Quantcast

wake the eff up! msa is this weekend, broflakes!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We didn't see the crash but those DSQs the last few years have been bullshit. You are not gaining, almost gaining or even moving in the correct direction of gaining time when you're on your ass cartwheeling though the woods. Minnaar Gwinn, Carpenter and Kerr have been royally fucked by a rule that in no way shape or form makes the racing more fair or better.
Remember this one?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It was pretty wild and wet from the side if the track. Great show, as usual. Jack Moir's line in the woods just after Les Dalles was ridiculous to watch.

It's amazing how quiet the bikes are these days. You can only hear the muffled sound of the low-pressure tires with foam inserts. Quite impressive when you recall the sound of the older monocoque alu bikes à la Foes Mono or Intense without clutch derailleurs.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Gwin was cutting all sorts of corners Sam Hill-style in the wet!!!
:headbang:
I was afraid it was Lourdes all over again, but Moir, Hart, and Gwin made that a frikken awesome race!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
We didn't see the crash but those DSQs the last few years have been bullshit. You are not gaining, almost gaining or even moving in the correct direction of gaining time when you're on your ass cartwheeling though the woods. Minnaar Gwinn, Carpenter and Kerr have been royally fucked by a rule that in no way shape or form makes the racing more fair or better.
You can't blame the UCI. They just want to keep "the spirit of ENDURO" (formerly known as french lines) out of DH racing. I am pretty sure folks would try to shortcut if this rule would not be in place. Especially yesterday with a tight taped course there were a couple of spots where you could have made time. But I agree, as soon as you kiss the dirt you most likely don't make time, but this was always a grey area before. Now it is clearly regulated.
Good that they don't enforce the no tight fitting clothing rule, otherwise Tahnee would have been DQ'd. ;)

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Fair point - some of the recent DQs have been arbitrary. There should be a better process for review rather than the black-and-white of the current situation.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well, weather is weather and its part of racing, congrats to Elliot Jackson for cracking the top 10! Think that's his first time!

There have been some pretty amazing races this year. MSA and Leogang were so exciting to watch.

I have high hopes for VDS, this has to be one of the most exciting seasons in awhile, three riders who could reasonably walk away with the overall without hoping for a miracle or a problem for one of them, and its on arguably the most exciting trail of the season to watch. The end of season "oh god why aren't there more races" is gonna be rough this year.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I thought Hart's run was worthy of the win.
Then Gwin came down cutting those inside lines and taking all that time out of the field. A worthy winner.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'll say it again, Gwin sees lines nobody else does. That guy is a machine.
Its kind of like watching a less wild Sam Hill. A wild ride but without those O FUCK WUT moments that Sam had a few times.

And yeah Rachel's near miss, I almost tossed my beer into the ceiling on that one. The replay should have warnings for those. :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What a race. Great coverage (aside from FKN Claudio chiming in with his 'secret' knowledge of the earlier split times the whole damn time) and just balls to the wall epic riding.

Rachel's tank-slap was fuckin terrifying to watch.
Gwin, Moir, Hart, Brosnan, et al - Just magical in those conditions
Gwin - The dude has waaaaaay more character than his interviews let show. Yet another legendary run from him.

Also, the women's racing is finally really worth watching again. That was a legitimate win for Tahnee - her pace was brilliant.

KAZHA

Chimp
Feb 20, 2015
Flat AF
I LOL'd when Hart did his show off thing.I bet he hoped his run will be remembered like SH in Champery.From his Champery victory I've been less of a Hart fan every season, now everyone who wins, except Hart, will be my hero :/
Gwinn's post race interview was pure gold!
Bummed for Minnar's DQ, but will be interesting to see another season ending in VDS, this time with GM beeing followed, instead of him chasing, which ended in disaster!

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
anyone have the points, or are the UCI lizurds still deciding who gets what?

Also sales of Onza tires will be at an all time high this week

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I LOL'd when Hart did his show off thing.I bet he hoped his run will be remembered like SH in Champery.From his Champery victory I've been less of a Hart fan every season, now everyone who wins, except Hart, will be my hero :/
Bummed for Minnar's DQ, but will be interesting to see another season ending in VDS, this time with GM beeing followed, instead of him chasing, which ended in disaster!
Agreed on the Hart thing. Something about him is pretty "ehhhh."

He is fun watching though, and he does go fast, so I'm willing to forgive it.

But celebrating with a 2nd when Brosnan and Moir just went and showed you it was possible and put up similarly fast times in the same conditions was pretty funny, especially when Gwin won.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
anyone have the points, or are the UCI lizurds still deciding who gets what?

Also sales of Onza tires will be at an all time high this week
I dont know points outside of the top three, but according to the graphic redbull put up of the overall, Minnaar is ahead of Gwin by 33 points and ahead of Troy by 77.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Outside the Minnaar-Gwin battle, Troy's season has been an amazing one so far. And seems Jack Moir has found himself a pretty comfy space in the top five.

Anyway, even when the tracks are getting moar and moar highway-like these days the way the sport is progressing is frankly amazing. And once again we can say BMXers own MTBers for good. Anyone with a BMX racing background has a superior handling of the bike.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Agreed on the Hart thing. Something about him is pretty "ehhhh."

He is fun watching though, and he does go fast, so I'm willing to forgive it.

But celebrating with a 2nd when Brosnan and Moir just went and showed you it was possible and put up similarly fast times in the same conditions was pretty funny, especially when Gwin won.
Give the guy a break. I would celebrate too. Getting a world cup podium is awesome. Enjoy it, even moreso under those conditions. Celebrate all you want Danny.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I don't get what's wrong with celebrating and a little showmanship either. Everybody who came within striking distance in the wet celebrated and god forbid some racers show a hint of joy and personality. I also don't see what's so unlikable about Hart - sure he's not the prettiest man to ever walk the earth and speaks an almost imcomprehensible dialect of the Queen's English, but i find that almost endearing. I wouldn't mind more Vergiers, Atwills and Harts at all.

Last edited:

KAZHA

Chimp
Feb 20, 2015
Flat AF
I don't get what's wrong with celebrating and a little showmanship either. Everybody who came within striking distance in the wet celebrated and god forbid some racers show a hint of joy and personality. I also don't see what's so unlikable about Hart - sure he's not the prettiest man to ever walk the earth and speaks an almost imcomprehensible dialect of the Queen's English, but i find that almost endearing. I wouldn't mind more Vergiers, Atwills and Harts at all.
it's not about his looks or English(as a non-native English speaking person,I don't have any problem understanding him).http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/members/william42.23494/
if he'd been last man down and nobody even has come close to Dean's time, then I would not frown upon his joy, but we all know what came after + to me he does give off somewhat arrogant vibe,but maybe it is just me. hats off to him as a bike rider, but as a sports personality - not so much.
I can't wait for Val Di Sole, it is going to be somehow epic, compared to previous seasons.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
On a different subject, anybody else excited to see Charlie Harrison is 20th overall right now? Now we have Gwin, Shaw, Mullaly, and Harrison who are all capable of being good at mountain biking and from America at the same time!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe,but instead of being written in history like Sam in Champery, his accomplishment of all this is 3rd place, so I'm stil MEH about him
not sure if trolling or stupid..... but sam hill got 3rd place in champery.

different circumstances on the top 2 steps of the podium.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe D. Hart was happy because he just had a bunch of fun riding his bike.

I personally don't understand that. I don't enjoy being on a bike, I am just in it for the Strava results.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry Danny Hart haters, I used to be one of you, but then I found out my opinion of somebody was wrong. I found it out on the internet.

Thanks internet!