Quantcast

!! What is this fucking snow shit Friday GMT !!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm trying to rent out my flat. Jesus people are dumb. They will be late 2h, not be able to find the entrance to a clearly labeled building, or think a flat without a separate kitchen has one. It nearly killed me people with an iq higher than a block of wood last time and I'm not feeling much more lucky this time.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Dusting of snow here and windy as hell. I was going to go sit on watch but doubt I could even hit the side of a barn with the gusts so I'll enjoy a second cup o' Joe and watch a cartoon with Alex on this cold morning. No school today so I scheduled a play date for Alex, work on my car at the dealership and plan on roasting a whole chicken for dinners.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
No snow here, but we did some sleet. High winds and cold temps today. Gonna be 21F when I get out of work today. I have my gear, but may opt for beer drinking instead of riding.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Happy Friday and thanks to the RM veterans. I mean military veterans, not "veterans" in the sense that you've been an RM member for a long time and are thus a "ridemonkey veteran"...although I suppose a certain thanks should go to you guys as well but we'll save that for another day. Ya feel me?

I ran 8 miles by headlamp this morning in some cold, windy bullshit. I should have worn thicker gloves...my hands were cold the entire time in my light gloves. Cold hands are the worst. But, I got the run done early because it's going to be colder and windier the rest of the day. According to my Strava feed, everybody is on treadmills this morning. Pussies.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Finally got some sunshine after a number of gray-sky days. Work has me extremely disappointed. My job relies on lots of other people who have only one job to do - to do that one job. They are not doing that one job. I has a sad. My boss has a mad. I might have to take a two-week lunchbreak today.

Regardless, I'm going to go out there and try to broadcast positive energy today. Y'all try and do the same thing....maybe we'll all receive good karma as a result.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin peeps!

Not much to report here. Kinda jonesing for a new kitchen knife, not that I need one, just that I want one. I like knives.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Kinda jonesing for a new kitchen knife, not that I need one, just that I want one. I like knives.
:stupid:

Last year I got a sharpening stone to tune up my knives. I took no time at all to ruin everything. Then I realized I hadn't had a beer while doing this, made corrections, and spent forever fixing what I f'd up. Now my knives cut soooo nice. If I did it again I'd buy a larger stone.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:stupid:

Last year I got a sharpening stone to tune up my knives. I took no time at all to ruin everything. Then I realized I hadn't had a beer while doing this, made corrections, and spent forever fixing what I f'd up. Now my knives cut soooo nice. If I did it again I'd buy a larger stone.
Did mine the other night and now I can easily cut paper thin slices of tomato. It's a pleasure using really sharp knives.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

FTS Friday is in full effect. Happy Veterans Day to all my Monkey's who served. I should get the day off, but I do get a free Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's. :rofl:

Wife went to see "The Bodyguard, the musical" last night and I stayed home and played GTA5. It was a win/win. Suck rain pretty much for the next 4 months, yay.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did mine the other night and now I can easily cut paper thin slices of tomato. It's a pleasure using really sharp knives.
I haven't gotten really nice kitchen knives yet, but I would like to. I'm not uber monocle about my knives, but having Gerber here and using Gerber in the Navy for deck work, it is my goto brand. My brother got into making knives for a while after he and Jesse James were talking about side projects.

I still have my original Gerber Gator first edition (doesn't get much use these days), and I scored some prototype boot knives from Gerber under the Winchester brand years ago that are great for the woods.

@AngryMetalsmith, hook a guy up with a Damascus steel chefs knife.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The honing geek in me has to ask - what sharpening stone? A natural one or a synthetic? What grit?
#Isavemydentisthonesformystraightrazors

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The honing geek in me has to ask - what sharpening stone? A natural one or a synthetic? What grit?
#Isavemydentisthonesformystraightrazors
what I have is a wetstone and two-sided: 3000 grit and 8000 grit. I 'think' it's natural stone.

I got an antique straight razor years ago as a gift but have never been able to get it sharp enough to use for shaving.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
what I have is a wetstone and two-sided: 3000 grit and 8000 grit. I 'think' it's natural stone.

I got an antique straight razor years ago as a gift but have never been able to get it sharp enough to use for shaving.
Must be a sandwich of two whetstones glued together, if natural. The only natural stone that has two distinct sides that I am aware of is a belgian coticule, and even there, the blue side is not used for honing.

upload_2017-11-10_10-39-35.png

upload_2017-11-10_10-41-14.png

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I haven't gotten really nice kitchen knives yet, but I would like to. I'm not uber monocle about my knives, but having Gerber here and using Gerber in the Navy for deck work, it is my goto brand. My brother got into making knives for a while after he and Jesse James were talking about side projects.

I still have my original Gerber Gator first edition (doesn't get much use these days), and I scored some prototype boot knives from Gerber under the Winchester brand years ago that are great for the woods.

@AngryMetalsmith, hook a guy up with a Damascus steel chefs knife.
I've found I really only need a few knives. A 10" chef's knife, a 3-4" paring, and a large slicer. Unless you break down a lot of fish, bone-in meats, or need to cleave through bones, a few quality ones top a barrage of craptastic ones.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dear knifemonkey.com someone link me a suitable place to buy a whetstone for my kitchen knives.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Must be a sandwich of two whetstones glued together, if natural. The only natural stone that has two distinct sides that I am aware of is a belgian coticule, and even there, the blue side is not used for honing.

View attachment 127021
View attachment 127022
What grit do you finish at? Right now my highest is 6000 which puts a decent polish on things, not sure if going any higher will net any benefits.

Regardless, I should probably pick up a leather strop to knock the burr off. I imagine that'd help.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I generally chop with a Santoku. My #1 knife. Then it's 10" chefs knife, one of those cheap ceramic paring knives (which are fucking incredibly sharp for about a year or two), meat slicing knives, and others.
Wusthof gran prix II.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've found I really only need a few knives. A 10" chef's knife, a 3-4" paring, and a large slicer. Unless you break down a lot of fish, bone-in meats, or need to cleave through bones, a few quality ones top a barrage of craptastic ones.
I'll have to take a pic of the knife my son bought me. It actually looks a lot like a cleaver as it has no point. But he showed me how to chop with it and holy hell is it nice. It is a cheap knife with a crap wood handle but a quality blade. He used the same knifes when he was a chef and because of how big/thick the blade is, you can sharpen them for quite a few years and still have 3" of blade to work with.