Quantcast

Wenatchee recap

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Lay bickering to rest, did all of you enjoy the race? I had a great time. got a little black plague on sat, so spent saturday at the hotel again, but rebounded enough to get out sunday. my 2 runs were pretty medeocre, getting off my bike and pushing it up the small uphill section after the right turn near the top BOTH runs kinda took my head out of the run, but enjoyed myself none the less. Im really gonna try to get more practice / training before the nats so i can get finish off the season with a bang.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
It was a really good weekend. Good weather. No speeding tickets. Man, it got cold at night. For some reason, I thought the asphalt of the parking lot would be softer.

I had decided not to race this one, just focus a bit on shooting / selling some video. But I really wanted to race all weekend! When everybody started to get really for practice/race it felt really odd to be standing there holding my camera bag. I thought that I would have time to just sit around and relax, but it was more work in some ways than racing. Between running up and down the hill, dodging crashes, shooting vid, blazin’ though the bushes trying to get to the next corner without getting run over, and charging batteries…. I was beat.

I ended up meeting a lot of cool people and their family members. It is something that you don’t get to do much of when you are on the hill. But, I would rather be on the hill on my bike.

It looked like another course that would bite when you least expect it (and hopefully I got it on tape). But, there was a couple of nasty crashes that required emergency vehicle type attention, hope every body is ok.

---g

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
I had a great time this weekend. Couldn't make practice on Saturday, so I was happy to see the course pretty much how I remembered it Sunday morning. Practice runs went good, and the first run felt good. Thought I could have pedaled a bit more, though. Second run, I started pushing a bit faster, and sort of washed out the first off camber right. Didn't go down, but lost a lot of momentum. The traction in the field went to crap between runs, must have dried out a bit. I found myself about 10 feet outside the tape on the last big left hand sweeper before hitting the gravel road back into the woods. I panicked for a second, until I realized ALL the tape was down through there, I wasn't the first one to do it, so I pinned it to catch the course again! All the rest went well. Can't wait until next year, so I can race in the 30-39 class. A podium position there is close to last in the 19-29 Expert. Oh well, still had a great time. I love the transponder setup, the WIM crew really seems to be trying harder this year. I appreciate that! On a side note, I rode at Leavenworth this morning. Caught the Trace trail out of Peshastin. Some of the coolest riding I've done lately. Rock faces, huge ridge lines, jumps, drops, scary ladder roll down with ridge-line run out (don't get off line, it's a long way down!) Lots a fun. Talk to the Das Rad Haus fellers in Leavenworth, they've got some shuttle input.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
So, Sebring, was that you that passed me about 5 up by Kacheelus going over Sno-crummy in a green MG with a black Cannondale strapped on the back?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I hate all the pedaling on that course, but I still had lots of fun. I was so pooped on my 2nd run, I was 10 sec slower. But for all my efforts I got my first podium of the season - 5th in Sport Mens 30-39. Woohoo!

Oh and dammit ggrub - both times I go down in practice there's a video camera there.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Borneo said:
So, Sebring, was that you that passed me about 5 up by Kacheelus going over Sno-crummy in a green MG with a black Cannondale strapped on the back?
That would be the man.

Sebring, Do you need those fox spacers from tha shock? I noticed they were still in the shock. I can ship em to ya if you need them back. Just let me know.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Five said:
I hate all the pedaling on that course, but I still had lots of fun. I was so pooped on my 2nd run, I was 10 sec slower. But for all my efforts I got my first podium of the season - 5th in Sport Mens 30-39. Woohoo!

Oh and dammit ggrub - both times I go down in practice there's a video camera there.
I have a good pic of you..... i just need to get it posted......

congrats on the podium.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I had a great time also. I never really felt good in practice. Between having trouble with clips and considering platforms, and a stomach thing i was just not feeling it. But once race time hit i had worked the bugs out and managed to pull togeether 2 clean runs to get me my first 3rd place WIM podium. It was a good time as always. It does seem too like WIM has pulled a little more together on the DH side., Now if they only didnt make the final the same time as the nat i would be happy with them...but since it is set up like that this year WIM still gets the unhappy face from me. Maybe next year they can have a race after the NAT to make it the final.

Grubb, The DVD was real good. I finally got to see what i look like coming down the hill. Hope i make it into the next one!! :wink: :wink:

WIM racings over for me, so see yall in whistler now...and good luck to those headed to idaho....

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am going to fire my mechanic (me)! :rolleyes:

:D

I dropped my chain in the trees above the road gap....so once I landed teh road gap my chain sucked into the swingarm via the tire making a horrible sound. lol People I didn't know were asking me if everything was OK between runs because EVERYONE COULD HEAR ME coming throw the meadow. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (chain rubbing the tire knobs) I thought my tire was rubbing my swing arm so I stopped to find I had only dropped teh chain....well I tried to get the chain back on (one rider passes me) I turn my bike upside down and start fiddling( another rider passes me)

Rhino's Horn(spidey) sense goes off and says to just coast the rest of the way and fix it before teh second run. So I coasted teh rest of teh way and only needed to take about 4-5 steps in that last tree section at the finish. If I had been thinking (had wisdom) the moment I saw that it was just the chain I should have coasted the rest fo the way and saved a minute or more on my run. As it was I was like 1:38 or something behind first and I let two guys by and couldn't pedal at all on the lower half....such is life. I am now wiser beyond my pre-Squilchucker years. :rolleyes: :)

Second run I was sketchy through the upper woods....trying to keep my chain where it was supposed to be. ;) and rode like a drunken rhino the rest of the way....

Most of all I had a blast! I wasn't mad at the mechanical...damn mechanic. I was mad at the fact I farted around for over a minute before deciding to coast in....chalking it up to a learning experience.

Mutoli thought it was funny I was able to coast up the little up hill near the bottom of the parking lot...but I had some girth helping me accelerate before then. ;)

I have always liked Wenatchee. I always seem to have a good time there regardless of the results.

Rhino

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Man, I had to give it all I had to make it up that darn hill! :D Ok, maybe it wasn't that bad, but by my second race run I was pooped :drool:
I had a good time!

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Killer time. I hit i tree in my first practice run where you take a left from the gravel road at the bottom and the trail snakes left between the trees. That was my first ever run on this course so I had way too much speed for the corner. My shoulder hit the first tree on the left spinning me off the bike and into the trees on the right. I hit those, stopped & peeled off, just like in the cartoons when you hit a wall, down to the ground. I thought my collar bone was toast for a minute there. That was one of my hardest crashes yet. Thank god for Dainese! Dusted myself off and road the rest of the weekend without mishap. The only thing that bugged me was when I was done with my first race run the course officials made me switch transponders with another rider. I thought I would have to wait a week before getting a result. I guess with the new system it was not a problem 'cause I got my results with everyone else so that was pretty cool. I have a lock on 8th Expert 30-39. Not the greatest results when there is only 13 people in your class but I'm in the top ten! :D

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Bullitrider said:
Killer time. I hit i tree in my first practice run where you take a left from the gravel road at the bottom and the trail snakes left between the trees.
i crashed there too in my first run but i didn't hit a tree, i just washed out in the second left of that woods section. this was my first time on that course and i had not expected it to be so tight in the trees and so loose and rocky. it was still pretty fun though and my second run was 11 seconds faster, so i guess that's good. i only got 12/14 in jr. sport so i guess i need a little practice. oh well i've got three more years in the class so its all good. i noticed though that there were several sandbaggers or sumthin in the beginner class, some of whom could have podiumed in jr. sport. when you've got a five thousand dollar bike and you can whoop most of the sport class you have no place in beginner unless it's ur first race and u don't know how tought the competition is.

oh well it was a good weekend overall and i hope to be back next year!

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
oly said:
Sebring, Do you need those fox spacers from tha shock? I noticed they were still in the shock. I can ship em to ya if you need them back. Just let me know.
My push came with new spacers, so i guess i dont need em. they are kinda buggered anyway, so you can probably put em in the round file. I just remembered however, i left the 500lb spring on there. i switched to the 550 you gave me on the push anyhow, so i dont really need it, but if your friend needs the 550 that was on the shock when you lent it to me, ive got it. lemme know.
Borneo, what were you in? I didnt see any dher's on the way back that i remember....

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
A 26' Tioga Arrow RV with My SC Superlight, the wife's Kona Lava Dome and my kid's Candy Apple Red Kona Hula on the back. You passed us right along the lake in the fast lane. The big ass couch you use for a saddle gave you away... :) Coming back from a weekend in the Teanaway drainage.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
SebringMGB said:
My push came with new spacers, so i guess i dont need em. they are kinda buggered anyway, so you can probably put em in the round file. I just remembered however, i left the 500lb spring on there. i switched to the 550 you gave me on the push anyhow, so i dont really need it, but if your friend needs the 550 that was on the shock when you lent it to me, ive got it. lemme know.
Borneo, what were you in? I didnt see any dher's on the way back that i remember....
I think he is set on the spring. Ill just send him the shock body. Down the road i can get the 500lb spring back to ya. Glad i could help out for so long! Youll have to give us the push report once youve had some time on it.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Yeh, thanks again, that was definitly a MAJOR help. i woulda been on and off the bike (mostly off) alot without your loaner. ive ridden the push 1 time so far, and my initial impression is, very very nice, but i think itll take some gettin used to for sure.... this being my first ride on a platform shock. congrats on your finish in wenatchee btw.....

"The big ass couch you use for a saddle gave you away..." thats a lounge seat, thank you very much. :cool:

i took the 97 alt originally, and had to turn around due to a burning propane truck just outside leavenworth. so i was in "frusterated and way too hot go fast mode"

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Didnt get any pics of you. I do have some of the "Speedy Beavers" though. Last year racing sport i was able to get pics of the pro-expert classes... not this year now that im in expert.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Didnt get any pics of you. I do have some of the "Speedy Beavers" though. Last year racing sport i was able to get pics of the pro-expert classes... not this year now that im in expert.
Dude, post the pictures already!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
The second picture of me looks like I am shirtless with just my moto gear on!!!! I had to take off my jersey...It was hot! I did have a tanktop on underneath I promise! :eek:
Good pics Oly!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
Joy, whats the word on your fork?
They should be sending me the bottom any day. I had it shipped out 3/day. Unfortunetly they are not going to warranty it :mumble: ....Ethan was the one who called and arranged all of it so I'm not sure what they said about it....I am just happy that I will have it for the national...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
No prob.....ill post the pic in a few....

And to clarify to those about imageshack..... Its just a place to post pics... its not a galley site like the others. You post a pic and it returns a page with the links you need to hotlink or share the photos..... im not sure how long they keep the files. some day they will probably turn into red x's......

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Five said:
You took that? Thanks - I actually look like I know what I'm doing.
Yep! :cool: Nice rooster tail!

The pictures also makes it look like I know what I'm doing behind the lense of Oly's camera ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
freeridekid said:
anybody know what happened to the kid who fell above the road gap that had to be handed down the mountain?
I only heard about the lady (Sandy?) that gashed her leg or something....

there was a kid down too? :( Hope he is alright.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tully said:
Anyone got any photos of the road gap?
Haven't seen any new ones....it was relatively small. in teh past it used to go out farther and had a distinct corner on the edge....now it is rounded from years of use.

MTBZone.com had some from 1-2 years ago I think.