Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Gordon really likes the 888 SL, but he has that thing dialed for himself.. and he's not too concerned with the bike being slightly unbalanced, as he usually likes to stay pinned through rocks and drift corners, and prefers not to drop ladders and boost doubles.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine fork, and I think if I spent time dialing pressure/compression/rebound for myself, I would like it a lot more... but, I've always liked the way coil forks feel, they're just much less finicky, and the whole air chamber pressure loss/leaking business isn't really my cup of tea. If you blow your damping cartridge on your coil fork while being 10 miles out on some DH run, you can still ride it out without much trouble.. if you're on air, forget it!

The only real advantage here is weight savings, which, being a big guy, really doesn't concern me too much. Look at J, rocking an 11 pound fork with a big grin on his face :)

what's the frame you're building up??? the suspense is killin me!
I'm going for the 888 SL since the 07s are so cheap on eBay, around $600 shipped if you make a "Best Offer".

I'm not going to tell who makes the frame, but I will say in the factory they speak French but it isn't in France. The frame was a left over 2007 that bought on Pinkbike. It will be making its debut at Webb soon enough or more appropriately on Mt. Wilson (hint hint).

What is the ETA on your R9?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
I'm going for the 888 SL since the 07s are so cheap on eBay, around $600 shipped if you make a "Best Offer".

I'm not going to tell who makes the frame, but I will say in the factory they speak French but it isn't in France. The frame was a left over 2007 that bought on Pinkbike. It will be making its debut at Webb soon enough or more appropriately on Mt. Wilson (hint hint).

What is the ETA on your R9?
I'll have the frame next weekend, and will slowly build it up over the next few months.

Good call on the 888, you can fetch them real cheap and I really think it'll serve you well. My "dislikes" of the fork are based purely on personal preference, and really have nothing to do with it not being a quality fork.

Now you have me puzzled about your new frame... is it an RMX? or perhaps a Shocker?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
I wish i could commit to the trip this early on.
Season opening falls on some really heavy deadline time for me at work, so I might be SOL.

We need to get a Mammoth trip together. Since so many of us have new bikes it is imperative we break them in the 'litter of Mammoth.

Opening weekend roll call:
Nagaredama

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I think I may have an inkling to what Nags is building.:busted:

Opening weekend roll call: (if projected date stays accurate)
Nagaredama
Abstrakt

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Planned Build

2007 Devinci Wilson large frame with DHX 3.0 (ROCO at some point)
2007 888 ATA SL
Magura Louise FR brakes
Azonic Outlaw Wheels
FSA Gravity Lite cranks (ISIS style)
SRAM X.7/X.9 shifting
Answer Protaper bar
Kenda Nevegals (might switch to UST Michelins or Hutchisons to keep the Francophone theme)

Hopefully it will weigh below 40 lbs

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
Planned Build

2007 Devinci Wilson large frame with DHX 3.0 (ROCO at some point)
2007 888 ATA SL
Magura Louise FR brakes
Azonic Outlaw Wheels
FSA Gravity Lite cranks (ISIS style)
SRAM X.7/X.9 shifting
Answer Protaper bar
Kenda Nevegals (might switch to UST Michelins or Hutchisons to keep the Francophone theme)

Hopefully it will weigh below 40 lbs
that's awesome Scott! Congrats!
A sub-40 lbs. DH/FR bike, with 8-9" of rear travel and a full length seat tube.. sounds pretty sweet.
What's the geo like on the 2007? Is it more DH long and slack, or more FR shorter and steeper? Have you test ridden one?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
that's awesome Scott! Congrats!
A sub-40 lbs. DH/FR bike, with 8-9" of rear travel and a full length seat tube.. sounds pretty sweet.
What's the geo like on the 2007? Is it more DH long and slack, or more FR shorter and steeper? Have you test ridden one?
It is def a DH bike. Head angle is 64 and wheelbase is 48 inches. BB height is around 14.5. Frame has either 7 or 8.5 inches of travel. It should be a handful on the switchbacks of Mt. Wilson but rip at Mammoth.

Never ridden one. The top tube is 24" and the seat tube angle is steep so the effective top tube should be nice and long.

Frame with shock weighs 10 lbs. About 5 pounds lighter than a Demo 9 or Glory!

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
nice... that's def. DH geo..
it's even slacker and longer than the R9! which is 65 deg. HA, 47.75 WB, 14.75 BB

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
My main concern is making switchbacks on Wilson with a 64 deg. HA. Might have to lower the travel in the rear and lower the fork a bit.

Who built your wheels for the ToP?
i got stupid lucky with those.. picked them up on Ebay for dirt cheap.. and they've been very solid so far. Originally the wheels were built by UniversalCycles.

Gordon has a wheel guy btw.. let me know if you need a custom build.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
i got stupid lucky with those.. picked them up on Ebay for dirt cheap.. and they've been very solid so far. Originally the wheels were built by UniversalCycles.

Gordon has a wheel guy btw.. let me know if you need a custom build.
I'll go with either Outlaws or Sun-Ringle ADD's. They are both super cheap on BroForm. My Yeti has Outlaws which have treated me pretty well. They come in ano grey too which should look pretty cool.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
cool new rig. i rode the first generation in whistler years ago and it ruled then. :thumb:
Which year Wilson did you ride? I know they made some changes in 05 or so.

Overall I'm stoked to get a new gravity bike. I've been on the AS-X for about 3 years and it treated me well but I'm excited to upgrade.

First day at Mt. Wilson.

On its way to Mammoth

Adios Yeti!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
nags, don't recall which year i rode it. it was the prototype year.

i'm down for the weekend. saturday may have me in the office, but that also may get canned. sunday could be good :)

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
i'm working and going to pick up the new frame on Sat.
DJ's on Sunday morning, since i'm officially sans big bike.
:)

RM guys did pretty well and I think everybody ended up hitting the podium for overall.

I finished this race in 2nd and 4th place overall. Racing is fun, but surely not as fun as trails. Not sure yet if I'm going to hit up the next series.
randy coming into the berm moto syle, killin it

Attachments

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
We got a group planning for that spot Sunday afternoonish depending on rain. Not sure how early you wanted to ride or how late you can stay out.