Quantcast

(|)WED GMT WTF(|)

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Morning, was up till midnight quartering and de-boning the first successful deer for the season. So far this makes for a substantially better season so far than last year
Be careful out there (myself included) as Hyperphagia seems to be kicking in around these parts (south Gravelly's i.e. not terribly far from my happy places down by the Henry's...)

I removed the photos, as I'm not adept at the NSFW tag, but some tasty grizzly nibblings in the article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/grizzly-bear-mauls-bow-hunter-southwestern-montana-222750802.html

Grizzly bites, claws hunter; man's head got worst of it

AMY BETH HANSON

This photo provided by Tom Sommer shows wounds that Sommer sustained after a grizzly bear mauled him on Monday, Sept. 4, 2017, in southwestern Montana. "I could hear bones crunching, just like you read about," said Sommer, as he recovered in a Montana hospital on Tuesday. (Tom Sommer via AP)
HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A grizzly bear feasting on an elk carcass charged a bow hunter in Montana and attacked him, slashing a 16-inch (41-centimeter) cut in the man's head that required 90 stitches to close.

"The bear just flat-out charged us," said Tom Sommer, as he recovered in a Montana hospital on Tuesday afternoon. He said it closed the 30-foot (9-meter) distance in 3 or 4 seconds.

"It bit my thigh, ran his claws through my wrist and proceeded to attack my head," Sommer said. "I could hear bones crunching, just like you read about."

Sommer said he and a hunting partner were looking for an elk they had been calling Monday morning when his partner spotted the grizzly in the southern end of the Gravelly Range, just north of the Idaho border.

His hunting partner unleashed a blast of bear spray, which slowed the bear's charge. Sommer said he grabbed his canister so quickly that he couldn't release the safety and he couldn't afford to look down as the bear closed in. He ran around a tree twice and dropped his bear spray in the process.

Sommer then grabbed his pistol and turned to confront the bear.

He still had his pistol in his hand and was going to shoot the bear in the neck when it swatted his arm down, Sommer said.

"Just like that it stopped. He stopped biting me, he got up and started to run away," said Sommer, who splits his time among Idaho, Missouri and Florida.

His hunting partner had been able to deploy the rest of his bear spray, ending the attack Sommer estimated lasted about 25 seconds.

"It could have been a lot worse," he said.

Sommer found his bear spray canister. His hunting partner had some blood coagulation powder and they made a turban, stopping the bleeding after about 15 minutes.

They walked a mile back to their camp and rode mules another 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) out to their base camp, followed by a 2-hour ride in a pickup truck to get to the hospital in Ennis.

"Through it all I was very conscious, very level-headed and low key about it," Sommer said. "Besides some scars, it doesn't appear that I will have any problems."

"I've been a hunter my whole life," said Sommer, 57. "I have no grievance against the bear. He was just doing what bears do. But I would have shot him just the same.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got a voicemail from the doc. I have a severe ligament injury and require surgery. No shit Sherlock, you can literally see bone and ligament balled up in the wrong location, didn't need a fucking MRI to figure that out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What kinds of research projects would you work on?
Current stuff I have kicking around:

- telling whether adrenal nodules on CT are adenomas or not based off of a method that simulates doing a histogram by modeling it as a Gaussian distribution and changing the standard deviation to adjust for CT noise
- looking at 5 years' worth of p-values from one particular journal and finding out whether the distribution of p-values suggests that authors are engaging in "p-hacking": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_dredging
- grant (re-)application for a clinical trial to test a method I came up with to decide whether or not to biopsy thyroid nodules
- work on existing computer model of MR angiography to apply to slightly different techniques of basically the order of how the images are acquired

Common theme in most of what I do is computers + math. Where that intersects with radiology is where I spend my academic time. If you're super bored here's what I've written +/- stuff in the last half year: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=85bK3dEAAAAJ

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
charles bradley has cancer again.

this shit is not fair.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Current stuff I have kicking around:

- telling whether adrenal nodules on CT are adenomas or not based off of a method that simulates doing a histogram by modeling it as a Gaussian distribution and changing the standard deviation to adjust for CT noise
- looking at 5 years' worth of p-values from one particular journal and finding out whether the distribution of p-values suggests that authors are engaging in "p-hacking": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_dredging
- grant (re-)application for a clinical trial to test a method I came up with to decide whether or not to biopsy thyroid nodules
- work on existing computer model of MR angiography to apply to slightly different techniques of basically the order of how the images are acquired

Common theme in most of what I do is computers + math. Where that intersects with radiology is where I spend my academic time. If you're super bored here's what I've written +/- stuff in the last half year: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=85bK3dEAAAAJ

Thanks! :nerd:

I'm always fascinated by our membership - the diversity of backgrounds is astonishing. Bikes bridge the gap.

....well, sorta. I mean, we do have Westy. :jester:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Be careful out there (myself included) as Hyperphagia seems to be kicking in around these parts (south Gravelly's i.e. not terribly far from my happy places down by the Henry's...)

I removed the photos, as I'm not adept at the NSFW tag, but some tasty grizzly nibblings in the article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/grizzly-bear-mauls-bow-hunter-southwestern-montana-222750802.html

Grizzly bites, claws hunter; man's head got worst of it

AMY BETH HANSON

This photo provided by Tom Sommer shows wounds that Sommer sustained after a grizzly bear mauled him on Monday, Sept. 4, 2017, in southwestern Montana. "I could hear bones crunching, just like you read about," said Sommer, as he recovered in a Montana hospital on Tuesday. (Tom Sommer via AP)
HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A grizzly bear feasting on an elk carcass charged a bow hunter in Montana and attacked him, slashing a 16-inch (41-centimeter) cut in the man's head that required 90 stitches to close.

"The bear just flat-out charged us," said Tom Sommer, as he recovered in a Montana hospital on Tuesday afternoon. He said it closed the 30-foot (9-meter) distance in 3 or 4 seconds.

"It bit my thigh, ran his claws through my wrist and proceeded to attack my head," Sommer said. "I could hear bones crunching, just like you read about."

Sommer said he and a hunting partner were looking for an elk they had been calling Monday morning when his partner spotted the grizzly in the southern end of the Gravelly Range, just north of the Idaho border.

His hunting partner unleashed a blast of bear spray, which slowed the bear's charge. Sommer said he grabbed his canister so quickly that he couldn't release the safety and he couldn't afford to look down as the bear closed in. He ran around a tree twice and dropped his bear spray in the process.

Sommer then grabbed his pistol and turned to confront the bear.

He still had his pistol in his hand and was going to shoot the bear in the neck when it swatted his arm down, Sommer said.

"Just like that it stopped. He stopped biting me, he got up and started to run away," said Sommer, who splits his time among Idaho, Missouri and Florida.

His hunting partner had been able to deploy the rest of his bear spray, ending the attack Sommer estimated lasted about 25 seconds.

"It could have been a lot worse," he said.

Sommer found his bear spray canister. His hunting partner had some blood coagulation powder and they made a turban, stopping the bleeding after about 15 minutes.

They walked a mile back to their camp and rode mules another 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) out to their base camp, followed by a 2-hour ride in a pickup truck to get to the hospital in Ennis.

"Through it all I was very conscious, very level-headed and low key about it," Sommer said. "Besides some scars, it doesn't appear that I will have any problems."

"I've been a hunter my whole life," said Sommer, 57. "I have no grievance against the bear. He was just doing what bears do. But I would have shot him just the same.
I just read that article... The smoke has been absolutely terrible as you well know.

I will be sticking to the Gallatin county areas and the crazy mountains, no recorded grizzlies there as of yet..... Still will be keeping quite the weary eye out for them. Spray and side arm are at the ready

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks! :nerd:

I'm always fascinated by our membership - the diversity of backgrounds is astonishing. Bikes bridge the gap.

....well, sorta. I mean, we do have Westy. :jester:

Do I not fascinate you?

Check your PM's, but not at work or in front of the wife and kids or really anyone with decent eyesight. Also best to go incognito and preferably on a disposable device.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
As far as I can tell you have to be super fucked up to pull that one off. Like weaving in traffic and falling over fucked up.
Went through a stop sign in front of a off duty cop. He has 3 prior DWI's. Bail is $4000. He claims he didn't know he couldn't ride a bike drunk. Word of advice if your drunken biking do not claim during your arraignment, that you didn't know that it was wrong to ride your bike drunk down a busy street in front of the DA and Judge... Hire a lawyer also....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Went through a stop sign in front of a off duty cop. He has 3 prior DWI's. Bail is $4000. He claims he didn't know he couldn't ride a bike drunk. Word of advice if your drunken biking do not claim during your arraignment, that you didn't know that it was wrong to ride your bike drunk down a busy street in front of the DA and Judge... Hire a lawyer also....
Yikes. 3 DUIs so he rides a bike to avoid DUIs, gets a DUI on the bike. Gotta feel bad for the guy.

Interesting related quandary.....

In Cali if you refuse a roadside sobriety test you are assumed to be over the limit because of "implied consent", since you signed over your rights when you got your lisence. Is this the case with bikes?

Asking for a friend who rides bikes drunk.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yikes. 3 DUIs so he rides a bike to avoid DUIs, gets a DUI on the bike. Gotta feel bad for the guy.

Interesting related quandary.....

In Cali if you refuse a roadside sobriety test you are assumed to be over the limit because of "implied consent", since you signed over your rights when you got your lisence. Is this the case with bikes?

Asking for a friend who rides bikes drunk.
I don't know. He can't lose his license, because he doesn't have one. His sister told me lost his job also. Which is a shame as he is a talented chef.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
hey just curious did your principal or whoever didn't think you were actually gonna quit have their head explode?
Superintendent -- He looked pissed and shocked beyond belief when I handed him my letter! The (elementary) Principal stammered and asked if it was good news...I replied "guess that depends on who you are, have a good year" and walked out the door! The HS principal who was my boss gave me a big hug and wished me luck, even though a teacher of my caliber doesn't need luck, just well-deserved respect (he almost made me cry--he has fought this since he found out about it too).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
How did the whole resignation-thing work out? Did I miss that thread?
Sorry - thought I replied, but not sure what technology fail I was having. I personally delivered my letter to the Principals, Superintendent and Board of Ed (secretary).
Superintendent -- He looked pissed and shocked beyond belief when I handed him my letter! He was the one who said I wouldn't do it.
The (elementary) Principal stammered and asked if it was good news...I replied "guess that depends on who you are, have a good year" and walked out the door!
The HS principal who was my boss gave me a big hug and wished me luck, even though "a teacher of my caliber doesn't need luck, just well-deserved respect" (he almost made me cry--he has fought this since he found out about it too).
I'm officially unemployed and it's been raining every damn day so I still can't ride my bike lol!