Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I've decided to skip SS so I can go to my kids' soccers games instead.

If anyone wants to pedal the Loop (aka the reason why this thread was created) let me know. I'll be pedaling by 11am. Yes it will be hot, yes you'll have to pedal for about 19 miles, man up and do a real ride.

Hopefully it stays hot and SS will be opening the following weekend.

Then again with some arm twisting I could be convinced to head to SS on Sat. W4S is a maybe and I haven't heard from anyone else. All the fun trails probably have been destroyed by now.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
i'm 50/50 because i don't want to drive all the way there and find all teh good trails gone, i can ride fireroads in santa monica. but, i'd go if that's the best thing going, i wouldn't mind shuttling webb or doing

Last edited:

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
i'm 50/50 because i don't want to drive all the way there and find all teh good trails gone, i can ride fireroads in santa monica. but, i'd go if that's the best thing going, i wouldn't mind shuttling webb or doing gspot or suicide either. or shuttling crestline....
I'm down for something ...keep me posted.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Not to break any hearts, but webb was closed last weekend due to the red flag conditions, not sure if it is opened back up yet. The residents had the PoPo out there, we rode on Friday with no problems, but saturday they were out there running people out.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
i'm 50/50 because i don't want to drive all the way there and find all teh good trails gone, i can ride fireroads in santa monica. but, i'd go if that's the best thing going, i wouldn't mind shuttling webb or doing gspot or suicide either. or shuttling crestline....
We'll be by the beach on Sunday.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've got the single speed HT or the big bike that i pedal anyway. josh and i haven't been out in a long time and are itchy to ride (j$ is out of town this week). any thoughts?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
i've got the single speed HT or the big bike that i pedal anyway. josh and i haven't been out in a long time and are itchy to ride (j$ is out of town this week). any thoughts?
i'm gonna pedal around Santa Monica mtns. sometime on Saturday
go up Sully, and then figure out what to do next depending on how i'm feeling

what you up for?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
i'm gonna pedal around Santa Monica mtns. sometime on Saturday
go up Sully, and then figure out what to do next depending on how i'm feeling

what you up for?
Let me know if you guys go early, like 9 or before. I've got plans Saturday but I'd be interested even if I only have time to go up and down the canyon.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Anyone hit Vail Lake over the weekend?
I didn't race nor did I practice, but was able to show up on Sunday as a spectator. Therefore, cant really comment on the course itself other than the mixed reviews that I heard, so I'll leave that for the guys that actually rode the course.

As a new venue and with all the hype the place has been getting, I was a bit disappointed with the turnout, both racers and spectators alike. I'm sure the distance and weather played a major role in Sundays head count. They somehow need to work on spectator accessibility. My lady and I got lost trying to find the course, and when we did get back on track, we found that it was a long tedious gradual up-hill hike. Not really kid/grandma/grandpa/stroller friendly like Fontana with the Cul-De-Sac.

The mountain itself was extremely reminiscent of Fontana as far as dirt and elevation, but Vail seemed to have much more land to work with. EC wasn't kidding when he said that place was in need of some major rain. Most of the corners that I saw were silt and just blown out sandpits, but made for a typical SRC course I guess.

I saw some of the jump line EC was in the process of building, and it looked more like a mini DS/4X rather than a high speed Livewire/A-Line type of deal. (Keep in mind that I only saw the bottom portion which was pretty flat, so take my words with a grain of salt).

All in all, i'm pretty stoked about the place. I know the place has a long way to go with some much help needed from more trail builders and Mother Earth, but I'm confident the place will soon be trip worthy for peeps outside of the OC.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
thanks for the update randy!

big ups to the kids who came out to pedal sully. man the 43lb big bike just can't handle all the start and stop on the way down when there are tons of peeps on the trail.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
You were there and you didn't say hi?! Hope you saw my bobble on the dustbowl.
Dude, I didn't see any guys out there from the SD crew so I figured you guys were no shows. But then again, I left right after the sport class mobbed down. The female was getting a bit bored of the lack of crashes and frankly, she was just over it. :disgust1:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Dude, I didn't see any guys out there from the SD crew so I figured you guys were no shows. But then again, I left right after the sport class mobbed down. The female was getting a bit bored of the lack of crashes and frankly, she was just over it. :disgust1:
you left too early. There was this kid, I think beginner 18 and under, that tried to hit the double... he knocked himself out for about 5 min. Kudos to him though, I chickened out and sprinted the go around. I was kicking it near the shuttle stop with the rest of the OC crew.