Quantcast

What's made in the US these days?

sunshynjunky

Chimp
Aug 13, 2008
Turner Turner Turner.
I am on my third one in ten years. upgraded first one, lost the second to theft. I have watched so many other companies shaft people by cutting corners, outsourcing to save pennies, or marketing in value.
I recently received my latest version of the RFX. it is even better than the one that was stolen. And it was cheaper than many Taiwanese "blah" bikes. It can be done. I love to do business with Turner. Excellent bike, excellent Customer service, All American made. Too bad most of the stuff hanging on the Turner frame is Taiwanese, Japanese, or Canadian. I wanted to go American on this last build. I9, Turner, and... Salsa(?)

Dazed

Chimp
Jan 14, 2005
Norway
Turner Turner Turner.
I am on my third one in ten years. upgraded first one, lost the second to theft. I have watched so many other companies shaft people by cutting corners, outsourcing to save pennies, or marketing in value.
I recently received my latest version of the RFX. it is even better than the one that was stolen. And it was cheaper than many Taiwanese "blah" bikes. It can be done. I love to do business with Turner. Excellent bike, excellent Customer service, All American made. Too bad most of the stuff hanging on the Turner frame is Taiwanese, Japanese, or Canadian. I wanted to go American on this last build. I9, Turner, and... Salsa(?)
I'd replace I9 and Salsa with Chris King, Thomson and NoTubes, myself.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Try to find a rim MADE (not sourced) by a US company. Arrow is one that you can get though...next wheelset? FRX rim for me!
BUT, when I can't use (or afford to use) a made right here in the U.S. of A. part, I'd rather use a UK or Canadian MADE (again not based in that country yet sourced in Taiwan) part anytime!
I run CK hubs front and rear now. Next build? Now that I'm married, home, two daughters? I'd LOVE to use his hubs. Will I use a CK headset? Absolutely. Can I justify 350 bones for a rear CK hub alone? Nope. Do I blame CK for that? Nope.
Just that I may have to use Hope/Arrow for the next build to make things work. Still a high end, custom wheelset for me...just not going to cost me a grand to build up.

But, then again, every frame that I've ridden since getting into mtn biking (from my Skyway T/A BMX days) has been made in the US. My first two Gary Fishers, one steel, one Alu, my Pro-Flex 857, my Smorgasbord, and my Eastern Woods Research....

Election year or not, no matter WHAT party you lean toward.... Do what you can, when you can, to support our US mfrs!

Interbike is only days away. I'm not associated with any mfr...but keep an eye out. See who you truely feel comfortable supporting. See who's making a point of saying, "Made in the USA!"

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
some brooklyn stuff is still made here. I don't think they do much in-house welding, I believe that's sourced to kinesis, and the park bike was from taiwan or something. the earlier bikes were all done in house, including the racelink up through like #50 or something.
:poster_oops:

:crazy:sorry for the late response...

AHEM. listen up folks! ALL of the Brooklyn frames are still made by humans (we call them Seth & Ken) at 16 Powers St. in Brooklyn. This 'outsourcing' rumor has really gotten some milage, here's the scoop. Years ago a small number of frames were made at Kinesis (IN THE US!!) by Landon (who now does Tonic Fab). No Brooklyn frame has ever been manufactured outside the US. All welding for the SR-6, SR-8, ACL, MCL, Big Ben, and all three Gangster sizes is done in house. All associated linkages and bracketry are CNC'd here as well. Feel free to swing by and check out the shop anytime.

Bring coffee, not working all day is tiring.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey Bro,
Thanks for clearing up the rumor. It's good to see a relatively small shop in action. I briefly test rode an SR8 last weekend at plattekill and I must say I am very impressed. The geometry felt spot on and I was super excited to see that you're using a real length top tube now. It felt perfect.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Someone mentioned Hadley and white brothers. There is also S&M bikes, FBM Bikes, Unfortunately Cannondale sold out and is made overseas. Nemesis Project bikes, Black Market only the MOB, Tonic Fab, USB bikes.

Actually just found this thread and no it should not be forgotten.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not entirely sure where Mickey has the Spooky's made., but knowing Mickey they're US made.
In a phone call a couple weeks ago he said something about having to go to Boston to get the aluminum frames heat treated. No idea where they're getting welded though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I believe Sinisters are made in Canada now by Devinci.....or at least some of them?

Not entirely sure where Mickey has the Spooky's made., but knowing Mickey they're US made.
Frank still makes some of the sinisters.... I know he's doing the new DH bike.

Mickey has mentioned who makes the Spooky's, can't recall off the top of my head but its someone near him in Massachusetts.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I heard Sinister was being bought over but from what I know it is rumor. Frank does have the new DH bike that looks like a Gemini but i hear great things about it and the first run was completely sold. Not sure how many bikes it was. Don't think the second run is done yet.

What about Canfield Brothers?

FBinNY

Chimp
Jul 15, 2009
Suprised it took so long for someone to mention Cannondale.
Not for long, they're closing (may already be closed by now) the factory and going to 100% asian production starting with 2010 models

Meanwhile, virtually the entire lube and bike care category is US made, including:

Pedros
Finish Line
Rock n' Roll
ProGold
Boeshield
Tri-flow
and my stuff - Chain-L No5 (cheap plug)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Originally Posted by silentfoe
Suprised it took so long for someone to mention Cannondale.

Not for long, they're closing (may already be closed by now) the factory and going to 100% asian production starting with 2010 models

Already mentioned that about Crackandfail i mean Cannondale.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Here is my list of what I'm considering for next US made bike:

Ventana X-5 or El Terremoto
Intense Tracer
Foes FXR (tho I wish it had more travel)
Turner RFX
Sinister Gruitr
Ellsworth Moment

BTF

Chimp
Dec 28, 2001
Boston Ma
I believe Sinisters are made in Canada now by Devinci.....or at least some of them?
Gruitr is made in Canada, as was one batch of DNA's. Everything else, remaining seven models, are done in Bellows Falls Vt by FTW. Full US made frames are alive and well at Sinister. :thumb: