Quantcast

WISP race series and freeride/downhill park

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
BigHitComp04 said:
Does anybody have any idea where that wooden berm is that is pictured on their website? I am clueless as to where it is...
Yeah, I was thinking that while I was there....... I think they might have lifted the picture from Snowshoe :eek:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Hey, does anyone know what the rest of the DH scheduled races are? I was looking at the Wisp site, and they appear to all be on Fridays. Any ideas?

avalanche165

Monkey
Aug 15, 2006
the wisp is fun if its close to you. if i had to travel i would much rather hit snowshoe, platekill, or diablo. im more of a park guy and they park is very tame at the wisp.

but its 30min away soooo, i go.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Is there a flyer out for the race? Start times, classes, etc.?
ctrl-x, ctrl-v from wisp's webpage:

23 rd – 24th Wisp Downhill Mountain Bike Series # 4 Finals
The 4th event in the Wisp Downhill Mountain Bike Series!
Watch riders take on the new Wisp Mountain Course during the Mountain X event before Sunday’s Downhill Competition.

Saturday, September 23
Mountain X Event on the new Wisp Mountain Course
9:00am Registration Opens
10:00am Lift Opens for DH practice
12:00pm Registration Closes for Mountain X
12:45pm Dual Riders Meeting
1:00pm Mountain X Qualifier
4pm Mountain X - Awards to Follow
5:00pm DH Course/Lift Closed for the Day

Sunday, September 24
Downhill Event
8:00am Registration Opens
10:00am Registration Closes
10am Lift Opens for DH Practice
12:45pm Mandatory Rider Meeting @ DH Start
1:00pm DH Race - Awards to Follow
Event fee $35 for Downhill, $25 Mountain X, $50 both events. Event fees include a Fri – Sunday Trail, Lift & Park Pass.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Thanks, dude. How about age groups? Anyone know how they are split up?
Is there a page with results from previous races?
Can the DH be run on a 4-5" travel slalom bike(Tazer)?
Sorry for the questions. It's just that it is going to be a major ordeal getting both of my bikes up there and if I can bring one it will make my life easier.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I don't really have all the answers. I haven't actually even ridden there. From the descriptions I've seen here on RM I'm guessing a 4-5" bike would be fine. As for age groups I found these race results on their website. It looks like it is broken down into pro, expert, sport, beginner and Jr., senior, vet, master.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm thinking about heading up to Wisp next weekend for the race. I'll be camping out in either Swallow Falls SP or Deep Creek SP. Does anyone have any opinion which is better? I've hiked at Swallow Falls before and it was really nice with the river and the waterfalls and all but I think it's a little further away.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Does anyone know if Wisp is running these races as an over all series? I have a 1st and a 4th going right now, so want to know what I have to do to place in the top three uber alles in the beginner group.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Does anyone know if Wisp is running these races as an over all series? I have a 1st and a 4th going right now, so want to know what I have to do to place in the top three uber alles in the beginner group.
wisp does have a series, consisting of 4 races, this being the final one. Since they are norba events, they probably use the standard norba point system for beginner:
1st place is 25 points
2nd is 24
3rd is 23
etc.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Do we know if one of them is going to be a drop race? I had to fly the fat across the nation for Nationals the middle race.

oddly while at Nats I was wishing I was riding Wisp. Yea, Sonoma sucked that much.