Quantcast

World Champs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
exactly, when and if sam puts it together, he is in a different league to everyone else, im just waiting for that one run that we see on freecaster when he nails it!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
That's because he is better than everyone else. It's not smugness when you can back it up.
Uh, yes it is.

adj. smug·ger, smug·gest
Exhibiting or feeling great or offensive satisfaction with oneself or with one's situation

Examples of athletes that were best in their sports that weren't smug at all - Michael Jordan, Steve Young, Emmit Smith, Tony Hawk, Bob Burnquist, Mark McGwire etc.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Strangely enough, they only have as much hill to ride up as the DHers have to ride down. Not entirely unexpected. :thumb:
Also from all accounts the XC course is GNARLY, my flatmate destroyed his big ring on the first day riding it, a few people are switching out the big ring for a bash, and the granny......well most xc racers don't use that anyway.

Single chainring xc bikes are already popular regardless of the course, Kabush won the Bromont world cup on a 1x9

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm looking forward to seeing them, and seeing them in the flesh come thursday:thumb:
There's some pretty cool new stuff showing up this year. besides the usual "special" worlds colors and such, there is some actual NEW Product designed specifically for that track. It's going oto be sick. See you Thursday!

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Curse you dirtcycleriders. I've got to go to Canberra next week (not to watch your stoopid racing) for work, and all the hotels are full.

The best thing is that I leave on Thursday night so get to miss all the 'best' parts. If I see any of you at the airport with your manky hair and reeediculous bikes in boxes at the airport I'll kick you in the shins

:-)

fearless

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
maybe it's the camera angle, but i disagree with Rando regarding that man-made rock garden. I think a shorter travel "mini-dh" bike will do just fine on that section. That course walk really reminded me of a long 4X track.
Don't let the camera angle deceive you. We've ridden this track enough to know that shorter travel bikes won't handle the punishment through the rock garden. I've seen alot of short travel frames snap through the rock garden lately. Anything under a 8 inch is not going to be fun.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
maybe it's the camera angle, but i disagree with Rando regarding that man-made rock garden. I think a shorter travel "mini-dh" bike will do just fine on that section. That course walk really reminded me of a long 4X track.
Yeah cos Rando really doesn't know what he's talking about.......That's like watching brain surgery and telling the surgeon you don't think hes using the right type of scalpel

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I predict somebody will not use a DH bike. I predict that person will be ridiculously smooth over the rocks anyway, and then make up the 1/2 a second lost there on the rest of the track. I predict that someone will podium.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Wow... The main rock garden has been cleaned up a lot since last year (and the previous years...). It looks almost groomed now.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Hmm, I wonder if we will see any interesting tire choices. From a complete "never been there internet speculation" point of view, it looks like most corners are bermed to some degree. I wonder if we'll see some semi-slicks or at least tires with the center knobs cut way down. It appears that rolling resistance will prevail over traction as a concern on this course. Anyone with some knowledge have any insight?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Jeebus, can you say giant 4X track? Graves, Dan Atherton, etc. (those 4x/dh crossovers) may do well here. Oh - then there is that Lopez character.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's cold and windy as heck here in Canberra. Course walk is today and then a week of practice starts, should be a good one. Also, booze is now incredibly expensive since the new tax...about $25 cnd for a 6 pack!!???

RaID

Turbo Monkey
It's cold and windy as heck here in Canberra. Course walk is today and then a week of practice starts, should be a good one. Also, booze is now incredibly expensive since the new tax...about $25 cnd for a 6 pack!!???
thats only for the premixed drinks, thanks to our nanny government trying to curb binge drinking with an epic fail, which they have admitted to but wont remove the tax back to previous levels.

Beer is still same price

Looking at the weather forecast, should be nice and tacky for race day if it doesnt dry up too quickly

Tuesday Fine. Sunny. Min 3 Max 14
Wednesday Fine. Morning frost. Min -2 Max 16
Thursday Few showers. Windy. Min 5 Max 17
Friday Fine. Sunny. Min 3 Max 14
Saturday Fine. Sunny. Min 1 Max 14
Sunday Mostly fine. Min 1 Max 14

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Also, booze is now incredibly expensive since the new tax...about $25 cnd for a 6 pack!!???
Knowing those Aussies - they probably put the tax up especially for the MTB booze circus that's just hit town and will drop it as soon as you leave! ;)

Beer in NZ is around CDN10 a sixer! Now that is enough reason to get the Worlds back down to OW!tearoa.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Jeeesus... that's a hefty price to pay to get drunk.

Speaking of beer, is VB as good as my Australian friend swears it is?

Definitely pumped for World Champs. I'm interested in seeing what new, or otherwise innovative things we're going to see on the Pro's bikes to suit this course. There are a lot of super-fit riders in the top-25 nowadays so it's hard to pin down a favorite. No wonder the LitterOTB is such a baller prize!

Props to Litter, Transcend, and Dirt for the coverage!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just got all credentialed up, off to walk the course shortly then meeting up with Aussies. First real event is pump track worlds on wednesday, should be rad.

As an aside, today is the first day of spring here down under. It's sunny, cool and the trees and flowers are starting to blossom. Should be some nice backgrounds by the weekend.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
thats only for the premixed drinks, thanks to our nanny government trying to curb binge drinking with an epic fail, which they have admitted to but wont remove the tax back to previous levels.

Beer is still same price
:rofl: Haha...Fraser was caught buying wine coolers :busted:

-ska todd

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
damn! its really gonna get cold for the finals, should affect the riders breathing... 25 for a six pack? hahaha try 7 us dollars in chile! hohoho! Are sam and brendog going to ride sx's or go with some demo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.