Quantcast

Val di sole - WC finals 2017!!!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I am pretty sure Whiteley was his manager with TWR since he owned the team.
he also owns 23 degrees which also manages riders who aren't on his racing teams. I think weedman was still with gwin while on TWR.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Very good interview with Cécile Ravanel about how the decision was taken to race Val di Sole
http://www.vojomag.com/61666/
(Sorry it is in french...I guess you can pass it through Google translate)

Basically, it started as a joke in Whistler on August 13th, after she won the EWS. The next day she made phone calls to see how it could be possible. On August 21st, she tried the DH bike in San Romolo...to find out she was faster on her Enduro bike. Track walk on August 23rd. She finished 10th on August 26th.

Impressive stuff! I surely hope she decides to race the full DH season in 2018.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I honestly don't get how that is impressive.

She does do way better wheelies than all the top DH wiminz tho.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I honestly don't get how that is impressive.

She does do way better wheelies than all the top DH wiminz tho.
well.... could you show up to a WC and place top 10 on your first visit? I know I couldn't, and that's why it's impressive to me. Even if it's 9th out of 30 competitors, that's still in the top 30% of the field. I clearly could not approach the top 30% of the field.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Um.......16, not 30. 15 with a dns

So bottom 30% really :D
Indeed. I fail to see what all the fuss was about. She was over 20 seconds off the pace of the winner. That's a long time in elite downhill. Not to take away the fact that competing at VDS is gnarly as anything, but if this were any other rider no one would have batted an eyelid.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah considering it's VDS, it's just rad she completed a run. Nothing to scoff at but nothing to run around in circles with your hair on fire either.

She should commit herself full time to dh and really hone the craft. Then tell everyone she knows taking their chinbars off to pedal on dirt roads to do the same.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I think anybody trying a DH bike pretty much for the first time the week before any world cup and manage to not finish dead last deserves respect. Doing it at VDS makes it even more impressive IMO.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
umm...gwin only got 10th in his first WC race and now he's a gwinionaire. you guys aren't seeing the big picture.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
No we're seeing exactly the big picture. How many racers did Gwinn beat for that 10th?

How many did Cecile?

Just saying 10th place between the men's and women's field is completely incomparable.
your sarcasm meter is usually on point. you need someone to talk to, maybe an easy ride on an e29er to clear your mind?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Um.......16, not 30. 15 with a dns

So bottom 30% really :D
I'll admit I didn't double check, I was assuming a field of 30 entries. I think there's only 15 qualifiers, correct?

So I just went back to have a look. There were 18 entries. She qualified 9th (50th%), and finished 10th (33.3%). That's pretty darn good in my book. With a bit more prep and training, one could assume she would be up there challenging for the podium, imo. I'm no fan boy, and I totally agree that more enduro racers should be testing themselves in DH rather than the other way around, but I still find her result worthy of mention.

It's like enduro is the little pond, in the big fish/little pond analogy...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I doubt it would go the same way for the men. The women's field is, hate to say it, shallow. I doubt most of the men would even qualify, maybe the top 10-15 guys (esp ones with WC experience), maybe. highly doubt the rest could qualify for any WC. Guess we will see soon enough.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
well.... could you show up to a WC and place top 10 on your first visit?
in Wiminz?

TBH I´d be embarrassed as fuck if I couldn´t.
I´d be aiming to podium if my drag queen outfit got me all the way in to a WC