what did you eat this weekend?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
You mean pasta with mushrooms and bacon? :think: :drool:

Mind handing out the recipe?
I don't really have a recipe but here's what I do: In a pan big enough to hold the finished pasta, fry off some pancetta (thick, cut into small dice), drain on paper, and pour off most of the fat, leaving the crusty bits and a film of fat in the pan. Add a dab of butter or olive oil, cook down some diced onion, remove to a bowl. Another dab of butter (or oil), then in the same pan saute about 3/4 pound of fresh wild mushrooms, with salt to taste. When the 'shrooms are almost done, toss in some chopped garlic, then remove to a bowl. Deglaze the pan over high heat with about a cup, maybe a cup and a half of chicken or mushroom stock and a splash of wine, white or red, whatever you're drinking, reduce by about half or thereabouts (I'm really not good with measurements for this stuff, sorry). Turn off the heat and toss in about 3/4 pound of cooked pasta - I like to use orichette or maybe farfalle for this one. Some of the reduction will soak into the pasta. Toss in the pancetta, onions, and mushrooms, along with a handful of chopped herbs - basil, thyme, whatever you've got - and some fresh grated parm, with S&P to taste. There should be enough sauce to coat everything but it won't be very soupy. Serve with a little more grated parm, fresh herbs, and a few drops of truffle oil if you like.

I love fresh mushrooms but it's easy to overpower them with the pancetta, cheese, etc. I prefer pancetta for this because it it not smoked. I know this will be hard for a bacon snob (!), but the pork is really just for a little depth and salt - it should not overpower the shrooms, so go easy, or skip it altogether. You can use some of the pasta water if you don't have stock, or you can make a quick shroom stock by soaking dried mushrooms and using that liquid. If your mushrooms aren't that great, go for the decadent version and toss in some 1/2 and 1/2 or cream at the end, and more cheese.

Truly one of those dishes that works well with white or red, but I like a lighter, lush red like a pinot noir. I find that a Pinot helps brings out the earthiness of the shrooms.

OK hungry now? I am.

Oh and by the way if you put canadian bacon in this you are going on my ignore list. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
<snip> go for the decadent version and toss in some 1/2 and 1/2 or cream at the end, and more cheese.
Always. :D Even if the mushrooms are good, I'd probably add some heavy whipping cream just to make things really interesting.

Truly one of those dishes that works well with white or red, but I like a lighter, lush red like a pinot noir. I find that a Pinot helps brings out the earthiness of the shrooms.
I'd bet that a nice Barbera d'Alba would be good, too.

OK hungry now? I am.
Just got finished with pesto, salad, and caprese. I'll be hungry again tomorrow, though. ;)

Oh and by the way if you put canadian bacon in this you are going on my ignore list. :)
I'll one-up that and put cheap ham steak in it. :eek:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Always. :D Even if the mushrooms are good, I'd probably add some heavy whipping cream just to make things really interesting.
Yeah really I love that but it mutes/covers the woodsy flavors imo...btw, it was friggin great...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We drank a Cairanne Cotes du Rhone Villages that was really good with that pasta. A little softer than the typical up-front reds I like, but it really enhanced the earthiness and subtlety of the chanterelles.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sat night was a total washout (had a late lunch [pulled pork sandwich, yeah]) and ended up cooking a grilled cheese at about 9PM.

sunday we roasted two chickens (made a butter/chopped herb mix and spread it under the skin, and on top), and some pots/carrots/onions.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I had a hot roast beef sandwich on Saturday with bacon, mushrooms, onions, and swiss cheese.

Sunday my wife made a spicy Italian-sausage soup with beans, little pasta thingies, and assorted vegetables. Had a bottle of Priorat from Spain. The spiciness of the soup kind of overwhelmed the wine, or it may have been the fact that I was a little bit stuffed up. :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Kept it simple this weekend, chinese delivery on Friday night, went out for indian food in between shows at the bike film fest, then last night went out to an old-school italian place in North Beach and ate...drumroll...linguini in white clam sauce. Yum!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sat was the big meal day...took a recipe from cooks illustrated and it turned out great. basically it was a stuffed pork chop, and the stuffing consisted of:

sauteed red onions
port
sugar
S&P
dried sour cherries
dried dates
thyme
white vinegar
fresh orange juice

the chops (rib chop; makes it much easier to stuff the chop w/o overflow) were brined in a mix of brown sugar and salt while i made the red onion jam. to stuff them, take a very sharp paring knife, and make an incision from the chop to the bone. rotate the knife to hollow out the pocket, taking care not to puncture the outside of the chop. the insertion hole should be ~ 1".

preheat an oven and baking sheet to 425

take the chops, rinse and pat dry. stuff the chops and seal the insertion w/ a section of some leftover orange peel (quite clever). on med-high, heat oil in a pan, and brown the chops 2-3 min on each side.

put 'em in the oven on the pre-heated pan, and cook for 15-20 min, turning once halfway through. cook until meat thermo reads 135F in the center, and let rest for 10 min under foil.

i made a quick sauce for my spuds, deglazing the skillet w/ water and red wine.

delicious!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that sounds like a lot of effort, narlus. :thumb:

my parents were in town so i steered us all to a nice japanese restaurant here in seattle, Nishino. good fish they have in spades... 32nd and madison for you locals.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
narlus said:
sat was the big meal day...took a recipe from cooks illustrated and it turned out great. basically it was a stuffed pork chop, and the stuffing consisted of:

sauteed red onions
port
sugar
S&P
dried sour cherries
dried dates
thyme
white vinegar
fresh orange juice

the chops (rib chop; makes it much easier to stuff the chop w/o overflow) were brined in a mix of brown sugar and salt while i made the red onion jam. to stuff them, take a very sharp paring knife, and make an incision from the chop to the bone. rotate the knife to hollow out the pocket, taking care not to puncture the outside of the chop. the insertion hole should be ~ 1".

preheat an oven and baking sheet to 425

take the chops, rinse and pat dry. stuff the chops and seal the insertion w/ a section of some leftover orange peel (quite clever). on med-high, heat oil in a pan, and brown the chops 2-3 min on each side.

put 'em in the oven on the pre-heated pan, and cook for 15-20 min, turning once halfway through. cook until meat thermo reads 135F in the center, and let rest for 10 min under foil.

i made a quick sauce for my spuds, deglazing the skillet w/ water and red wine.

delicious!
Mmmm...that does sound good. I just may have to pick up some chops this week and give it a try.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
make sure you get 'em at least an inch thick, and specifically rib chops. off the top of my head, to make the jam you:

sautee the onions w/ oil and ~ 1 tsp of sugar for ~20 min or so, until they color.

microwave 1/3 cup of dried dates, 1/3 cup of dried cherries, and 3/4 cup of port, covered, for one minute

add the port/fruit mix to the onions as well as 2 tbsp of white vinegar and 2 tsp of fresh chopped thyme. also add 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice. stir, reduce, get to jam-like consistency.

meanwhile, toast 1/4 cup of chopped pecans (i may not have listed this previously, but it's essential). add in the pecans and 1 more tbsp of white vinegar when the jam is thick.

reserve in a separate bowl and cool.

to make the brining mix, add 3/4 packed cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of kosher salt to 6 cups of water. slice chops to make the pocket, and submerge into the brine.

i think that's it. the recipe also called for sprinking blue cheese crumbs on the chops just prior to serving, but i forgot to get some.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we had a bottle of syrah (washington, can't recall the vintner) which was meh.

how'd you do up the spud? we mashed ours. i haven't had a baked potato at home in years. they usually take too long. in the same issue of cooks illustrated they have a good recipe for skillet-roasted potatoes. might have to try that one soon.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
we had a bottle of syrah (washington, can't recall the vintner) which was meh.

how'd you do up the spud? we mashed ours. i haven't had a baked potato at home in years. they usually take too long. in the same issue of cooks illustrated they have a good recipe for skillet-roasted potatoes. might have to try that one soon.
Hm.. we always make baked potatoes in the microwave. Took about 15 minutes to make 5 of them. Yukon gold - I'm not a big fan of russets.

I also like oven roasted potatoes with balsamic and rosemary. Those kick ass too. :drool:

The wine we had was a Clos du <something> - mostly Malbec with some Merlot as well. It was nice and beefy with the steak. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hmm, guess you guys are starting to feel fall in your bones...out here it was sunny and warm this weekend. Did a little Vietnamese style yesterday. Made a big rice noodle salad with carrot, green onion, cucumber, sprouts, cilantro, mint, and chopped peanuts, tossed in a vietnamese dressing that is similar to the nuoc cham dipping sauce - basically fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic and chilis. (Yes fish sauce you haters!) Then I grilled skewers of prawns and scallops that had marinated for a bit in a little fish sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and garlic - my own creation that carmelized really well on the grill. Served the seafood on top of the noodle salad, garnished with more herbs, peanuts, hoi sin, sriracha chili sauce, squeezed more lime juice over the top and dug in. Big pile of refreshing slurpy seafood goodness, kinda like the room temp bun/vermicelli dishes you can get in many Vietnamese places. Yum!

To drink: Margaritas while cooking (ahhh, patron), then beer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OG, that sounds great. i bought some rice noodles the last time i was in Trader Joe's but haven't cooked 'em yet. give me the proportions you use for the dressing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
OG, that sounds great. i bought some rice noodles the last time i was in Trader Joe's but haven't cooked 'em yet. give me the proportions you use for the dressing.
It changes based on the intensity of the fish sauce, and like anything else you need to adjust to taste. I've been using the "3 crabs" brand lately and it's pretty pungent, so you don't need as much as say the Thai Kitchen brand. This time it was about 2:1 lime juice:fish sauce, but I was also going for more of a refreshing lime thing. About a cup of fresh lime juice (8 or 9 limes, save some for the margaritas!), 1/2 cup of fish sauce, three tablespoons or so of sugar, and some chili and garlic. Made enough to dress the salad and have plenty left to splash on top. Omit the noodles and this becomes a really good slaw type thing to serve at a grill fest, all crunchy veg...

PS I love baked potato, so easy especially during the week. No mess either, less to clean up. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
friday i took off, so i cooked up a good meal. grilled lamb loin chops w/ porcini risotto. damn was that good.

sat we went to a friend's cocktail party.

sunday i cooked pot roast w/ glazed carrots and mashed taters. the store didn't have the cut of meat i wanted (top round/chuck blade) and the meat was rather dry. definitely needed a fattier cut of meat.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did some good eats this weekend.

sat night did the stuffed pork chop recipe again, but w/ a different stuffing. this time used fontina/ricotta/spinach/pinenuts.

yesterday cooked osso buco w/ porcini risotto. damn tasty.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
opened a bottle of Ridge zin on sat night. didn't have anything w/ the osso buco, aside from the remnants of a pub draught guinness i opened during the meal prep. am gonna cut back for a bit.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
opened a bottle of Ridge zin on sat night.
One of my all-time favorite wineries.:thumb:

I had a crappy burger on Fri night, huge stomach-bomg breakfast on Saturday, Chinese food and pizza on Saturday night (yes, at once), bagels sunday morning, and lasagna last night. It was not a weekend of haute cuisine, but in between these fine meals I did lots of riding and my part to take up Narlus' alcohol slack. :D

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Considering we didn't have power for a week because of Wilma, all meals were cooked on the balcony with a camp stove. Must say though, when you're forced to clean out your fridge because of lack of electricity, you are forced to come up with interesting things. My favorite: peanut butter and hot sauce sandwhich.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
roasted up some halibut and made a "relish" of toasted walnuts, chopped green olives, chopped capers, lemon zest, lemon juice and oil. sides were roasted acorn squash and steamed asparagus.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I made meatballs yesterday. I use ground beef and ground turkey. Bake the meatballs for 15 minutes, then crock them for three hours. Mmmm....meatball goodness......

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i think a more appropriate question would be what didn't i eat this weekend. it started tuesday when my parents took us out for out birthday dinner, spicey suculent shrimp in coconut milk,

wednesday tn's parents took us out for our birthdays, Nicoise salad,

thursday night was his brother's rehearsal dinner for the wedding, bbq ribs, chicken, slaw, beer.

friday was the wedding and reception. italian food galore. pasta, tomato salad, tortelini, beef tenderloin, and lots of other stuff i can't remember. champagne and wedding cake.

saturday night was BBQ at the new in laws house, hot dogs, burgers, chicken and loads of leftovers from the reception. too much red wine.

last night was a farewell dinner with a cousin who is headed back to iraq. fajitas.

i think i might explode. i am never eating again as long as i live.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yep Laura wins. And congrats, BTW.

On Saturday I rode all day and ended up at a celebration in the woods with a huge cauldron of chili, other grub, and free beer. Later that night I had fish and chips and more beer at an English pub. Sunday morning I had smoked salmon eggs benedict that substituted a thickened lobster bisque with chunks of lobster for the hollandaise, oh man it was gooooood. Last night I got lazy and ordered a pizza...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
OGRipper said:
Yep Laura wins. And congrats, BTW.

On Saturday I rode all day and ended up at a celebration in the woods with a huge cauldron of chili, other grub, and free beer. Later that night I had fish and chips and more beer at an English pub. Sunday morning I had smoked salmon eggs benedict that substituted a thickened lobster bisque with chunks of lobster for the hollandaise, oh man it was gooooood. Last night I got lazy and ordered a pizza...

oh man....your brunch sounds fantastic! all you need is a spicy Bloody Mary & nice cup of Sumatra. :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
TN said:
oh man....your brunch sounds fantastic! all you need is a spicy Bloody Mary & nice cup of Sumatra. :drool:
Doh!! Can't believe I forgot to mention the bloodies!! Can I get a hell yeah!?!?! :D They really helped set me up for the day...

And not sure if it was Sumatra but you bet there was plenty of good strong coffee too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Not this weekend, but last night we had 4-cheese ravioli with a simple bacon-onion-tomato-cream sauce spooned over. Mixed green salad, fresh bruschetta on rosemary bread, fresh sliced strawberries, and a blueberry crisp with fresh whipped cream for dessert. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did the spinach/pignoli/cheese-stuffed pork chops again on sat...that's becoming a regular to the lineup.

last night did a great short rib recipe w/ gravy made from the braising liquid. :drool: mashed taters and a '96 artist series Kenwood cab made it a meal.