Quantcast

why are downhillers so finnicky?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Who is that guy?

Back in the late '90's I heard a rumor of some guy racing the NORBA dh series on a rigid bike and wearing Hawaiian shirts. Never saw him or saw a picture but this reminded me of that story.

When I think too much about my gear I see pics like this and it puts it all back into perspective.
that would be sanjay. there are countless stories of him going fast as hell on some clapped out pos. riding with him is what taught me to never bitch about my gear.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
that would be sanjay. there are countless stories of him going fast as hell on some clapped out pos. riding with him is what taught me to never bitch about my gear.
If we're talking late 90s, that particular story is probably about Orlando Martinez.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
OP - I nominate your post for lowest amount of comprehension of the year. Maybe even negative comprehension - it's like a vacuum in there.

Easy answer - because it's a hobby, and that's what hobbies are for. Duh.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
The minimal weight may vary from rider to rider but I agree. In some cases a very light bike feels strange. Wouldn't call it slower but if some people think it is - it may be for them. Though I'm glad the weight frenzy ended. I'd take proper geo, stiffness, durability and suspension over weight on any day.

I guess my quirk was the wording "once I have my bike at X weight, then I worry about geo." To me, geo should be paramount even when adding lighter components.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I think you're totally right on that one. My good bud is one of the filthiest riders around, and I definitely attribute it to him having a dialled bike and kit.
PB getting filthy. Clapped Sunday, bark busters and mud boots in full effect.