Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
One of my riding buddies loves E13 stuff for some random reason (I'm guessing cause it's cheap, a couple pieces came on his YT, and he likes matchy-matchy?). He's got E13 carbon wheels, carbon handlebars, stem, and some other shit I'm sure. He's also an X-ray tech who occasionally sends us photos of X-rays taken from people making poor life choices. Apparently he doesn't see the irony in that combination.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd be encouraging him to do as much overtime as possible so he can afford to replace those shitty parts but moar importantly to keep him off that bike until he can.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
your favourite bar has NO flex?
Then why am I hording 25.4mm clamp ProTapers!
I don't know, because we are different people? I used my old Azonics as press tools.
I've tried all the sizes from 7/8" to 35mm with various sweeps from 4 to 12deg backsweep and nothing stops the hand numbness, so I went for the one that feels best in the rough bits, for me that is a bar that doesn't feel like it flexes.
Stupidly I can't run my favorite bar because I had the stack height made a lil high on my current frame and the bar is only made in 35mm rise, white people problems.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
One of my riding buddies loves E13 stuff for some random reason (I'm guessing cause it's cheap, a couple pieces came on his YT, and he likes matchy-matchy?). He's got E13 carbon wheels, carbon handlebars, stem, and some other shit I'm sure. He's also an X-ray tech who occasionally sends us photos of X-rays taken from people making poor life choices. Apparently he doesn't see the irony in that combination.
I thought you were going to say that he X-rays his e13 parts to check they are safe to use.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Just a note on some E13 parts that I use and like :

-Base 35 stem : I have three on my bikes. I wanted a forged, wide clamp, reasonably priced stem in black and they fit the bill. After running the 1st one for 2 seasons I grabbed a few more when they were on sale cheap.
-Base 35 bar : It was 36$cdn on sale for a 400g straight gauge 6061 bar in 35mm rise and the angles I like. Why not? Nothing special to report after a year. In fact it feels better than the higher-end 7075 Deity 35mm aluminium bar that it replaced.
-Base composite pedals : I have tried many of the most popular composite pedals, and theirs are tied for my favorite with the Deity Deftrap. Maybe even better than the Deity.
-TRS+ A/T Trail tires (MOPO compound) : hard to find 1050g trail casing tires with a great compound. The rear weeps a bit of sealant but the sidewalls are quite used up. I tried them because they were inexpensive compared to most other brands (and I like trying new stuff), but they are my favorite tires ever. I have Kryptotals on my other bike that I have yet to try though.

Form what I've read online, I'd stay away from their cassettes and carbon parts though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have 3 of their cassettes now. They work fine. Make sure your derailleur has the range (wouldnt work right on my canfield until I got a longer cage derailleur), but otherwise, yeah they are a little goofy to get around patents…but they work. Many races and miles. Havent had one wear out actually and its been at least 3 years for the first.

I have 3 of their cassettes now. They work fine. Make sure your derailleur has the range (wouldnt work right on my canfield until I got a longer cage derailleur), but otherwise, yeah they are a little goofy to get around patents…but they work. Many races and miles. Havent had one wear out actually and its been at least 3 years for the first.
Also been using E13 cassettes since, say, 2016. They work.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a shop cut a steerer tube short on me once by a bike shop, had a spacer machined with a clearance hole for the top bolt, worked fine. Won't let shops cut steerer tubes any more.
Shop did that to me too, after I showed them and taped where I wanted it cut.

They were also doing something else, I forget what, but they did it for free as some sort of compensation.

I'm a friggin idiot and should have asked them to buy new uppers for it; it was a Fox 36 factory and they cut it short enough that I could only run one spacer.

Never went back to that shop. The owner is "friends" with some in our group and they couldn't give the run around, don't order stuff etc etc. Not sure why they keep entertaining them...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
For most bikes 7.5" plus is a good length to cut steer...it's sellable and transferable...

Anything under that someone has to verify
I can't buy anything used, 6" long HT FTW!

I the past I had to buy a frame with a sub 4" HT coz I cut a brand new fork too short, oops.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I did prevent this from going back out..lmao 3mm below the top pinch bolt...did his suspension and saw this....he's been riding it this way and did it himself, thought it was ok..
told him I'm removing stack height he can get a riser bar lol..or do a policy on him too..lolView attachment 198766
FWIW: Deity makes the Copperhead stem with a stack height of 30 mm. There are others out there as well if you have a too short steerer tube. Syntace makes the Flatforce stem that has 27 mm stack height and is thought to reduce the handlebar heights on 29" XC bikes. Some folks run it upside down when needing to compensate for a too short steerer tube.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Anyone have issues with XT rear derailer "sagging" the chain? If you look at it from the side, it's like it's not keeping chain tension. Like the return spring on it is jacked. This is both clutch on and off mode. You can manually pop it back into having tension, but it never keeps. I've never seen this before. And I can tell in the shifting. This is on a newish XT like maybe 2021 model.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Not sure about it doing that with clutch off, but otherwise sounds similar to what happens when the clutch needs greasing.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It's a fiddly job to replace, but fairly straight forward, and it is good that the clutch is serviceable unlike the SRAM ones which once roached are "go buy a whole new derailer" territory.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thanks guys. I may just crack it open and see what I can do on my own. But I'm def no stranger to activating warranty from the big S.

I broke off the lower derailer pully/jockey wheel on a Saint. A looooong time ago. Didn't even know it. Still shifted and everything (not that you shift that much on a DH bike). Then, one day I was in the garage, I was admiring my IH Sunday, and noticed something is off. Hmm....Shimano replaced it, no questions.

I'll have to look into it. But their warranty was/is def tiered based. So if you get XTR, Saint, they were longer warranty periods. Not sure these days.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
4th one of guys I know ...finally something scarier than carbon cranks ..
I quit saying I told you so after #2 and started before they were riding them.
Glad I have CARBON cranks...lolView attachment 199161
Is all that rubbed off paint made to look like a nice patina, or does he regularly cartwheel that thing through the grape vines (before ride wrapping it)?

:busted:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I still don't understand why if you're spending $600 on cranks for the bling factor (why else get these), why not just get ewings or XTR cranks or something. Something known to not explode while just riding around.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Is all that rubbed off paint made to look like a nice patina, or does he regularly cartwheel that thing through the grape vines (before ride wrapping it)?

:busted:
It was a limited edition run of Capras IIRC, with "distressed" paint.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Say what you will about Race Face...at least they can make metal cranks. On second thought, that's all I trust them to make.