Quantcast

what did you eat this weekend?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
oh man. we had a '96 Gran Reserva Monticello a while back, our first real "splurge" (read: +$25) on wine. f'n a, it was a good bottle of vino. :thumb: I love Riojas. w
I was *very* pleasantly surprised by this Monticello. I think it was around $12 and was light enough to go with the pork. Sort of a "Pinot-killer" if you will. :D

I might go back and get a case. :think:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Last night...Back 2 Skewl dinner for La----> TAPAS!
which was quite a spread:
roasted prawn.
fried smelt. <-my fav.
lambs nest.
housemade chorizo.
somekinduv' pizza. (aka i cant remember ;) )
bacon wrapped figs poached in syrah. (the bomb.)
sage lavosh bread.
beverages: me-Queen of Hearts Pinot Noir. la-a rioja Rose'.
desert: Moroccan cinnamon chocolate tart & Madeira.

:thumb:x2

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TN said:
Last night...Back 2 Skewl dinner for La----> TAPAS!
which was quite a spread:
roasted prawn.
fried smelt. <-my fav.
lambs nest.
housemade chorizo.
somekinduv' pizza. (aka i cant remember ;) )
bacon wrapped figs poached in syrah. (the bomb.)
sage lavosh bread.
beverages: me-Queen of Hearts Pinot Noir. la-a rioja Rose'.
desert: Moroccan cinnamon chocolate tart & Madeira.

:thumb:x2
Nice layout!

Fried smelt kicks ass. Brings back childhood memories of smelt fries. :D

How did you make the chorizo?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Nice layout!

Fried smelt kicks ass. Brings back childhood memories of smelt fries. :D

How did you make the chorizo?
this was at the Tapas joint down the street. their chorizo was OK. it could have been a lot more spicy...like chorizo is supposed to be.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damn, i didn't do much this weekend...friday we got pizza, sat i was riding all day, sunday we went out for some semi-greasy chinese buffet which was fair (their singapore rice stick was surprisingly pretty good).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did up some homemade pesto w/ grilled chicken. also made a salad w/ some homemade sesame/soy dressing, and grilled asparagus.

i'd go for some fish for tonight, but it's not gonna be the freshest...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I was at a friend's mountain retreat in Healdsburg (wine country) this weekend, we had grilled chickens and shrimps with a cilantro/mint pesto thing I made (at the last minute), beet salad with ginger and mint, grilled corn with lime/chili butter, simple green salad, bruschetta with a neighbor's ridiculously good heirloom tomatoes, cheeses, breads, lemon tart, and late-night chocolates. Oh and copious amounts of good wine, we started with Marlborough sauv blanc, moved to a number of Cali and Oregon pinot noirs, then a couple petite sirahs, including a Sean Thackrey Sirius p.s. I brought that was crazy good, inky dark in your face and leathery...it was really too much for the food but I couldn't resist...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did a potluck thing for sat dinner (we made the salad, along w/ homemade asian dressing (ginger, thai garlic paste, sesame oil, soy, rice wine vinegar, veg oil). last night grilled up a monster ribeye for the family, stirfried bok choy and broccoli, and uncorked a '96 Kenwood artist series.

also got some ribs marinating overnight, ready for this evening. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Saturday we went out for what turned out to be a *fantastic* 4-course, 3-1/2 hour Italian extravaganza. We were the only party on the patio :confused: and the wait staff was excellent. The four of us shared alot of the things we ordered. We also shared two bottles of:

2003 - Dolcetto D’Alba "Vigna La Volta", Cabutto

Antipasti:
Fried risotto with a wild mushroom/wine sauce
Calamari
Steamed mussels
Salad with cherry tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, and prusciutto in a light basil pesto

Primi:
Salmon "ravioli" in a tomato cream sauce
Penne alla vodka
Papardelle with white duck ragout

Secondo:
NY strip on a bed of spinach greens & mashers with a balsamic sauce
Stuffed chicken breast (mozz, prusciutto, spinach) with marsala sauce
1/2 hen with a creamy tarragon sauce
Veal scallopine with some sort of port wine reduction

Waiter treated us at this point to a complimentary round of lemoncello that apparently is made in house. :drool:

Dolci:
Tiramisu
Choc mousse
Lemon sorbet

After dessert I had a double espresso.

What a great meal it was.

Then the bill arrived. :dead: :D

Edit: Restaurant was Campo de Fiori in Denver.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Really crappy steak and some hot dogs all washed down with numerous PBRs and a swig of Virginia Gentleman. It was a great meal cause we were sitting on top of a mountain watching the sun go down after a full day of DH runs. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Saturday post-ride I ate a decent pastrami and swiss with some pitchers of Mt. Tam pale ale at the Marin Brewing Company. Then I went home and made baked rigatoni with hot italian sausage and a creamy tomato/basil sauce.

Last night I grilled lamb rib chops and some mixed veg - portabellas, eggplant, zucchini, and peppers. The lamb marinated for a couple hours in olive oil, honey, mustard, garlic, mint, and rosemary. :thumb:

Then I grilled peaches and served 'em with a drizzle of vanilla and a scoop of ice cream. :drool: I don't make desserts to often but that one's a keeper.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid: Wow.

Sometimes I wish I had a significant allowance for food and wine.......

Yeah living in San Francisco is especially hard. It's so easy to drop way too much $$$ and you don't always get what you pay for. Even a bad meal can be entertaining, it's all about the experience, but the experiences here can be pricey lesssons learned.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got the rabbit, foie gras and truffle terrine, and the roasted squab w/ foie gras. it was pretty damn great. the bottle of '99 guigal hermitage was tasty too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
Yeah living in San Francisco is especially hard. It's so easy to drop way too much $$$ and you don't always get what you pay for. Even a bad meal can be entertaining, it's all about the experience, but the experiences here can be pricey lesssons learned.
Yeah - it's a real pisser to drop a wad of cash and come away with a "well that was just OK" experience. A couple of those and you start to get gunshy of the spendy dinners. Luckily this one turned out to meet/exceed expectations, despite the :dead: bill.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
grilled up a bunch of food for our party...had 7 club steaks (sirloin strips...:drool: ) and two different boneless chicken marinades...one made w/ thyme, parsley, raw garlic, lemon zest and juice, honey, S&P and oil. the other i made w/ thyme, roasted jalapenos, roasted garlic, S&P, and peanut oil.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
had my wife's parents over before they left for FLA for the season...did the pan-roasted halibut w/ arugula/thyme/parsley/lemon garnish, some steamed broccoli, and some potatoes w/ shallots, butter and reduced balsamic. served w/ an oregon pinot (argyle).

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
On Friday I made chicken cordon bleu with spiced ham and fresh american cheese, breaded up nicely and cooked with some white wine. Also made french onion soup from scratch and some nicely steamed broccoli crowns.

Turned out very nice.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
had my wife's parents over before they left for FLA for the season...did the pan-roasted halibut w/ arugula/thyme/parsley/lemon garnish, some steamed broccoli, and some potatoes w/ shallots, butter and reduced balsamic. served w/ an oregon pinot (argyle).
Was it the Argyle pinot sealed with the screw cap?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Friday my wife and I shared a couple entrees when we went out - I had hanger steak with a Roquefort sauce - she had coq au vin. Both were quite tasty with a '99 Bordeaux.

Last night it was Oktoberfest at our house. Brats, kraut (Bavarian style), German potato salad, corn, and homemade ice cream with peaches. :drool:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Sat we had a bbq/family reunion.

Tri-tip, both injected w/ a bbq sauce concoction marinade and some w/ just salt/pepper.
Chicken in a sesame/teriyaki glaze.
Salmon w/ a lime/cumin marinade.
Portabello shrooms w/ KC Masterpiece.

All above on mesquite.

Pasta salad
Green salad
Hazelnut cake
Key Lime pie
Much beer.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hit up the SF farmer's market on Saturday. Ate fish tacos for breakfast, picked up lots of good stuff. Sat night was roasted chicken with potatoes, garlic and rosemary, and a salad with peaches, prosciutto, candied pecans, and balsamic. Drank a ridge zinfandel - yum. Sunday morning my girl made blackberry pancakes with ricotta and lemon zest (with bacon, but of course!). Half Moon Bay Brewery for a few beers after a ride, then beef pot pie and another good salad last night. Tonight: Pasta with chanterelles and pancetta!! Life is good...