Quantcast

Would you buy a trampoline?

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
When I was seven, my best friend at the time had a neighbor who was a gymnastics/trampoline teacher. She had a gnarly trampoline in their backyard. It was built into the ground and whenever they used it they had pads all around it and like ten feet extending from it. Whenever I would go over to my friend's house we'd see kids flying on the other side of the fence. One day some older neighborhood kids hopped her fence while she was out and were jumping on it. My friend and I watched them for a while from a 2nd story balcony and they started double-bouncing themselves or whatever. Some how one of them shot off sideways from a double-bounce and flew diagonally like 25 feet and smashed through a fence, head first. That didn't stop him though, the tree on the other side of the fence did. He cracked his head open on the fence and broke his wrist and arm on the tree. Needless to say, that was the last time anyone from the neighborhood hopped her fence to jump on it.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Dig it in. My boss has two in his front yard. The standard round one, then added an Olympic trampoline this spring. It is crazy what the kids are pulling now, last week they dialed in double flips.

Check with your home owners insurance first. Some insurance companies will not cover you if you own a trampoline.

SavageOne

Chimp
Oct 3, 2008
SLC, UT
I have one and my 7 and 5 year old spend hours on it. I grew up with one and I remember the sh$t my friends and I would do, so you still have to be a responsible parent and watch them.
I am going to break down a bike and pad the pedals, fork legs and chainstay, to protect the trampoline, so I can get more comfortable in the air. Next...backflip! Who needs a foam pit

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
My kids were asking about one for a while. I just keep telling them"no". I don't want all of the kids from the neighborhood over here every day. Besides, there are neighbors that have them. There are four of them within a block. They can go play on theirs. Our yard is small too. It would take up about 1/5 of our yard.
I also don't want a bunch of kids over here that have sue happy parents.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A guy I used to work with almost tore his Finger off getting it stuck in a "containment net" last I had herd he still did not have full use of the finger back.
was it his wifes favorite finger?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Wow 31 posts before someone pulled out the juggies...you guys are loosing your touch ;)

You know your kids and self...do what's best for your situation. Personally, I think Sq-Earl would be more dangerous on the trampoline than Syd would be :busted:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
We have one...wife got it from a neighbor who was moving, dirt cheap. Kids love it, but it is not an addiction, nor would it be worth having dumped alot of $$ into. They bounce a few times per week.
Best was when my older boy and the neighbor were going off the roof onto it, and then were stopped prior to jumping back and forth over the fence from one to another...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Well what's the difference between jumping on a trampoline with a net and one of these? There are a few places around that have these? Is it that trampolines allow a higher of a jump?

It's basically the difference between jumping on a spring vs. jumping on a damper...........

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's basically the difference between jumping on a spring vs. jumping on a damper...........
not to mention, the neighbors won't empty a full clip of Airsoft into it when you're not home.

As for ours, we don't let the girls on it without us there. I've seen a guy yard who dug his into the ground. That was a big...big hole. And the only way our neighbors kids could get on this is if they even knew my house exists. We've been going to the same church down the road from our house for 5 years now and still nobody knows how to find our driveway, it's so hidden.:thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well what's the difference between jumping on a trampoline with a net and one of these? There are a few places around that have these? Is it that trampolines allow a higher of a jump?

The level of household gheyness.

<edit> Hey MMike, I think this is more appropriate for your crib.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Update: 4 year old found her limit Friday. So, yes, they're dangerous. Luckily, her older sister is awesome and is almost a better mom than me and the wife combined. The tears were almost wiped away before we could get to her.