Quantcast

Whitetail (dirt) race

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Just heard a rumor it looks like it's going to happen.
Don't know when though.

thats all i got.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Rumors are true! Racer's Edge Inc. will host the first ever Capital Cup (part of the Mid-Atlantic Cup Series) at Whitetail resort June 23-25 (Friday through Sunday) Stay tuned to RacersEdgeOnline for more details.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Definately sad to have a conflicting event the same weekend. Whitetail only offered a couple of dates to choose from and this was the best one. Futhermore, there will most likely be ONLY ONE weekend to ride/race @ Whitetail this year, maybe the other venue can change their date.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
thats going to be a huge mistake, to make it on a conflicting date. Not good for eithe venue, especially whitetail. This will probably HALF the attendance to whitetail - which means not good news for future events at whitetail

dink

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
Charlottesville VA
just as much as anyone else here i would love to see whitetail open again. I dont think just showing up in mass numbers is going to help but so much. Years ago they had a great number of riders on any given wekend and they still shut the bike program down. getting a chance to ride there again is a great thing but if they offered multiable dates why schedule it on a conflicting weekend? the racing group of riders is small enough as it is. why shoot both places in the foot? it just makes no sense that with all the racing on the east coast this year that has already been posted that the last race to be sceduled could not be worked around what was already on the calander.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Snow Shoe is such a pain in the a$$ to get to coupled with the fact that it is all but a rain forest, not a tough desision at all. Whitetail it is!!! That news makes me all warm and tingly.
Nice job Mike H!
Later E.C.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
corey_dcstreet said:
having riding at whitetail is more important to me than hitting the first ss race. the bike program is well established there, whitetail needs our help. if the date can't be changed, i would urge everyone to go to whitetail instead. they need to know how many riders are out there.
Yeah, What He said.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
Cool looks like i might be able to make it to that race, its closer than snow shoe is and if i want i can go to snow shoe on one of the other 3 races. If only i could get my bike fixed up....Any information on the course?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hrm...... What to do, what to do?!

I want to do the MAC, but I also want to do the Snowshoe series!

Any ideas when the rest of the MAC will be published?

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Course not yet determined, thinking BMX linked with some new stuff. Reguardless, it will be the same course for all classes. As for schedule conflicts, Whitetail offered only a few dates to choose from, all of which had major events (Sugar National, Mt.Snow and US Open). Really hate to conflict with a fine venue like Snowshoe but given the dates available it's the best one. One thing is for certain, there will only be three days of riding at Whitetail this year versus how many at Snowshoe? The choice is yours, after all this is America.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
We are heading to Whitetail. We know Mike's courses will be great and I'm interested in supporting the opportunity to race an hour and 15 minutes from Baltimore or DC ! I appreciate what SS has done and we will go back there. But I know Mike will make the Whitetail race something special.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
MikeT said:
thats going to be a huge mistake, to make it on a conflicting date. Not good for eithe venue, especially whitetail. This will probably HALF the attendance to whitetail - which means not good news for future events at whitetail

Why? SS draws heavily from NC & So Va, I suspect WhiteTail will get Balt/DC/PA/NJ/NY You are not saying that the east coast cant support 2 races at the same time?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
well we'll see.

I went to the ETSU race this past season, and there were just a handfull of riders in each class :/ was not a good turnout. I hope the same doesnt happen to whitetail, especially since it's on the same date as Snowshoe.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Sounds like someone really blew it on the scheduling.

Given the choice of conflicting with another race Mt Snow would be the obvious selection if your goal is to maximize turnout in the weekend warrior amateur classes where the majority of entrants run. Conflicting with Snowshoe forces a choice between venues located a few hours apart, both drawing from the same pool of mid atlantic riders. It's fairly unlikely that most weekend warriors would be that hard pressed to choose an 8+ hour drive to Vermont over an hour or two drive to Whitetail.

Maximum turnout is the goal for venues as it yields more cash. Greater numbers of willing venues increases the livelihood of the sport. Pretty simple.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Conflict with the Mt. Snow National? Are you on glue?
Not sure which route you take but Mt. Snow and Snowshoe are about the same travel time from Baltimore.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
As a strong supporter of the MAC series we will be there. Whitetail is the first place I ever rode, It will be great to get back there again. As far as the conflict I am sure this was attempted to be avoided as much as possible and I think it sucks that a choice will have to be made. The SS gang works as hard as anyone to put on a great show and have succeeded well in the past. My biggest complaint is what happened to Wisp??? That place , although short ,was one of the most fun places in the series. I will miss the go kart races.

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
I think HBT is making is good point. Most weekend riders in this area would cetainly pick Whitetail over Mt.Snow. I am very happy to see Whitetail doing something this year, but have they stated anything about opening full time? Are they using this race as a gage for opening? How many riders is it going to take for them to consider opening?
My concern is not that SS will be hurt by this, more like Whitetail will not get the most bang for the buck with the conflicting date. I hope am wrong, cause everybody has wanted this to happen since they closed.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
i be at Whitetail........50 minute drive versus 5.5 hour......hmm....i was only planning to hit 2 of the Snowshoe races anyway.

Whitetail is an awesome mountain, hope it goes off.
It's also the first place i ever DH'd still got my lift tag from '96......

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
MikeT said:
well we'll see.

I went to the ETSU race this past season, and there were just a handfull of riders in each class :/ was not a good turnout. I hope the same doesnt happen to whitetail, especially since it's on the same date as Snowshoe.

It shouldnt. ETSU is pretty far away from the major Population centers. Whitetail is 1 hour from DC and 1 HR & 15 min from Baltimore

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
HotButterToppin said:
Sounds like someone really blew it on the scheduling.

Given the choice of conflicting with another race Mt Snow would be the obvious selection if your goal is to maximize turnout in the weekend warrior amateur classes where the majority of entrants run. Conflicting with Snowshoe forces a choice between venues located a few hours apart, both drawing from the same pool of mid atlantic riders. It's fairly unlikely that most weekend warriors would be that hard pressed to choose an 8+ hour drive to Vermont over an hour or two drive to Whitetail.

Maximum turnout is the goal for venues as it yields more cash. Greater numbers of willing venues increases the livelihood of the sport. Pretty simple.
Actually, Most of the folks I know would head to the National because there are only 2 on the east coast, and actually neither is close to the Balt/Wash DC area.

Mike did the best with the dates he was given. Some BWI locals will choose to race the SnowShoe date, and thats their choice. To me Whitetail as a venue will bring in great #'s from the Northern Mid Atlantic/Southern New England Area. You dont see many license plates at SS from these areas unless it was the national. My experience is that SS gains more support from So Va, NC, TN & some Georgia. MD & NoVa riders too of course. But they didnt have this option.

Sep 30, 2004
Arlington VA
Snowshoe is a venue which has supported DH for the last decade,and
they are really stepping it up this season.What else will Whitetail be
doing,nothing.SS put their schedule up quite a while ago,another
reason for me to go there.All this will do is cut attendance for both
events.It will also stink to be a race behind in either series.

My two cents,Don.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
RepoDemoRider said:
Snowshoe is a venue which has supported DH for the last decade,and
they are really stepping it up this season.What else will Whitetail be
doing,nothing.SS put their schedule up quite a while ago,another
reason for me to go there.All this will do is cut attendance for both
events.It will also stink to be a race behind in either series.

My two cents,Don.

Well said. I feel the same way. I have been going to SS since I got into riding and it has gotten better every year. I wll be a the SS race.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Is the Snowshoe series going to be a NORBA sanctioned event? I know the MAC is and albeit NORBA really sucks I wonder if the crowd will only be split between NORBA Points and Snowshoe fun. I am planning on hitting SS for #3 and #5, but all the MACS and the 2 east coast nationals.

crazywolf

Chimp
Jan 19, 2006
only 2 nats on the east...and we'll be there so the whitetail deal works for me and my group.. and we like the mac .....yea its a bummer to miss a race at snowshoe...but what can you do....anyhow good luck to all......

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
You can please some of the people, some of the time but you can't please all the people, all the time! Look for Whitetail to be one of the best events of the year, hands down.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Snowshoe is a place where the management have been REAL supportive of the sport, so I feel that I should show at least a bit of gratitude and appreciation for their efforts to allow us a great place to ride on a consistent basis.

Just my .02

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
sirknight6 said:
Snowshoe is a place where the management have been REAL supportive of the sport, so I feel that I should show at least a bit of gratitude and appreciation for their efforts to allow us a great place to ride on a consistent basis.

Just my .02
Snowshoe's not going anywhere.

Whitetail closed here at the end of the 2000 season and it left alot of the locals in complete shock. Its a super nice place that did alot for mountain biking for many years. I'm not going to miss the chance to ride there at least one more time.......i suspect alot of people will be going back to remember the good times that place gave them.

If you've never been there you should go.....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Cant Climb said:
Snowshoe's not going anywhere.

Whitetail closed here at the end of the 2000 season and it left alot of the locals in complete shock. Its a super nice place that did alot for mountain biking for many years. I'm not going to miss the chance to ride there at least one more time.......i suspect alot of people will be going back to remember the good times that place gave them.

If you've never been there you should go.....
Valid point, I have never been there myself.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Its kinda funny how people are bitching about conflicting dates. When I first got into racing there where not a whole lot of races that I was willing to drive the distance to. Now this year there are a ton of races within 6 hours. It does suck that the dates conflict because it will just end up hurting both races but it is nice having alot of races to choose from thoughout the season.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
denjen said:
Its kinda funny how people are bitching about conflicting dates. When I first got into racing there where not a whole lot of races that I was willing to drive the distance to. Now this year there are a ton of races within 6 hours. It does suck that the dates conflict because it will just end up hurting both races but it is nice having alot of races to choose from thoughout the season.
It is kinda funny, the past two years there have been 5 races all season, this year there are double that! Having to choose between two good races sucks, but...... we should only be so lucky!