Quantcast

Vacuum Cleaner

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok... kind of a silly question but I need to purchase a vacuum cleaner and I've never bought a new one before.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what brand or where to buy one??

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Get a Dyson. Best vacuum cleaner we've owned, hands down.
:stupid:

I have one of the early generation Dyson's and I think they have corrected some of the quirky little things about it. Like the way you convert it from hand tool to regular floor sweeping. The thing is incredible and it really never looses vacuum!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So they work that well huh?

Where'd ya buy it?
Yeah, it works great. The amount of cat and dog hair that thing sucks up is amazing. And all you have to do to empty it is pull a latch.

They are not cheap though. I think our was $400 full retail. We bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon years ago, but they have since excluded Dyson products from the coupon eligibility.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, it works great. The amount of cat and dog hair that thing sucks up is amazing. And all you have to do to empty it is pull a latch.

They are not cheap though. I think our was $400 full retail. We bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon years ago, but they have since excluded Dyson products from the coupon eligibility.
In your opinion, what's the most comfortable tampon out there on the market?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My parents had/have one of thoes. Dumping that water out was the GROSSEST thing I've ever seen.
Lol! Mine too. I was hoping someone would catch the referance cause those things were terrible. If you vacuumed after not dumping the water, the whole house smelled like rancid death:biggrin: Terrible, terrible Idea that somehow got sold.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Lol! Mine too. I was hoping someone would catch the referance cause those things were terrible. If you vacuumed after not dumping the water, the whole house smelled like rancid death:biggrin: Terrible, terrible Idea that somehow got sold.
I think in some weird Polish backwards way you and I have lived seperate but equal lives.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I'll add another vote for the Dyson. The initial cost is high, but is much more reasonable after you consider that most (I am hesitant to say all) of the other vacuums have bags or filters that need to be replaced. I figured that if the Dyson lasts for 7 years, then it will have paid for itself in the cost of bags for our old vacuum.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Dyson Animal (you do have a dog, correct?)

I got ours through the refurbishing program, so it's like a 'previously owned car'...............

but cheaper.

although.... it's not as inexpensive as other brands...

linky

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Dyson's are that good, eh? What I've heard about that guy is that he's a marketing maestro. I've also heard that Orecks are way overrated.

Me? Kenmore Canister with a power head.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've got some dirt devil from Walmart. Seems to do a damn fine job, I don't understand the need for much else.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
OMGF and I have TWO collies.
Two very hairy, shedding all the time, collies.

we need a pretty dmn good vacuum.
My dog has fairly short hair, but he gets hair freaking EVERYWHERE. We have hardwoods and tile, so mostly we sweep, but for the rugs we have this crappy target vacuum called "The Shark" thate barely works. Why do they lose so much hair?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've got my own little zoo with two dogs and a cat. Cheap ass vacuum does a fine job with their hair. I just had to get the bagless type as I would go bankrupt if I had to buy bags.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Dyson's are that good, eh? What I've heard about that guy is that he's a marketing maestro. I've also heard that Orecks are way overrated.

Me? Kenmore Canister with a power head.
his design is very similar to most industrial dust collection systems used in wood shop's all over. the design works wonders and the poor guy spent a bunch of time developing it as a viable product to only have the design stolen by a large corp. who he fought through the courts, almost loosing his life savings before winning the court case, and developing his own company.

his story is one that I respect, and feel good that the little guy prevailed!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dysons, when rated by third parties, are generally given very mediocre ratings. Consumer reports has rated them only middle-of-the-pack several times, compared to less expensive vacuum cleaners. IIRC, one of the nicer Bissel cleaners came out on top last time.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
My dog has fairly short hair, but he gets hair freaking EVERYWHERE. We have hardwoods and tile, so mostly we sweep, but for the rugs we have this crappy target vacuum called "The Shark" thate barely works. Why do they lose so much hair?
for the hard surfaces, you might try one of those Swiffer vacs. I got one after reading about it here, and it does a much more thorough job than broom or dustmop.

gg

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Do they have any on the market that will shock my dog when he attacks it?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dysons, when rated by third parties, are generally given very mediocre ratings. Consumer reports has rated them only middle-of-the-pack several times, compared to less expensive vacuum cleaners. IIRC, one of the nicer Bissel cleaners came out on top last time.
How the F' do you know so much schit?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
From what I can recall (and this was a while ago), Dyson rated very highly in vacuum power and how well it sucks up dirt, but the overall rating dropped because of "value" (they are not cheap) and the fact that the attachments are kind of clunky to use.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Do they have any on the market that will shock my dog when he attacks it?
I used what is called "my left foot" for situations like that. However, Im strange...you may have to use your "right foot".

Kick it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, MBC's comsumerreports.com account still works!

The Dysons all rated "very good." No vacuum cleaner earned an "excellent" rating. Two of the top three are Kenmores. The 'Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870' earned the CR Best Buy rating.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey, MBC's comsumerreports.com account still works!

The Dysons all rated "very good." No vacuum cleaner earned an "excellent" rating. Two of the top three are Kenmores. The 'Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870' earned the CR Best Buy rating.
PRINT SCREEN

PASTE

LINK

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
a shop vac, they get both wet and dry messes. the ultimate lazy asses tool

but in all seriousness, ive used a dyson a few times and u dont have to make multiple passes to get all the stuff up like u do with other vacs

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've heard the same from a local vacuum shop thats an authorized Dyson dealer and services them. He fixes them often and he said the plastic on them is very brittle. He also said bag vacuum are better for those with allergies because you are basically putting an new filter all the time and you aren't exposed to the dust as much as bagless when you empty it. Allergy websites also confirm this:

Allergynursing.com said:
a leading consumer magazine also found the emptying of bagless vacuums to be a problem for people with allergies.

While bagless vacuums are convenient for people who forget to empty the bag, for people with allergies, the sealable HEPA filter bags appear to be best. To find some vacuum cleaners recommended especially for people with allergies

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...and there you go, middle of the pack (if the top 3 are not Dysons) :)

I've had a lot of dogs and cats my whole life and always got by without a $300 Dyson, guess I just don't see the appeal. My $60 Bissel doesn't exactly leave large quantities of cat hair still embedded in the carpet.

To each his own, though.

Incidentally, look for a vacuum where the filter and the debris holding chamber are seperate. My Bissel has a filter and then the debris chamber below it so when I empty it, I don't have to wipe all the crap off the filter and breathe it in.