Quantcast

>>>Wet Wednesderp gmt<<<

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hella windy and wet last night. 50mph winds 2" of rain in town and 8" up in the hills. I wouldn't want to be near the burn areas, lots of debris flows. Supposed to get heavy rain every 12 hours or so until Friday night.....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

All shoveled out now. 3" or so on the ground and more is coming down.

Gotta drive around the state today. Picking up a laptop from one facility, and then conducting a training session at the other. Not terribly demanding, but it'll absorb most of my day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Present. Trail bike put back together finally. Installed edc lite while I was at it.

Cold weather in the forecast this weekend, trails should be good and frozen for riding. Potential snow storm Sunday? Yes plz.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In the office for the second time in a year. Gonna make this a regular thing it seems like, wearing pant and shirt.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anybody have any Thule 300 gutter mount feet they want to get rid of?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have weather here too.

I rolled out of bed and onto the bike trainer early this morning for a moderately tough 60 minute workout, piled on top of a tough workout last night, and now my legs are tired. It feels so much harder early in the morning compared to later in the day. Two coffees down, one to go.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cold. Layla just came back inside, looked at me, and went to lay by the fireplace, which isn't even on.

Lots to do today. Just found out my admin is applying for another job. It would be a big promotion, so I'd be stoked if she gets it, but man, it would make life difficult. Our backup admin is also likely transitioning to another position, leaving us without one. I have voluntarily taken on a project that will try to get a gauge on the aggregate amount of time our team spends on admin work, how much we send to them, and then how much that work we send to them actually costs us (ie saved time). Upper management's argument is that we don't have budget, while our is that if you take revenue generating individuals and make them burn 25% or their time on admin work, they aren't generating revenue. The cost of that revenue loss, given the cost of the revenue generating employees (gross salaries), should outweigh the cost of an admin making $45k/yr. Should be an interesting exercise. Hopefully it's fruitful.

Got the first part of a floor quote yesterday that assumes ability to fix the basement is a lot more reasonable than just replacing it. Guy was pretty straightforward about what he can do and our options vs what we should do from the first guy. Liking this route a lot more and it looks like the cost savings might be quite substantial.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cold. Layla just came back inside, looked at me, and went to lay by the fireplace, which isn't even on.
that was a hint

Lots to do today. Just found out my admin is applying for another job. It would be a big promotion, so I'd be stoked if she gets it, but man, it would make life difficult. Our backup admin is also likely transitioning to another position, leaving us without one. I have voluntarily taken on a project that will try to get a gauge on the aggregate amount of time our team spends on admin work, how much we send to them, and then how much that work we send to them actually costs us (ie saved time). Upper management's argument is that we don't have budget, while our is that if you take revenue generating individuals and make them burn 25% or their time on admin work, they aren't generating revenue. The cost of that revenue loss, given the cost of the revenue generating employees (gross salaries), should outweigh the cost of an admin making $45k/yr. Should be an interesting exercise. Hopefully it's fruitful.
we've been going through something similar with our management, we're trying to get more contractor support because we (the engineers) are spending 25% of our time (conservatively) just doing change control.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Working at home today. Took a phone call and as soon as I picked up, the orange cat started freaking the fuck out. Dammit.

Skipping riding with the group tonight. Going to go clear out an old trail and revive a fun steep section.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thought yesterday was bad. Turned on computer to 40+ emails with response actions required in addition to normal stuff today. Today will be very long; doubt I'm eating dinner with the family tonight.

How many of you guys use OneNote for keeping track of stuff for work? I've traditionally used a notebook, but the to-do list, according follow-up and notes are getting unwieldy (yeah for more responsibility!). Just trying to figure out the best way to use something that integrates into my calendar for due dates and reminders, but also allows for individual/topic based notes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
How many of you guys use OneNote for keeping track of stuff for work? I've traditionally used a notebook, but the to-do list, according follow-up and notes are getting unwieldy (yeah for more responsibility!). Just trying to figure out the best way to use something that integrates into my calendar for due dates and reminders, but also allows for individual/topic based notes.
If you find something semi-functional, let me know!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i use it but don't use all the features. it helps me keep stuff organized for projects, weekly meetings, etc. i can even drop files into it. it helps facilitating getting stuff copied into emails.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thought yesterday was bad. Turned on computer to 40+ emails with response actions required in addition to normal stuff today. Today will be very long; doubt I'm eating dinner with the family tonight.

I go with the philosophy that if I can't remember it, then it probably wasn't that important and the person will follow up and ask for it again. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I go with the philosophy that if I can't remember it, then it probably wasn't that important and the person will follow up and ask for it again. :D
I forget a lot (see TBI), so I need to have stuff written down. That used to be my mentality.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I forget a lot (see TBI), so I need to have stuff written down. That used to be my mentality.
My memory isn't as good as I age.

We tend to use OneNote as a shared knowledgebase for one of my support teams. I've never tried using it solo, but I know some people who really like it for that.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

Assuming you're in a M$ environ, try out To Do. Integrates with Calendar and Outlook, is mostly a straight-forward To Do list, but you can group tasks into folders, they can be recurring, you can set reminders, blah blah blah. I used to use Wunderlist for personal stuff a bunch, which was bought by M$ and turned into To Do so it's pretty decent even for a M$ product likely because the original app was built by non-M$ people. I use To Do for personal stuff, but it's more long-term lists like "things I'd like to do to the truck eventually" sort of things. I still use pen & paper for daily tasks lists, but I don't have the complexity in my jorrrrb that you do.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Second day of vacation, and we get hit at home with about 5-6" of snow, with a bunch more on the way. Swept the drive clear (I don't have a snow shovel/blower), and now planning on painting the floor boards so I can finish with that project. Wanted to leave for Pacific Grove today, however, it looks like Hwy 88 isn't clear until just before Jackson. That would be a slow drive.....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Mid week, yay. Got .12 of snow yesterday and the news had a field day with the snowpocalypse, it was awesome.

Our local ghetto theater does drive up popcorn to raise funds while closed, so we are having movie night tonight. The money we save working from home has been put directly into our local businesses trying to help folks stay afloat.

Some businesses were destined to fail regardless, but the joints we love and appreciate we support.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
kids seem to be settling into the rythm of schooling in the same room as me while I work. I think the trick is to pay attention to what time it is, and get them moving between periods, and make sure they get their recess.

We got a fresh coating of snow last night, and it's bright and sunny now. I think I will go skate skiing by the river at lunch.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

We use Azure Dev Ops. We are supposed to document all of our tasks with hour estimates for visibility to leadership. All of my tasks are "Effort placeholders" and I daily decrement 8 hours each day. Awesome system.

My boss only cares that his burn down chart looks good, and that is what we give him.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We use Azure Dev Ops. We are supposed to document all of our tasks with hour estimates for visibility to leadership. All of my tasks are "Effort placeholders" and I daily decrement 8 hours each day. Awesome system.

My boss only cares that his burn down chart looks good, and that is what we give him.
when it comes to metrics tracking, this is not the first time i've heard of / been asked by a manager to cook the books so to speak

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
when it comes to metrics tracking, this is not the first time i've heard of / been asked by a manager to cook the books so to speak

Well as far as my team is concerned, with one exception, he trusts us and we have consistently delivered on time with high quality and he see us spending our time documenting progress as a waste. That is not the case for everyone. We can show progress with the actual product, and not a paper trail. So we have earned the privilege to cook the books.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Sounds about like our "timekeeping" nonsense. :disgust:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

:stupid:

I have a single ongoing task I add 36 hours to every Friday. The rest is "meetings and overhead".

<edit> I had to set a reminder. Every Friday night there is a macro that pulls all the time from Azure and posts it to Liquid Planner.

Last edited: