Quantcast

warning : we're heading to a recession

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
watched some (15 min) madmoney today.
i think jim's producers let him know beforehand: "you will eat chit before a live audience"

catch the re-air if you can.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
uhhhhh, people do realize the difference between investing *with* Bear Sterns (ie, you have an account at bear.com), and investing *in* Bear Sterns (buying BSC, Bear's common stock). If you invest *with* Bear Sterns, your money is fine. If you invested *in* Bear Sterns, you're f**ked. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea which the caller was referring to when he talked about taking his money out of Bear Sterns, but the piling on is just a bit over the top. Makes me think foxnews viewers happened to be watching Cramer for some reason... :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from my nyc connection re: cramer: "He's a jackass. And a crook. Did you know that he is good friends with Eliot Spitzer? Spitzer used to be an investor in Cramer's hedge fund."
lol..uhh... :dead:

"This video has been removed by the user."

that was quick. what was it?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
from my nyc connection re: cramer: "He's a jackass. And a crook. Did you know that he is good friends with Eliot Spitzer? Spitzer used to be an investor in Cramer's hedge fund.""This video has been removed by the user."

that was quick. what was it?
damn!!! sure was!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It seems to me that 'in a nutshell' the fed and other factors are placing massive pressure on the dollar to continue devaluing against other currencies, and that for America, and in the medium term, people like you N_8, this is bad.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
It seems to me that 'in a nutshell' the fed and other factors are placing massive pressure on the dollar to continue devaluing against other currencies, and that for America, and in the medium term, people like you N_8, this is bad.
apparent to anyone who's taken the time to remove head from portfolio <snip-ping> and ass <> can easily ascertain that the only way the dollar is going to “get along” with all the other little currencies on the school yard is to ______----------->^^^^^^^^^~~~~~~~_____:plthumbsdown:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
frikkin crybabies.

so much for my limit order.

p.s. kinda fun watching the ticker lose 10 pts every minute. it'll stop being fun soon.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Just so I'm straight on all this:

Basically the Fed and others are punishing those that have gone the traditonal way of paying bills on time and saving money by making it more lucrative to get credit and devalue my dollars in savings and propping up and supporting the lazy assed idiots who just live on Visa and Mastercard and just buy until they can't pay and then declare bankruptcy and get absolved of all debts to start the cycle over.

White collar welfare, perhaps?

Any rules on moving to Canada?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Dear US$,
Please die a long lingering death and take that cunting pound sterling with you, as well as that bastard Australian $. Please remain dead until my next round of travelling is complete.
Regards VB
P.S- loving your work so far this year.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Good call. :D
Dunno what you're grinning about, sucks for you blokes if you're planning to travel. Europe is basically an anal fisting for you lot at the moment. Actually Europe is bum rape for anybody not earning Euros.:disgust1:

For the first time since I've lived in Japan (11+years) the yen is at less than 100 to the dollar, so all the Yank expats here sending coin home are cheering, the Poms too as the pound is worth less than 200 yen for the first time in 10 years. Meanwhile the Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians are all crying as their dollars are at all time highs.
I don't send money home so I'm OK, plus I'm going to London in August and all the pointy-heads have the yen gaining strength until at least mid-year. Go you heathen bastard currency.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dunno what you're grinning about, sucks for you blokes if you're planning to travel. Europe is basically an anal fisting for you lot at the moment. Actually Europe is bum rape for anybody not earning Euros.:disgust1:
You're just getting your due. Wife and I traveled back in Europe back in '99. Everything was cheap. Hell, we even bought the wife's diamond ring in Antwerp while we were there. All our traveling is domestic for the foreseeable future, anyways...

Live it up, mate!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You're just getting your due. Wife and I traveled back in Europe back in '99. Everything was cheap. Hell, we even bought the wife's diamond ring in Antwerp while we were there. All our traveling is domestic for the foreseeable future, anyways...

Live it up, mate!
Cheers SS, most of my international travel is to Australia so for most of the time I've been here the A$ has been pretty weak so I've done alright. The last few trips didn't stretch my yen as far as they did before. Didn't help that Australia has basically become twice as expensive in the last 5 years.:disgust1:

I think the domestic route may be the way to go for you blokes for a while, not as if there's a shortage of things to see. The low dollar should help those in the tourist industry as the US will be cheaper than usual. You'll be getting masses of Euros this summer.

Hopefully the frontline warriors in the WoT will realise giving German grannies the rubber glove treatment is not good for business and will back off a bit with their retarded security.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
I think the domestic route may be the way to go for you blokes for a while, not as if there's a shortage of things to see. The low dollar should help those in the tourist industry as the US will be cheaper than usual. You'll be getting masses of Euros this summer.

Hopefully the frontline warriors in the WoT will realise giving German grannies the rubber glove treatment is not good for business and will back off a bit with their retarded security.
I'm starting to think that a nice little pad up in the mountains catering exclusively to furriners might be the way to go for the next few years. :D

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
$17 bucks a week in gasoline a while back. Now I'm looking at $63 bucks a week. That's a minimum of an extra $2208 a year. I have been spying an Intense for years. I just bought a big hit bike but I opted for the cheaper deal at $1850. I can only speak for myself but gas is just taking what I had left in my pocket to spend and tossing it in the tank. I would have bought an Intense but had to use the cash to live ya know. If I could buy alcohol or natural gas, I'd convert my vehicles to get a buck a gallon prices again. Anyone relate?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Barron's this week attempts to explain the rationale behind the Commodity Boom.

"...commodities in general were fully valued in terms of the fundamentals as of early September 2007. Based on the 24-commodity S&P Goldman Sachs Commodity Index, that would mean about a 30% collapse from present levels. But, he adds, "Given the tendency for prices to overshoot, commodity values could be cut in half before they stabilize."

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Watch, oil will fall to $50/bbl the Dow will rise 5,000 and we'll call this the shortest "recession" in the history of modern economics. :D

Oil slides further

Prices fall to near $101 a barrel amid broad sell-off in commodities.
April 1, 2008: 5:17 AM EDT

SINGAPORE (AP) -- Oil prices fell further Tuesday after sliding more than $4 a barrel in the previous session on concerns about waning crude demand and a general sell-off in commodities.

Speculators have poured money into commodities in recent weeks as a hedge against inflation and a weakening dollar, which neared its all-time low against the euro Monday. But instead of buying on Monday, traders sold off a wide range of commodities, from precious metals and gasoline to pork bellies and soybeans.

"The oil market's sentiment has turned bearish for the time being," said Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore. "The trigger event was the collapse of Bear Stearns."
Crude futures started plunging in March after the U.S. Federal Reserve-backed sale of Bear Stearns Cos. (BSC, Fortune 500) to JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM, Fortune 500) in March created fears of deeper economic problems.

Light, sweet crude for May delivery lost 52 cents to $101.06 a barrel in Asian electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange by midafternoon in Singapore. The contract dropped $4.04 to settle at $101.58 a barrel Monday.

Analysts, though, are split on oil's direction. Many think prices will rise to new records in coming months as the dollar weakens further. Others say such high prices can't be sustained.

"All the latest data out of the U.S. shows demand in the first quarter has actually shrunk versus the same period last year," Shum said. "That's a very strong sign of how much stress the U.S. economy is going through and how that has impacted demand."

Barring any new supply disruptions, Shum said he believes prices will move lower.

Crude prices have also been easing on reports of relative calm in Iraq, where two attacks on oil pipelines in Basra last week raised concerns about a plunge in exports. An official with the country's South Oil Co. said Saturday that operations were back to normal.
Heating oil futures dropped 1.71 cents to $2.889 a gallon while gasoline prices lost 1 cent to $2.6171 a gallon. Natural gas futures fell 11.4 cents to $9.987 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, Brent crude rose 5 cents to $100.35 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Seems to be we are are the start of a long term market rally...

I feel we will end the year up.
faith-based investing?

the 300 day average is still trending south, the 50 day is almost flat, and we haven't been able to hold above the 50 day since November. banks are still writing down losses from sub-prime (another 19b from UBS), housing prices plummeted last month, and consumer sentiment is lower than it has been in years... I'm not sure which way it's heading, but I was wondering what your reasons were for it being the start of a long-term market rally?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
faith-based investing?

the 300 day average is still trending south, the 50 day is almost flat, and we haven't been able to hold above the 50 day since November. banks are still writing down losses from sub-prime (another 19b from UBS), housing prices plummeted last month, and consumer sentiment is lower than it has been in years... I'm not sure which way it's heading, but I was wondering what your reasons were for it being the start of a long-term market rally?
probably more hope thinking than anything else... but when the SPX moved through a very tough barrier at 1325 on 20 Mar (even with a pull back to 1315 last Fri) i think we are looking at it over coming 1375-80 soon. If it closes below 1325 continuously, i will rethink my opinion... :)

It's still rough out there..

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
dow up 2.5%
hpq up 4% & getting closer to my strike....c'mon....daddy needs an enduro...or a nomad...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
It's still rough out there..
ya, I've just been watching the indexes compared to their moving averages, and every time they get up close to the 50 day (or just above it), there seems to be a sell off and it drops back below it (and then drags it down even further).

comparing this to the period between Aug '06 and July '07 where it hardly ever dipped below the 50day

dunno though. part of me keeps wondering when the BIG drop is going to come, if at all. July '02 was bad, Oct '02 was worse. the markets were in a loooooong slow decline from Sept '00 to Nov '03, when it finally turned around for good. Various scandals/world events shaped that (tech bubble, recession, 9/11, options scandals, etc), but the reality is that it was a long, slow bear market, and (almost) anyone who bought in early '02 thinking that the worst was over was in for a world of hurt 6-9months later.

the other stock market declines that I've seen at some point lead to a "shakeout". they'll be rocky for a bit, slowly going down further, and further, and further, and at some point all of the panicky investors pull EVERYTHING out and run for the hills (and that's when you find the real bottom). as long as the optimistic attitude of "things are getting better, honest!!" is out there, there's never going to be the big sell-off that's necessary to shake out the casual investors, get stocks cheap based on their value (and not just on past prices), and work at going back up again.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good time to buy a house if you can afford it, though. Housing is just starting to dip here, but local sales are going for an average 20% off the list price.

Granted the list price is still highly inflated in some areas, but by the end of the year, things might be a little more realistic.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Good time to buy a house if you can afford it, though. Housing is just starting to dip here, but local sales are going for an average 20% off the list price.

Granted the list price is still highly inflated in some areas, but by the end of the year, things might be a little more realistic.
as long as you can a) pay the mortgage and b) plan to stay for awhile, it's almost always a good idea. the problem comes from people who suddenly can't pay their mortgage, try to pull value out of it through HELOCs, or who have to sell it and owe more than the house is worth.