Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FIFA acknowledges problems with Jabulani ball

“The balls have changed over the last couple of years, they have become a lot faster and in addition to that in Johannesburg we are playing at an altitude of 1,700 meters, which makes the ball even faster,” former Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn said. “Thus the goalkeepers work even harder, but I don’t think that we can take the ball or the altitude as excuses.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Horrible call by the linesman, but it's a good thing it came during a match where England were completely played off the pitch and were outclassed in every department. It's just mindboggling to see this team of incredebly skilled superstars implode time and time again.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Horrible call by the linesman, but it's a good thing it came during a match where England were completely played off the pitch and were outclassed in every department. It's just mindboggling to see this team of incredebly skilled superstars implode time and time again.
After watching todays game, I came up with a new theory as to why England has sucked and here it is:

Maybe they aren't THAT good. Sure, Rooney is great when he is playing with Ronaldo, but by himself, he's not that special.

Think Scottie Pippen. Yes, when he played on the Bulls everyone thought he was great. But take MJ out of the picture and Scottie wasn't all that (as proven in Portland).

Maybe the reason England hasn't done much in the WC in forever is because maybe the English players just aren't as good individually as they seem.

Or maybe it is just ego and they lack national pride to play together.

<edit> In contrast, Germany looked stunning. The stat that Germany has reached the round of 8 EVERY TIME since the 50's is incredible. Maybe England needs to get some Polish players or something. :rofl:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
After watching todays game, I came up with a new theory as to why England has sucked and here it is:

Maybe they aren't THAT good. Sure, Rooney is great when he is playing with Ronaldo, but by himself, he's not that special.

Think Scottie Pippen. Yes, when he played on the Bulls everyone thought he was great. But take MJ out of the picture and Scottie wasn't all that (as proven in Portland).

Maybe the reason England hasn't done much in the WC in forever is because maybe the English players just aren't as good individually as they seem.

Or maybe it is just ego and they lack national pride to play together.

<edit> In contrast, Germany looked stunning. The stat that Germany has reached the round of 8 EVERY TIME since the 50's is incredible. Maybe England needs to get some Polish players or something. :rofl:
This. An excellent read on the subject is Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski's Soccernomics. I think they overstate a lot of what they say, but their points are mostly valid. In their bit on England, they basically say that England doesn't actually underperform, as is the perception. Using a variety of metrics they rank countries on how they perform on the world stage, and then use that to estimate how well a given country is expected to perform, given it's population, GDP, number of matches played, and a whole bunch of other stuff. In short they found that, given their set of standards, England actually does a little better than would be expected of them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I expect them to suck and they did that. I am happy.
:rofl:

From Soccernomics:

"Habitually, English players charge out of the gate, run around like lunatics, and exhaust themselves well before the match is over, even if they aren't hungover. You see this in England's peculiar scoring record in big tournaments. In every World Cup ever played, most goals were scored in the second halves of matches... But England, in it's last 5 big tournaments scored 22 of it's 35 goals in the first halves of matches."

Edit: this time around was no different. They scored all 3 of their goals in first halves.

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Do you think US Soccer will look to a foreign born coach following the loss to Ghana?

My prediction is that they'll bring someone from abroad in to coach the National team over the next 5 years.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Do you think US Soccer will look to a foreign born coach following the loss to Ghana?

My prediction is that they'll bring someone from abroad in to coach the National team over the next 5 years.
I question the starting lineup as well, but I think overall he got us there and did a good job of it.

Maybe go overseas, but it's not how we roll.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I question the starting lineup as well, but I think overall he got us there and did a good job of it.

Maybe go overseas, but it's not how we roll.
We need better strikers. All our goals came from mid-fielders. Nobody up front really posed a significant threat. Sometimes just having someone that is a threat helps open up space for others.......maybe Bradley should have given Edson Buddle (spelling) a chance? Did he play at all?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
We need better strikers. All our goals came from mid-fielders. Nobody up front really posed a significant threat. Sometimes just having someone that is a threat helps open up space for others.......maybe Bradley should have given Edson Buddle (spelling) a chance? Did he play at all?
Came in late in the second half of the Ghana game, I think.

Edit: oops...64th minute of the Algeria game.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The US gets a lot of goals from mids, though. Edu should have started and Dempsey needs to work on his finishes. Donovan's rebound goal was perfect, but we could have had 3 or more of those had anyone made a run, too.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I think I said it earlier - FIFA == dumbasses :(
a huge part of the appeal of the game for the fans is the post-game polemic....

people still remember, talk and fight about england`s goal on `66, or maradona`s goal in `86...

making soccer less emotional = less fan involvement = less money for fifa...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

Klinsmann WANTS the job...they took Bradley over him, and he would have waited tables in heels and a skirt for a shot. Maybe now...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Klinsmann WANTS the job...they took Bradley over him, and he would have waited tables in heels and a skirt for a shot. Maybe now...
I thought we couldn't afford him then? Maybe with the $12M from the buyout of Donovan's contract we can get him.

<edit> Rumor is Man City is looking to offer Donovan $5M a year.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
<edit> Rumor is Man City is looking to offer Donovan $5M a year.
They can have him. He has failed to make it in Bundesliega, what makes them think he will hack it in Champions League? He should be humbled by his failures in Europe, and learn from them, but he doesnt seem to have been. A ton of talent, but no balls.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They can have him. He has failed to make it in Bundesliega, what makes them think he will hack it in Champions League? He should be humbled by his failures in Europe, and learn from them, but he doesnt seem to have been. A ton of talent, but no balls.
The scouting report was talking about his last second shot and how they felt he has progressed since playing overseas. He hadn't panicked and they feel he has room to grow at 28.

Everyone has said he would be twice the player he is now had he been thrown to the wolves earlier. But I think he is ready and it would be awesome to see a US player get called up.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It was a good move on his part to pass up the Germany job. He'd have a hard time making a repeat performance from '06, and as is he's a fvcking national hero for last time 'round. Plus doesn't he live in CA now? Laguna Beach or something?