Quantcast

When to go to a double?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Arsbars said:
I'm a girl btw

I have no "hate" for triples. I just think too many people fall on the "I'm out of shape and can't ride that hill" excuse. There are reasons you work up to hills/mountain climbing. Maybe you keep a crazy cadence & need that granny gear?
Performance gain is slack if any, weight loss is gain too. Other than the crappy front derailleurs (shimano) & the long cage derailleurs i have no huge issue technically speaking. More along the lines of folks thinking they need a triple because that's what they've been told.

As I stated in my last post. For a good long time my only ride was a fixie running a mid 70's gear inches. I did centuries and charity rides. Sure climbing sucked but I'm not working out to not break a sweat. Now a 25t with a granny gear is low 20's I believe? I could completely seeing a granny gear if you are riding that climb you gave us the profile on... but how many everyday cyclist see that?

My other comments were also based on ratios. With a triple I find most people are complaining things are either too easy or two hard between the granny and the middle.

That's my two cents. I have no HATE. I just dont think the vast majority of entry level bikes should be with compacts. I also don't like a ton of Shimanos parts or listen to ska. Only my opinons and things I've seen/heard/felt.
First off - sorry for the "he" references.

Now I understand where you are coming from... thanks for taking the time to explain things for me. I'll definitely be going to a compact double as soon as my budget allows.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
First off - sorry for the "he" references.

Now I understand where you are coming from... thanks for taking the time to explain things for me. I'll definitely be going to a compact double as soon as my budget allows.
No worries - sorry about seeming like a hater :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
rooftest said:
11/21? Damn!
I have 3 cassettes that I use for my road bike - 11/21, 11/23 & 12/26. Right now I am not in real good shape so the 12/26 hasn't been changed for a year.:dead:

I used to think a tight triple set-up would be nice but then L'oopie got a triple and, well... you know. :monkey:

EDIT: 11/21, 12/23, 13/26... I read the boxes.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I switched over to road in January, and have been riding a double with 12/25 since - works well for me.

As for Loopie - I'm still puzzled about his equipment choices - a $1,500 custom frame with 105 components?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
rooftest said:
As for Loopie - I'm still puzzled about his equipment choices - a $1,500 custom frame with 105 components?
I'm not. I am riding a 1991 Serotta with 2002 Chorus, the mix of Dura Ace / 600 was pretty much shot but the frame still fit me like a dream - I would have to spend upwards of $2,000.00 to replace my steel frame and fork. I'm happy that I do not need to.

The latest and greatest road frame technology usually involves cheaper manufacturing processes or such slight improvement that only the very elite could ever hope to gain any advantage. Now when it comes to mechanicals the advances over the span of 25 years are enourmous. The money L'oopie is saving buy not buying the hype will serve him much better when invested in a custom made steel frame that is likely to be the last frame he'll ever need.

Ebay is littered with "top end" mass produced made in China frames that have been stripped of their running gear - they sell for a fraction of their supposed MSRP because they are crap - the only thing that sets them apart is their wild decals and marketing campagne. The biggest advance in frame technologly in my lifetime is carbon fiber - carbon fiber is cheap and adaptable and, in many applications, easier to work with than steel. In fact it is now cheaper to manufacture a carbon fiber fork than it is to have one made of steel. It is also becoming cheaper to manufacture a carbon fiber frame than it is to make a lugged steel frame.

L'oopie is wise to invest his hard earned $$$ in the one component few cyclists ever think about. Most bicyle buyers are sold on hype and logos. L'oopie is smarter than that - I think because he's a Jew. :monkey:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
I'm not...
thanks bro!

rooftest said:
I think Chorus is a step above 105...
I don't like the ergo of Campy :dead:

Before spending money, it's good to know ones needs and desires. I'm extremely lucky to know what I want, in cycling and life (just got engaged!)

I know that long hours of comfort on my bike (proper materials and fit) far outweighs component choices. SM really helped make that point over the past two years.

Would you agree that it's better to buy a better fitting frame and 105 components than a frame that doesn't fit as well with Chorus or DA?

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
LordOpie said:
Would you agree that it's better to buy a better fitting frame and 105 components than a frame that doesn't fit as well with Chorus or DA?
I would. I'm just giving you heat for putting low-rent components on a $1,500 frame. I'm comparing it to putting some VW beetle wheels on a Porsche.

If it were me dumping that money on a frame, I'd want to make it shift clean too. Just my opinion, but I'm quick to share it!