Quantcast

Vigo World Cup - DH pics added

eskimo

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
The kid sure is fast. However you only ever really see the results with mixed weather conditions. Me thinks maybe the british juniors just have luck with qualifying place happening to suit the finals weather just fine.

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
They may have had a bit of luck..but to qualify for a world cup is an achievement in itself..look at Gumps time at the recent British NPS..he was 2 seconds behind Peaty and ahead of some very fast riders, he has also getting faster all the time.
At the end of the day a result is a result.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
He may have got lucky with the weather, but Beaumont is on a flyer this year though - at Mountain Ash he put over 9 seconds into the next fastest rider (Sam Dale)!
He also kicked my ass by 40 seconds :shocked:... but that's not much of an achievement, let's be honest! :D

For all we know he knew about the weather forecast and intentionally qualified slow to get himself a drier run at the start of the day, in which case he was pretty spot on qualifying 77th out of 80! :)

http://www.dragondownhill.co.uk/2004site/results2007/rd2results/rd2Results.htm

eskimo

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
Like i said before. I wasn't doubting the kid was fast and to clarify, I wasn't talking about Beaumont. What I was saying was, the kid sure is fast however you only ever really see the results with mixed weather conditions.

Brendan is fast. And super lucky with his honda deal. He pulled a WC podium in simiar conditions but was never able to pull together a WC jersey. The aussie kids, nz kids pulled and qualified in most cases better but never made it like the brit kids did.

I just thought the brit kids had some luck when it came to weather and qualifying positions.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
For all we know he knew about the weather forecast and intentionally qualified slow to get himself a drier run at the start of the day, in which case he was pretty spot on qualifying 77th out of 80! :)
so true, that was close to missing the show. VERY risky to be that close.

i wonder how he did it? speculation?

bluetooth in his helmet with split timers?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That said I think he's in the top 20 last year so would qualify automatically without being in the top 80, so not that risky?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
he crashed bad in the semi... and was pretty banged up for the finals

from post race press release:

In yesterday’s qualifier, today’s winner, Marc Beaumont suffered a crash and just made it into the show qualifying in 75th position. Starting his race about 1:00 pm today, he had the best of the days changing conditions and sat in the hotseat until the end. He says, “I was 75th yesterday and I was in no fit state to race today with my shoulder and knee. I just rode solid and risked nothing. Still I have a hard time realizing that I won, it is taking some time for it to sink in.”

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
It was mixed weather so can anyone tell? Grouse mountain 03 to name a few!

Great to see marc on top. Bet he wishes he bought a lotto ticket aswell! Especially after nailing himself.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It seems that several are inferring that intermittent weather means the results are no longer credible, and that Marc's win was just a fluke- what about Schladming, when it started raining, and Sam came down the hill winning by what, 4 seconds, without any mud tires or anything?

Had it rained for Marc's run, he could have just as easily won with his British mud skills.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
What about nicolas vouilloz?
Nico was busy handing everyone in Turkey their collective arses. He was racing an IRC event (Rd.2, thats the International Rally Challenge). In a factory prepped proto Peaugot 207. Not bad for a skinny french kid.

I'll be at Champery, can't wait, never thought I would get to race against the legend!