the STP I think, since my current post and all will fit, but I am inches away from calling Go-Ride and ordering a DOC. I think that red is sexy.
I'm pretty sure that the STP doesn't have sliding dropouts.

J

JRB

DRB said:
I'm pretty sure that the STP doesn't have sliding dropouts.
The under $300 part is tempting. You are right about the dropouts though. I wonder where I could get a Cowan.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Loco.. seriously look at the trans t.o.p. mines in the mail :D it has everything your looking for. iscg tabs, looks to be able to run a 5" fork. has adjustable horz dropouts with built in tensioners and a der hanger if you run one.. i looked high and low, and it seriously seemed to have the best bang for the buck. not to mention the top notch rating their customer service seems to have.. I also looked into the warranty and crash rep program.. 2 yr warranty and $175 crash rep..

J

JRB

fiddy_ryder said:
Loco.. seriously look at the trans t.o.p. mines in the mail :D it has everything your looking for. iscg tabs, looks to be able to run a 5" fork. has adjustable horz dropouts with built in tensioners and a der hanger if you run one.. i looked high and low, and it seriously seemed to have the best bang for the buck. not to mention the top notch rating their customer service seems to have.. I also looked into the warranty and crash rep program.. 2 yr warranty and $175 crash rep..
Good place to buy???

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
loco said:

I rode the STP and it was pretty cool. It felt long for me (15 inch) and I am 6'1. I really liked the chameleon though. My buddy who works for the local shop is getting an STP and selling me his chameleon. I'm stoked.

The Trek Jack was a REALLY nice bike one.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
loco said:
Fiddy's right - this is hot too

yup.. mines white. gonna throw on some white or green rim striping as well. actually white one side and green the other side.. ill have the frame friday and built by late that night saturday morning. let me know if you want pics and ill give you my thoughts on build quality