Quantcast

World Championships 2007

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm no IronHorse fan here, but has any other bicycle company won 3 world champ titles in the same year?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So I guess IH bikes will be all the rage for yet another year.

How far back was Barel?
0.64 I think (it's on here somewhere). Really close. I expected Hill to win, but I am very impressed with Barel. He always turns it up for Worlds, but with the injury and all his run must have been pretty amazing. I did not think anyone would get that close to Hill.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Sunn did it 2 times at most, 1998 for sure and maybe '97 if Pascal won Jr. that year.

maybe another year if you add xc and miguel martinez to the equation, but that's a different sport altogether.
I am, of course adding in XC, and with Martinez and Dupoey, not to mention Gachet in DH you have a whole lot of gold medals...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
0.64 I think (it's on here somewhere). Really close. I expected Hill to win, but I am very impressed with Barel. He always turns it up for Worlds, but with the injury and all his run must have been pretty amazing. I did not think anyone would get that close to Hill.
Isn't Fabien just coming off an injury too?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Congrats to Sam and Sabo!

Yeah - a lot of people forget just how fast Barel is... didn't he injure himself last year too? Wasn't it some kind of really bad road rash he got freeriding at Whistler - needed some stitches and was out for a race or 2?

I'm pretty sure he beat Sam at one race last year... was it in NZ??? Can't remember.

When Barel is healthy, and "on" he can definitely give Sam a run for his money.

Sooo I waded through every single page and just had some questions:

1. What happened to Beneke?
2. What hell happened to Kovarik?
3. Sam Hill showing giddy excitement and jumping up and down??? I'll believe it when I see it. :biggrin: (way to go Sammy!)
4. Cedric's wrist - what did he break? Was it something major?
5. Ass-less skin suits - a new trend for 08', or just a fashoin statement for 07'?

Just wonderin'....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't know if you were watching but did you see his line through that rock section they kept showing most of the riders go through? It was like he used the rocks as a dirt jump transfer effectively doubling up sections, transferring from the riders left line to the right and getting backside on the exit, accelerating out. Amazing. I wish I could see it again. I have renewed respect for that fast frog!

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Maybe I'm hearing strange noises, but did anyone else hear booing at the end when Sam had the quick interview? Could have been hooting but I dunno.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I don't know if you were watching but did you see his line through that rock section they kept showing most of the riders go through? It was like he used the rocks as a dirt jump transfer effectively doubling up sections, transferring from the riders left line to the right and getting backside on the exit, accelerating out. Amazing. I wish I could see it again. I have renewed respect for that fast frog!
Sam had a crazy ninja line through there too, but the camera didn't really catch it. you can see it at the beginning of the footage from the helicopter. those 2 guys came out of there with more speed than anyone by far.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
skc they had skin suits last year too
Heh - I was just making a joke about the "ass-less" skinsuit... I know they had skinsuits last year but one of the elite men had a bad wreck during his race run and tore the ass of his suit open... can't remmeber who it was though...

Pretty funny.

:biggrin:

What happened to Kovarik and Beneke though? Anyone know?

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
when Beneke race Plattekill two weeks ago we said he was going but had to focus on the German Jr team. He wasn't sure whether or not he would be able to race.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
69th
76 GER19720223 BENEKE Jurgen GER 5:07.14

Kovarik must've had some trouble at the top(mechanical / flat / crash)

86th
74 AUS19780301 KOVARIK Chris AUS 7:06.57

Also, Hooray for competent announcers!

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Maybe I'm hearing strange noises, but did anyone else hear booing at the end when Sam had the quick interview? Could have been hooting but I dunno.
No but I heard about half the crowd boo when Fabien lifted his arms in that same interview.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Is there anywhere I can download sam's run for worlds? I cant run quicktime on my comp. but have a convert program if i can dl the video from somewhere...Anyone know?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
so what gives... i was worried waking up late due to my "medically induced coma" haha that i missed some great race action.... but what the hell!?!?! nothing has changed! same world champs! haha
j/k

ok, well i am bummed that i have missed it all.. would have been a blast to see. i'm sure it'll all be on youtube soon enough :D can't wait to see some pics from it as well!

man, Kovarik is just in limbo or something... he's been having a hell o a time getting back on top. whether it be crashes, mechanical or any kind of bad luck. After his injury i thought it would have taken a year or 2 to be a contender again... granted he did have a few good results & a world cup win at MSA in 06.. but man, i feel for the guy

would have been nice to see CG racin... he's ALWAYS done well at Ft Bill.

stoked to see little tracey hannah on the podium! i tell ya, that girl is gonna take over the women's scene sooner than i originally though!

kinda disappointed at the lack of coverage... even last year there were sooo many more places to find photos. this year just seems so less exciting that previous years. maybe just because i've been otherwise occupied... i donno...i'm on a mission next year

Bring on WC FINALS!!!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
stoked to see little tracey hannah on the podium! i tell ya, that girl is gonna take over the women's scene sooner than i originally though!
What awesome too is to see their are some youngster pushing behind as well! Floriane Pugin cleaned the junior girls by 30s and is just 10s out of Tracy! At least we know there is still going to be some good racing coming :)

Hill is amazing.. Kind of bummed to see the crowd booing Barel though.

What happened to Van Dine?

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Sorry GB guys...but Fort William is a BIG peace of sh1@#t place.
Since 2002 the first WC race there and is always raining.
You dont even make any sense. Im just back from the race and let me tell you that it was fvcking brilliant! The atmosphere was unbelievable, who gives a toss if it rains. Its just water you know, it wont kill you. Fort Bill has been consistently voted as the best round of the World Cup for the last few years. The riders love it, the fans love it so please think first before you post such cr@p.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005