Quantcast

What's fermenting now?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Getting itchy to start something else. Maybe I'll have another crack at that RIPA and do a real mini mash this time.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
will be racking my lager soon. it has been in the beer fridge for 5 weeks now.
I am getting antsy.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It's ok I worked out what happened, the fermenter (vessel is convex) has a domed bottom with the outlet dead in the middle with a small riser which reduces the sediment getting sucked thru.
When I tipped the sweet wort into the fermenter it would have filled the riser and outlet pipe and when I added more water to bring it up to the final volume what was in there didn't mix in so when I drew some out it would have been partially the undilluted wort. :D

Todays reading was 1.026 after 36hrs. and the brew is bubbling away quite merrily. :thumb:
Just bottled it, made a heap of mistakes with this new fermenter.
Knocked the sediment reducer out of place failed to get an accurate OG reading (Final was 1.010), ripped open one of the bags with the dryhop pellets which filled and blocked the outlet at the bottom of the tank so I had to syphon the lot out plus bits of hop got into some of the bottles I'd be betting.

Ah well I know what to do next time I guess. :rolleyes:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
weekend of success:

• tripel has entered day 7 of very active fermentation
  • ANOTHER free carboy
  • ingredients for my white ale and double IPA have been ordered

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tasted the lager yesterday. This will be a higher ABV% then I normally like (7% maybe?). it didn't taste bad at all though, just strong. It's in the living room now for its D-rest.

No idea what I'll make next....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
This lager started at 1.068 and when I took a reading on Sunday it was reading 1.018 and it's still bubbling away.... Yikes.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Brewing up a blonde ale today. Showing a noob/friend how to brew.

8# 2-row
3# Vienna
.5# Crystal 30L

Cluster and Cascade at 60 and 30 minutes.

wyeast 1056.

I plan to be drinking this one in three weeks.....(or less)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Tasted the lager yesterday. This will be a higher ABV% then I normally like (7% maybe?). it didn't taste bad at all though, just strong. It's in the living room now for its D-rest.

No idea what I'll make next....
could you taste any diacytl in your sample?
my lager was full of buttered popcorn aroma & flavor. i hope things kicked back up enough to take care of it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I tasted mine at 55 degrees and 62 degrees. Both temps had no signs of butter/diacytl flavor. This beer is almost tasteless, compared to my ales. I can taste the high alcohol slighty, in a warming sensation. That flavor/feeling leaves quickly and there is very little aftertaste. I still have the primary sitting at 62 degrees. I'll sample it again today and probably cold crash/lager it soon. I don't care if it's not fully done fermenting since I'm kegging, I don't have to worry about bottle bombs....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my friend never showed or even called to say he couldnt' make it. cross one more chump off the friends list....

I don't get what's going on with my efficiency. I did an hour long mash and when I tested it with iodine, the sample did not turn black. That says the starches were converted fully. But my OG was 1.046. According to beercalculus, that is about 57% efficiency....

w.t.f. ?

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My mom & dad just cracked a full carboy. I could hear the disgust in my mom's voice. 5 gal. gone plus a 6.5 gal. glass carboy ruined. Breaking a carboy is one of my brew nightmares. >.<

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yep. glass sucks.

I have one glass carboy and I loath it. I might start fermenting in kegs. less beer but I brew often enough that 4 gallons should be fine...

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Or do what I did and hunt out a 60L stainless steel fermenter. :thumb:
that would require money, something I don't have much of.

I do have access to a 15.5 gallon keg that I could use as a fermentor though. I'll be picking it up this coming week.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
racked my lager today & got it in a keg & hooked up to the gas.
tastes like a lager. pretty good so far.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
went to NB today to get some beer making ingredients.
some 2-row, some vienna, some carapils, some crystal 60, 6 oz. of centennial hops & an american ale smackpack.

gonna be my attempt at a 2 hearted ale.

Last edited:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
the house smells like a brewery now & that makes me happy. mash went fine not sure of my efficiency yet. drinking my lager now....gonna wish I had more when it is gone i think.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
got 75% this time. OG looked good until i topped off too much. prolly gonna end up pushing 6%....that is plenty for me. wanted 7% though. also lost 2 oz. of hops. picked up 1 so i can at least replace the hops for dryhopping.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I just read this whole thread. I've been putting off home brewing because there hasn't been room to do it anywhere in our place (really, all the closets are full, and it isn't going to site in the living room). We just went under contract for a house so I'm finally going to have a place to do it. Can't wait.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've had beer sitting in my living room, bedroom, etc..
My girlfriend rules though....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Brewing up a blonde ale today. Showing a noob/friend how to brew.

8# 2-row
3# Vienna
.5# Crystal 30L

Cluster and Cascade at 60 and 30 minutes.

wyeast 1056.

I plan to be drinking this one in three weeks.....(or less)
^^ This was a test beer for a wedding that I plan on taking 10 gallons to. This beer came out awesome. I think it will be a perfect beer for the BMC crowd.

Thursday I made a FrankenBeer with leftover ingredients.
4 British Two-row Pale
4 White Wheat Malt
2 Vienna Malt
1 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 American Two-row Pale
8 ounces Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2 ounces Roasted Barley - 550L

I used yeast from the Blonde ale above that I washed. Smells good bubbling away...

so stoked on good beer!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yesterday i brewed up a double IPA. Can't wait. OG was 1.085 @ 75°F. Pitched the yeast at about 6pm yesterday and as of this morning it is VERY actively fermenting.

soooo many hops.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I actually still have two bottles that I found in the back of the closet but it's a year old and doesn't nearly have the hop flavor it used to. It was freakin' awesome, though, best beer I've brewed.

A whole pound of hops went into that baby.

I've actually never had the real Pliny the Elder, just saw the recipe and decided it was so outrageous I needed to try it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
gotcha.

are you brewing with extract or with partial/all grain? I'm still using extract, my next upgrade is gonna be changing over to all grain brewing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm doing extract with steeping of specialty grains. Whatever I do next will have a proper mini mash. If I can get that down, I'll consider doing a full all-grain BIAB setup. I'm unwilling to ad any equipment to my setup right now and I've been super happy with my extract beers so far, so I'm probably not converting to all-grain in the near future.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
AG is EASY. BIAB is EASY but I found draining/sparging the grains to be a pain. If you have a cooler you can do the BIAB (grains in paint strainer) in the cooler, then sparge the grains that way. Most people have the equipment needed all ready....

I'm designing a stout recipe right now..... :)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What is this BIAB thing?

I've been an extract/partial extract brewer for quite a while but I'm thinking about moving over to AG (this means "All Grain" I assume)

I do have a spare cooler....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

The issue I had was, I wanted to sparge/rinse the grains after soaking them. This required me to lift the sack of grains up and try to pour hot water over them. That was a pain...

By using a cooler, you can fill a five gallon paint strainer bag with grains, place that into your cooler and fill it with the correct amount of hot water. Then when you want to rinse your grains, simply open the drain spout on the kettle and drain into your kettle. Then pour your rinse/sparge water over the grains and rinse more sugar off of them.

The use of the cooler keeps the mash temp even for the hour long mash....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

The issue I had was, I wanted to sparge/rinse the grains after soaking them. This required me to lift the sack of grains up and try to pour hot water over them. That was a pain...

By using a cooler, you can fill a five gallon paint strainer bag with grains, place that into your cooler and fill it with the correct amount of hot water. Then when you want to rinse your grains, simply open the drain spout on the kettle and drain into your kettle. Then pour your rinse/sparge water over the grains and rinse more sugar off of them.

The use of the cooler keeps the mash temp even for the hour long mash....
so basically an inexpensive version of using a brew kettle with a false bottom? (and eliminates the need for a heating element)?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
yes. There are probably more people use a cooler for a mash tun then those using a kettle for a tun. Heat water in kettle, drain/pour into cooler. Stir in your grains and wait for an hour. Heat up your sparge water around 40 minutes into your hour wait, then sparge/rinse your grains and boil as normal.

you can waste some time digging through this thread, most of these are WAY WAY over the top but you can see some simple designs and make them work for your tiny kitchen/budget.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
gotcha. am I correct in figuring that using a kettle for a mash tun doesn't really become economical until you start hitting much larger batches, say 15-20 gallons and up?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
gotcha. am I correct in figuring that using a kettle for a mash tun doesn't really become economical until you start hitting much larger batches, say 15-20 gallons and up?
I dunno. I know people do 15-20 gallons using more then one cooler/tun. But I'm sure they wish they didn't have to... :)

I also know that people do five gallon batches using kettles/false bottoms. The best part about making beer is there ARE NO RULES (besides keeping stuff clean and pitching yeast at the correct temps).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I dunno. I know people do 15-20 gallons using more then one cooler/tun. But I'm sure they wish they didn't have to... :)

I also know that people do five gallon batches using kettles/false bottoms. The best part about making beer is there ARE NO RULES (besides keeping stuff clean and pitching yeast at the correct temps).
the first rule about beer making is there are no rules about beer making.

wait what?

I only ask because I do plan on scaling up substantially once I own a house. I'm actually being highly encouraged to do so by the gf/future wife. She also has suggested I make a bar and proper tap setup.