Quantcast

Urge

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
I like how light the helmet is. I am also interested in getting one. did you guys ever get your helmets? Can you tell us how you like it?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
$180 is a pretty reasonable for a nice-looking helmet(I don't know much else about them). I'd be curious to see hear how light and how they fit in comparison to the d2/d3(love the fit of my D2 vs my old remedy/bell helmets)..

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just got my Frisco Down-O-Matic. Pretty sweet. I've been trying on D2s and D3s. The small of each of those helmets were different. The s/xs D2 felt too small, and the s D3 felt pretty good, but is too rich for my blood.

I got the small Down-O-Matic and put in the thicker padding and it's fits nice and snugly. Of course I'm just in the living room, but it passes the head shake test.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got both helmets in and initially they fit REAL well as well as look better in person... I finally retired the D2 with this one and no complaints. The fit is snug and the cheek pads are like a D2 as far as height, they accept wider goggles ir RG or blur B1 fine.
They have SEVERAL pads included for hte down-o-matic and the enduro matic is a really nice lid.... Hucker lid was getting kind of worn and in need of replacement....

down-o-matic full face and enduro-matic am/fr lid

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
UPDATE:

Ridden with the Down-o-Matic about 5 days now and still pleased. The fit pads are nice and snug, and I notice that the "jaw" sticks out further than it did on my Remedy. No bother, just different.

One gripe: the Remedy had a fastex clip for the chinstrap, the Urge has D-rings. I like the clip better. Easier to get the thing off with gloves.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hows the ventilation in them? I'm skeptical about the "venturi" effect for ventilation.
Aside of my D2 visor sticking out a little further and down further than Ill ever use its a similair profile outside. Inside is pads for sizing as where the D2 is more sized already.
I had Dclips on hte D2 so its no bother to me and as far as the jaw sticking out its like a D2 more so and thats good.... I dont like rebreathing my own air as well as it vents to keep goggles from taking the moisture directly. Ive ran smaller jawline helmets and in hte cold they fogged easily...

Ventilation is good you can feel a air rush from the front and the top, its mesh liner so it doesnt restrict air flow at all... Its a well designed helmet, thats a good bang for the buck... Pleased, very pleased....

I wont have any hesitation running it inland socal in the summer, 100 degree + descents... If im not in the half lid Ill be in the FF in the heat...:thumb:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
anybody on this continent carry the veggie down? crc has them, but the regular down is $50 more than what they sell for here, so hoping the veggie might be cheaper elsewhere... carbon fiber is so played; linen is next level sh1t:

*edit - found at bike bling. one barel approved hippie fiber lid on it's way to oust my aged d2. wicked!

Last edited:

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
I had two rides on mind so far, and it is a great helmet. I love how light it is and tend to forget it is there after a few min of riding. My head seems to stay pretty cool as well. I like it!

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
One caveat to consider, particularly if you live in a hot climate: Looks like the flexible visor material may not hold up to direct sunlight.

I live in AZ and the first visor on my Endur-o-matic warped badly during a ~3-hour ride. It was maybe in high 80s/low 90s, direct sunlight, but not really what we would consider "hot" yet.

Pricepoint arranged to ship me a new visor. This one looks like it's also beginning to warp after one 2-hour ride in direct sunlight.

Not sure if the full-face uses the same visor, but I suspect it's similar.

Still love the fit of the helmet, but the visor thing is weird.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
anybody on this continent carry the veggie down? crc has them, but the regular down is $50 more than what they sell for here, so hoping the veggie might be cheaper elsewhere... carbon fiber is so played; linen is next level sh1t:

*edit - found at bike bling. one barel approved hippie fiber lid on it's way to oust my aged d2. wicked!
Bikebling has the veggie in stock. I was there yesterday and it was on the rack.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
im replacing my D2 with one of these when i bust the D2 on something.

I dont mind that they are almost half price either :)

So far 3 of my riding buddies have gotten these too and re well happy with them as well.

It does look a bit odd when your used to D2s and the regular other ones, but as its been said, much nicer in person.

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Does anyone know if it is okay with USAC to race with the urge? I raced in Canada last year with a down-o-matic but the rules don't seem to allow it this year. Maybe if I prove them the European standard is equivalent to ASTM for USAC they'll change their mind.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
One caveat to consider, particularly if you live in a hot climate: Looks like the flexible visor material may not hold up to direct sunlight.

I live in AZ and the first visor on my Endur-o-matic warped badly during a ~3-hour ride. It was maybe in high 80s/low 90s, direct sunlight, but not really what we would consider "hot" yet.

Pricepoint arranged to ship me a new visor. This one looks like it's also beginning to warp after one 2-hour ride in direct sunlight.

Not sure if the full-face uses the same visor, but I suspect it's similar.

Still love the fit of the helmet, but the visor thing is weird.
The visor on the Down-O-Matics and Archi-Enduros are different than the visors on the Endur-O-Matic. Also, the issue with the visors on the Endur-O-Matic has been addressed and they will be replaced under warranty if anybody has a problem with them.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Does anyone know if it is okay with USAC to race with the urge? I raced in Canada last year with a down-o-matic but the rules don't seem to allow it this year. Maybe if I prove them the European standard is equivalent to ASTM for USAC they'll change their mind.
Since the US office for Urge has been set up a few months ago the helmets are certified for US standards. It is illegal to sell a bike helmet in the US if it does not meet US standards. Previously, you could have ordered it from another country and have had it shipped here but that doesn't mean that it meets US standards.

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Since the US office for Urge has been set up a few months ago the helmets are certified for US standards. It is illegal to sell a bike helmet in the US if it does not meet US standards. Previously, you could have ordered it from another country and have had it shipped here but that doesn't mean that it meets US standards.
Thanks!
Do you know if it's possible to find documentation stating US certifications for Urge or do you have contact info for the US office? It is pretty hard to get in touch with Urge and their website is not very useful.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Bikebling has the veggie in stock. I was there yesterday and it was on the rack.
yeah; got one on the way. surprised at the great price; chain reaction has them for 230gbp, or ~$380usd(!), and bb is selling them for $229. awesome!

vincent - have you actually had a race official question the certification of your lid? never heard of such a thing.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
yeah; got one on the way. surprised at the great price; chain reaction has them for 230gbp, or ~$380usd(!), and bb is selling them for $229. awesome!

vincent - have you actually had a race official question the certification of your lid? never heard of such a thing.

looking forward to a review of it once you get yours.
should i destroy my THE one carbon the urge was on top of my list because of the eco stuff :)

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Not yet since it's a new rule for this season but officials like to randomly enforce weird rules like hiding all skin when padding is not even mandatory so it's very possible that they ask me about it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
hows the ventilation in them? I'm skeptical about the "venturi" effect for ventilation.
I found myself starved for oxygen a touch(might be coincidence), I'm cutting out the bit of rubber under the chin, and possibly drilling/cleaning the gauze in the chin bit. Brilliant helmet but. and I don't mind the look.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009

Up here in Canadia they retail for $199 out of our local distributor. Very good deal IMO.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Up here in Canadia they retail for $199 out of our local distributor. Very good deal IMO.
yeah the regular down is $200 in vancouver as well. the linen composite veggie is an upcharge however (and not yet available here).

great value helmets regardless. a nice alternative to the overpriced / overhyped tld's.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Thanks!
Do you know if it's possible to find documentation stating US certifications for Urge or do you have contact info for the US office? It is pretty hard to get in touch with Urge and their website is not very useful.
The ones that meet US standards have another sticker on the inside stating that it is CPSC certified and distributed by South Shore Bicycles USA.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Destroyed the down-o-matic

So brought out the SX trail and literally was tearing it up felt good started to get used to the bike and increased speed. Body started to get tires so I slowed a bit then right at the ladder drops I heard his buddy coming in hot so I kept speed went wide and through the rocks off the ladder and figured Id loft the lower one to flat and keep from passing.

NOPE didnt work out so well, seperated rib, concussion, couldnt stand or see and dizzy, reinjured left wrist over extended the right wrist, knee looks like its got a baseball stuffed ontop of it and well the helmet shattered... LOL

Hit the dirt front end down to flat and landed face in, blacked out and then right back in got up and yelled at camerons buddy to hold my arm so I didnt fall... What a rush.
good helmet it took the hit ontop fractured it completely and both sides as well as jaw all have shattered areas cracks and missing chunks.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Destroyed the down-o-matic

NOPE didnt work out so well, seperated rib, concussion, couldnt stand or see and dizzy, reinjured left wrist over extended the right wrist, knee looks like its got a baseball stuffed ontop of it and well the helmet shattered... LOL

Hit the dirt front end down to flat and landed face in, blacked out and then right back in got up and yelled at camerons buddy to hold my arm so I didnt fall... What a rush.
DUDE! Glad it wasn't worse... Healing vibes! :shocked:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'm pretty late to this thread, just noticed it. In case you are looking for an Urge dealer, they are distributed by my main man Jason Schippers and his company Union Sport Group, they also do Royal Racing in the USA.

I have to say, I LOVE my EnduroMatic helmet. I used to ride Protec dirt jumping lids for XC because I couldn't bring myself to get all aero road style. The EnduroMatic is the first MTB helmet (read good ventilation) that I've ever been stoked on.

Carry on

Dave

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Travis heal up quickly! The Kali composite helmet is pretty light and reasonably priced.
Myself i will stay with my TLD D3 carbon helmets. Very light, fit extremely well and hold up great. I would still call TLD and see about crash replacement. I have seen them do it on helmets over a year old.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Travis heal up quickly! The Kali composite helmet is pretty light and reasonably priced.
Myself i will stay with my TLD D3 carbon helmets. Very light, fit extremely well and hold up great. I would still call TLD and see about crash replacement. I have seen them do it on helmets over a year old.
Thanks.

Im not sure im going back to the down o matic, im going to size up other lids side by side at bikebling. I think i may go back to tld or kali and give it a shot.
Not going to say i didnt crash hard but i want a little more protection. I have lumps on my head a cut and bruise through the lid.

I will say without the helmet i would have shattered my skull i firmly beleive it saved my @$$.

I will say its a good helmet with good strength to weight but id like a little more internal padding and a smidge more weight.

Sinner

Chimp
Feb 18, 2010
...Glad you're OK bud that was scary.

My next helmet will be TLD D3 as my D2 has taken a few too many hard hits.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
The first replacement visor I got for my endur-o-matic is already starting to buckle. I contacted jasons from this thread via PM reference the "improved" visor, but he never replied.