Quantcast

Would you buy a Turner 4X bike?...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The Kona also has replaceable sliding dropouts, so you can alter the wheelbase. I have mine build kinda silly with a 36 on it, but goddam is it fun. I will be putting a pike on it very soon though, just suits it so much better.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
I can't beleive you guys are comparing a Kona with Turner!
Can you say craftsmanship ??
I think Turner needs to hurry up with the bike and you'll
see plenty of people will buy one!
there isn't many true options for me out there in a fs ds/mtx bike
geometry is either off or too heavily built!
I ride a giant trance which I like very much but could use a slacker HA
I bought it in 05 because Turner didn't make a 4x bike at the time
the Giant has a great suspension, really pedals well! And a good bit
lighter than other good 4x bikes - Intense Tazer, etc.
Are you saying you would get one if they were made?.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Nope, never ridden one.

Oh, except the one I own i guess. ;) The one that i rode last night, all over the city. Cowan DS, blue, wonderful. And they didn't stop making it, its back this year in a terrible Yellow color. I find it pedals fine, although admittedly I have a DHX air on there so that might help. I also run it with gears, cause single speed for me sucks.

Great little bike, its staying with me for quite a while.

I have put some time in on one, and honestly it is one of the most fun bikes i have ridden...Total blast, and whoever said they pedal like crap is full of it, its all in the shock set up.

PM "palilla" if you have any questions on it, he grabbed the blue one last year and wouldnt give it up for anything...I spoke with our regional kona rep on a ride this weekend and the frame is definately being done this year. Forget the turner, it's overpriced. My flame suit is engaged and ready for entry.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Flame suite enganged - funny

I dig the Kona too and its a strong argument against the Turner. Except for the yellow which hurt my eyes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
whoever said they pedal like crap is full of it, its all in the shock set up.
Read: "the suspension system itself sucks ass and bobs worse than a cheap hooker but if you compensate with a lot of low speed compression on a platform shock, then it works."

Just because you can compensate with shock setup doesn't make something an efficient suspension system... The bike might ride really great, but concentric BB pivots aren't exactly known to be efficient, so it can still pedal poorly. Compensating for it is not the same as pedalling well.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i would if i had the money.
actually, i now remember that Transition has their 'Double'. unless i could compare the bikes side-by-side, in person, i'd propbably go with the 'Double', assuming the Tuner offering would be in the $1500-range.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Lets not forget, Kona also has the Howler, which is thier dedicated Slalom/ 4x whatever frame too.

We'll find out how well the cowan pedals when i pop the new Vanilla R on there over the DHX air.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Are you saying you would get one if they were made?.
Well I have good bikes now,
I certainly would buy one if Turner gave
it to me at cost, I am a veteran Pro
any bike I would buy has to cheap!

They are probably up there at the
top spot on bikes I would love to own~

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
I am a veteran Pro
any bike I would buy has to cheap!

They are probably up there at the
top spot on bikes I would love to own~
This says alot about Turner bikes. Veteran Pros must have to buy their bikes and to pick a Turner over the others, or even to esteem a Turner out of all the others means good stuff.

right on

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
I think that this is the problem with this kind of bike. It is high quality, high $ but it is so limited in its use.

It will have the wrong geo for trail/AM riding, and it won't be built beefy enough to be a DJ'er.
Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about. I have a Turner slalom bike, and I use it for everything. I have had it for two years, and use it for my dirt jumping bike, slalom race bike, and I raise the seat and use it for xc (yes, with a chainguide, 32 tooth). Good racing geometry means it'll turn like mad, and handle well overall, and isn't that what we all want on trails too? Being made well means that it can get beat up for years and not have any problems.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Agreed. Slalom bikes are the hidden gems of the mountain bike world. Strong, fun geo, and multitalented. They can do more then you'd beleive, if you just break the frame of mind that pigeonholes a bike to its labelled use.

For example, my Cowan will be getting a Pike, DRS (if I can fit the bugger), Atlas cranks and making that thing my "do everything" bike.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yes I would agree with the statement that slalom bikes
are not just for slalom specifically. The turner burner should
give turner plenty of reason to remake something similar!

I think if you make it available in different sizes it'll be good
geometry for trail bikes and so forth.

Turner seemed to basically change their designs to kind of
leapfrog this style bike a few yrs. back?
the xc is a little too lightly built ... the 5-spot a little too much
travel. maybe the 5-spot shoud just become the 4 spot!
after all doesnt Turner make a 6 and 7 inch bike? In my opinion
they should do like a flux xc- a 4cross 4" bike and a 6/7" trail/FR bike
then a DH bike and that's the lineup. Sounds like that would hit
all the demands for riders and the 4" bike will sell for DS/4x and
all mountain etc.

J

J5ive

I like the rail. Looked mean. Ripped well. Make a light weight one of them

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
after all doesnt Turner make a 6 and 7 inch bike? In my opinion
they should do like a flux xc- a 4cross 4" bike and a 6/7" trail/FR bike
then a DH bike and that's the lineup. Sounds like that would hit
all the demands for riders and the 4" bike will sell for DS/4x and
all mountain etc.
what do you mean they dont make a free ride bike. the rfx is a 6'' inch travel bike and the high line wich is now i believe going to 7 3/4 travel or eight depending on what shock. the thread on mtbr yeah i know who that is. they started making on with a program and they wanted something that could be used a park bike. They were looking at the frame to be 4'' travel and around a 12-13 inch bb.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
uh thats what I was saying basically-
they make every travel bike but a 4"
is that necessary?
A 4" bike seems to be more logical as an all round bike!
I'm no "Freeride expert" but doesnt a 5-6-7 inch bikes seem
like alot of bikes to cover the same type riding?
In my opion something like 3+ travel xc racer, 4 inch 4x/All mountain
cut out one of the three 5-6 or 7 you can't be selling loads of all
those bikes surely! Keep a Dh racer and you got it covered
2 diff. travel options should cover hucking and
trail riding freeriding whatever the intended purpose.
Over 4 inches is just too much travel to be responsive, quick-
light, and a good cornerer, along with an efficient sprinter
needed to be a good DS bike - mustless a 26" BMX
I mean Mountain Cross Bike.
Theres another subject 4x should have rough and burly mt.
style courses that require full suspensions.
Right now thats why everyone smart rides hardtails
I have both and usually use the fully for DS and HT for MTX

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about. I have a Turner slalom bike, and I use it for everything. I have had it for two years, and use it for my dirt jumping bike, slalom race bike, and I raise the seat and use it for xc (yes, with a chainguide, 32 tooth). Good racing geometry means it'll turn like mad, and handle well overall, and isn't that what we all want on trails too? Being made well means that it can get beat up for years and not have any problems.
Apparently you are a d!ck with poor reading skills....

I never said that I would not ride a DS bike for other purposes.
What i did say, is that a DS frame is too specific for most people to spend that kind of $$ on. People already bitch that the 5 spot and rfx BBs are too low @ 13.5"(the opposite of what I personally believe) . This thing will most likely be ~12". Per Dave Turners own mouth, this bike will also be quite light and not up to being a daily jumper. Oh yea, it will only come in one size as well IIRC. Soo we have a quite short/small, very low bb, lightweight frame...as I said before, VERY SPECIFIC. I would love it, and you might too, but that does not mean that they will sell.

The original rail (not sure if that is what you have, or if you have some connection to turner to get a 4 bar DS bike, my guess is a rail, and if so, you are full of it about being able to XC that frame) was a total flop. While it is not a super light race bike, it is and was a better bet for the regular joe kid who wanted a bike to jump and race a little and just generally have fun on..It is truely a very fun bike. But in did not sell when it was new.
The funny thing is that now it is selling like hot cakes when ever they come up for sale..why??...because it is CHEAP. No one would pay $1500 for the rail but it sold well at $700.
As a reference, turner 4 bar bikes are $1800 - $2000 for MUCH larger production runs. I just dont think a lot of people are going to be willing to shell out $2000 for this specific of a bike, I just dont kinow anyone who pays retail AND that is THAT serious about 4X/DS racing..

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
uh thats what I was saying basically-
they make every travel bike but a 4"
is that necessary?
A 4" bike seems to be more logical as an all round bike!
I'm no "Freeride expert" but doesnt a 5-6-7 inch bikes seem
like alot of bikes to cover the same type riding?
In my opion something like 3+ travel xc racer, 4 inch 4x/All mountain
cut out one of the three 5-6 or 7 you can't be selling loads of all
those bikes surely! Keep a Dh racer and you got it covered
2 diff. travel options should cover hucking and
trail riding freeriding whatever the intended purpose.
Over 4 inches is just too much travel to be responsive, quick-
light, and a good cornerer, along with an efficient sprinter
needed to be a good DS bike - mustless a 26" BMX
I mean Mountain Cross Bike.
Theres another subject 4x should have rough and burly mt.
style courses that require full suspensions.
Right now thats why everyone smart rides hardtails
I have both and usually use the fully for DS and HT for MTX
While i do not personaly disagree with you, your opinions are definately comming from someone in the gravity racing world (I dont think i need to remind anyone that this part of MTB is one of the smallest parts). Turner sells FAR more 5 spots that any other frame they make. It truely is what Turner is known for in the overall MTB community.

Good or bad (bad in my opinion) the general public bicycle buyer equates travel AND light weight to quality and expense. 'They' are 40+ year old dudes with expendable income and ride single track and post pics of 1 foot jumps to their buddies. They want a 25 lb 6 inch travel XC-type bike to cushion their butts from the roots and water bars (check mtbr). Right or wrong, that is who spends the $$ and determines the direction of mtb.

The commonality of the current turner platform allows for some pretty cool 'franken turners' (I own a 5 pack for example). It seems like it would make a LOT more sense to offer a different rocker or rear for an existing frame (5 spot) that would lower it and bump it down to 3 - 4 inches of travel. In 10 minutes, you could swap the frame from (true) trail duty to DS set up for the weekend race.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Yes, you could swap out rocker arms to get some slightly different geometry with one of Turner's trail bikes, but it wouldn't be as good as a true 4X/slalom bike. I actually have one of the few remaining 4 bar slalom bikes, not a rail. This might clarify some stuff that people are throwing out there... The travel is at 3 inches, and will stay like that for production, more than that is usually unnecessary in slalom and 4X racing. The frame has much shorter chainstays than a 5 spot, 16.2 to be exact (production will be 1/10 of an inch shorter), and a longer top tube than a small 5 spot, about a 68/69 degree head angle. So it's shorter in the back end and longer in the front end so it's stable but still quick turning.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Yes, you could swap out rocker arms to get some slightly different geometry with one of Turner's trail bikes, but it wouldn't be as good as a true 4X/slalom bike. I actually have one of the few remaining 4 bar slalom bikes, not a rail. This might clarify some stuff that people are throwing out there... The travel is at 3 inches, and will stay like that for production, more than that is usually unnecessary in slalom and 4X racing. The frame has much shorter chainstays than a 5 spot, 16.2 to be exact (production will be 1/10 of an inch shorter), and a longer top tube than a small 5 spot, about a 68/69 degree head angle. So it's shorter in the back end and longer in the front end so it's stable but still quick turning.
I'm sure it will be a very nice bike but XC/All Mountain guys are not looking at bikes with that low BB's, they need higher ones b/c they want to be able to pedal every where. These people also generaly prefer more squish than 3-4" as they are more "comfy" and have less skills than us in this forum.
Another thing to consider is that many can't afford more than one MTB so they go with a 5" bike for XC races as well as weekend trips.

And NO, I will not dish out that kind of cash on a frame.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
The travel is at 3 inches, and will stay like that for production, more than that is usually unnecessary in slalom and 4X racing. The frame has much shorter chainstays than a 5 spot, 16.2 to be exact (production will be 1/10 of an inch shorter), and a longer top tube than a small 5 spot, about a 68/69 degree head angle. So it's shorter in the back end and longer in the front end so it's stable but still quick turning.
That sounds like a bike I wouldn't mind trying. Shorty short rear end is a must, and if 16.1" is the chainstay length they are after it's a great start. Now all we need are some badass courses to ride this type of bike on.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
if they make a bike that does everything, they will loose money because for every 3 bikes they sell you can just buy one instead.

and what ever happened to the rail. i was looking at buying one and when the time came for my 4x purchase they were gone. i ended up with a 4by wich is awsome. its more of a short travle tank than a trail bike.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Chri$tiaan had one and now has the ex.Bailey one!

Look.:

Turner would rename the proto 4X into the Rail.
07 still sees no production... only sponsored riders.

But then again 08 might see production frames being available finally...

Ooh i happen to own a Turner Rail proto (split top tube design).
For 4X a tad heavy but a excellent parkbike.

ex. EC as it came with Mongoose decals.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
that's probably my first choice for a slalom bike. Nice geometry on the ones I've ridden and SAPA brings the ruckus!

hey the swedish dudes on the board would probably get a kick out of knowing that sapa was originally electrolux, so santa cruz and turner are related to a company known for their kitchen appliances

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
My buddy is a Turner Factory rider. He gave tons of input on the current faux-Bar Turner 4X. I have ridden this bike & while it could be ridden XC, but is not ideal for it. The BB is way too low (about 12"), which means you clip rocks; the super short rear (16.2") & slack headangle (68 degrees) makes it pop up when climbing the steep hills; and its lightweight racing tubing is not designed for DJ or trail abuse. It is specifically a light racing machine.

That being said, if anyone is interested in buying John Kirckaldie's used polished frame from the 2006 season, contact me. I believe it is a large, and it will not be cheap. But if you are jonesing for one before next year, you can own a one of a kind Maxxis polished frame.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I always thought the rail would be a good slopestyle bike. I have actually spent some time on and jumped Steve Wentz's 4x bike. It's one of the most predictable and solid fs 4x bikes I've ridden. Despite it's minimalist look, it rides like a much burlier frame. He's also been riding it for a very long time without any cracks. He uses it as his all around bike for dirt jumping which during good weather means it gets ridden practically every day, and doesn't exactly go small on it either. Long story short, when Turner makes the 4x, I would, and probably will buy one.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The funny thing is I know like a dozen people in the whole state of Colorado who could actually utilize a slopestyle bike. Everyone buys them and uses them to ride trail.