Quantcast

Windrock, TN 5/29....Who's game?

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
I will be in the area on Memorial Day weekend and was planning to head over to Windrock on Sunday 5/29 morning.

Anyone else going that weekend?

I be looking for somebody to hook up with on da shuttle.........

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Shouldn't this be posted in the DH forum? :confused:

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Sorry, could not resist. ;)
Yeah, just head to Windrock with a crew and truck,
and talk to a local at the bottom about what is up.
Joey will probaly be there working and riding, and can fill you in on the place.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Jeremy R said:
Just look for a clan of inbred 4 wheeler riders with their cracks showing and get in line behind them.
In that case I better bring a camera too.....

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
High, my name is Doug. Spoke80 is it? Welcome to riding. Have you been to Windrock yet?
No, is it super hair ball gnarly? Love drops to flat!

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
No ride to the Open, huh? Bummin'.

Charlie's back home as well so I'm waiting to hear back from him about his plans. I'll e-mail tomorrow night w/more details.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
we can't ride that place I took you to with the push ups...they're having a festival in town that weekend and getting through would be like running a comb through Brady's back hair...

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
Anybody from Atlanta wanna go? I'm heading early Sat. am and coming back Sun. eve. Never been there. Need to hook up with other riders if at all poss.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've been hearing some pretty good things about the trails out there.
i'll see if i can make it out there to see what all the fuss is about.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
i've been hearing some pretty good things about the trails out there.
i'll see if i can make it out there to see what all the fuss is about.

Windrock is way too gnar for you. Try Norris. There are some killer shuttles up there. Plus there is this old curmugen that runs the Windrock. Stay away from him :clue:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
Windrock is way too gnar for you. Try Norris. There are some killer shuttles up there. Plus there is this old curmugen that runs the Windrock. Stay away from him :clue:
yeah, i've heard stories.
i guess we'll have to take the bad with the good.

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
DHbuilder! Thanks for the trails! Sorry about the skids! I'll get up there later in the year to help do some maint.

-g

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
no damage done.

it was just funny to see a section that we rail, having a skid line in it for the whole length of the run.
remind dave to s...can the x-c tubes before ya'll's next trip.

try to aim for sundays next time as those days have way less motorized traffic than saturdays. and we usually have that upper lot all to ourselves, making it a more relaxed area to do our turn arounds.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Eyedfy said:
...and you're going to teach a DH@Windrock clinic, when?.....I'd definately be interested.
Go easy on the front brake and lean the F back. Then lean the F back some more.

$25 please.
:rofl:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
JeffD said:
Go easy on the front brake and lean the F back. Then lean the F back some more.

$25 please.
:rofl:
fork over the $25 jeff.
because it's the REAR brake that you go easy on.
the front brake is the one doing all the speed control.
using the rear is worthless, as your weight shifts forward the rear unweights and has no stopping power at all. hence 50-60ft. of skidmarks on the trail with minimal effect on your speed. when feathering your front brake would have bled off all the speed you wanted without chewing through the trailbed.
therefore slowing your speed before blowing over the tops of the berms.
using your rear in conjunction with the front can help to steer the bike more than using the handlebars.

adjusting your front brake to be "loose" will give you tons of modulation so that even in a panic stop situation, you won't be flinging yourself over the bars. that's a fear that should be relegated to the beginer x-c crowd.

the best d.h. skill you can master is proper braking. and remembering that "slow in and fast out" is the right way to come into a section. not blast in , lock up the brakes and skid through.
that teaches you nothing and won't allow your skill level to improve.
using the slow in approach will allow you to start using less brakes on entrance and letting off sooner and exiting faster.

you can pay me when you see me.:)

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
Great, thanks!
And how about body position when carving those steep corners. Turning the handlebars in conjunction with leaning your body inside/forward? Leaning only and let the braking turn you? Inside leg off the pedal and out?

Oh, yeah, and how to approach and succeed that first jump after the first roadcut. It's going to haunt me until I actually clear it.....

Questions Mr. Wayne? Too many questions?

Please put this on my bill. :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Eyedfy said:
Great, thanks!
And how about body position when carving those steep corners. Turning the handlebars in conjunction with leaning your body inside/forward? Leaning only and let the braking turn you? Inside leg off the pedal and out?

Oh, yeah, and how to approach and succeed that first jump after the first roadcut. It's going to haunt me until I actually clear it.....

Questions Mr. Wayne? Too many questions?

Please put this on my bill. :)
practice. years and years and years of practice.
and you have to expect to throw in a few vicious crashes along the way.
every spike in the learning curve comes with a spike in pain.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Don't listen to these guys dude, I made it down Southern Rocks my very first time trying, and keep this in mind. It was only my 2nd day on a mountain bike EVER*. Seriously, I really did!! Guys (Butch, Jeff, Brady), am I lying here? I stopped a couple times from arm pump and to link up with Jeff, Brady or Butch to follow, but I made it all the way.

So if anybody should $25 for advice, here I am.

I think the stars were aligned or something, cause I haven't made it clean since, so I guess you should keep your $25...

Cheers,
Brian
*NOTE: Please call for a medical helicopter to be in the parking lot for my next trip to WR. Because she will now really reach up and cause me a world of pain unlike that I have ever felt before. For not only embarrassing her like that, but for telling the world. Your reading this from a dead man!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
BKQuill said:
Don't listen to these guys dude, I made it down Southern Rocks my very first time trying, and keep this in mind. It was only my 2nd day on a mountain bike EVER*. Seriously, I really did!! Guys (Butch, Jeff, Brady), am I lying here? I stopped a couple times from arm pump and to link up with Jeff, Brady or Butch to follow, but I made it all the way.

So if anybody should $25 for advice, here I am.

I think the stars were aligned or something, cause I haven't made it clean since, so I guess you should keep your $25...

Cheers,
Brian
*NOTE: Please call for a medical helicopter to be in the parking lot for my next trip to WR. Because she will now really reach up and cause me a world of pain unlike that I have ever felt before. For not only embarrassing her like that, but for telling the world. Your reading this from a dead man!
Nah...just imagine. This time your handlebars won't be sky high and your bottom bracket will be a normal height...and your rear shock will be worlds better technology.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Hey Old-N-Rickety, I wasn't talking about speed control, I was referring to simple survival. Most biffs I've seen and done at WR have been a result of grabbing too much front brake at a bad time. Newbs generally don't have a sense of fine tough at the lever and if they grab too much rear, worst thing that usually happens is they skid. Too much front and...:hot: :hot: :hot:

Fork that $25 back over with interest, please. :)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that's because they inevitably show up with their brakes set up with about 1/8in. of throw before they won't move any more.
like i said earlier. set your brakes up loose, that way you'll have plenty of lever throw and modulation.
making braking much easier to control and with far less arm pump.

them flipping over the bars isn't any concern of mine.
brakesliding all the way down the mt. on the other hand, won't win you any brownie points round these parts. it does little to slow you down, and destroys trails.
we all slide to some extent here. but it's more to quickly set the bike up going into turns. not to scrub speed.

and also like i said earlier. slow in fast out. that way you don't find yourself in a panic situation. especially in southernrocks.

pass the cash back over please.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
this is hilarious to read....It's like Seth Enslow debating Evil Kneivel.
Young meathead with an active concussion debating the limping daredevil of yesteryear.... heh heh... :sneaky:

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
dhbuilder said:
them flipping over the bars isn't any concern of mine.
Yeah, but to the fee paying clinic attendees it is. I agree 100% with what you're saying but you gotta remember that to the unitiated, ANY speed at WR might cause panic.

I'll have your cash waiting at the finishline of a BMX track. Come and get it.