You have got to be kidding...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Unless it:
- Make virgin martinis that still cause the thongs to drop
- Can slice, dice, and julianne fries
- be ridden hard and put up wet for the entire time I own it without failure.
- give me a hand job
- get me a job
- convince my wife not to leave me
- cure cancer
- and give me a hand job

there is no possible way its worth that sort of coin.Though without fail I will see some bunch of rich ass racer boi kids with them strapped to their brand new M6's that won't fit them in a year.

This makes me hate everyone even more.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I lol'd now they are oficialy more expensive than any bos model. Just pay 500 euro less and get a Rare ;)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Unless it:
- Make virgin martinis that still cause the thongs to drop
- Can slice, dice, and julianne fries
- be ridden hard and put up wet for the entire time I own it without failure.
- give me a hand job
- get me a job
- convince my wife not to leave me
- cure cancer
- and give me a hand job

there is no possible way its worth that sort of coin.Though without fail I will see some bunch of rich ass racer boi kids with them strapped to their brand new M6's that won't fit them in a year.

This makes me hate everyone even more.

You said Handjob twice you horny bastard

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as long as people continue to pay ridiculous prices we'll have ridiculous priced items. maybe this will change now that california parents, suddenly poor, retract their funny money from funding junior's dh habit...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I don't understand all the hate on the new Dorado.

I am a hard core manipoo hater from poor personal experience and second hand issues from managing and working in shops for years. But I think the Dorado is going to be a great fork. Hell if I was in the market for a fork I think I would buy one, yeah I think it is worth it.

I'm sureif Sammy Hill was rocking one last season the hate would be very limited. I'm afraid to say it but I am sure the new boxxer is going to be a failure before the Dorado is.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It more of an issue of price vs. what you get. I mean a Boxxer isn't the be-all end-all of performance, but the Team is a pretty decently cheap fork that performs very, very well. This will cost 2-3 times what the Boxxer Team does, but is it really that much better?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
There is alot of engineering and tooling of the chassis on this "new" Dorado that IS from the previous 2005 Dorado. The internal TPC+ may be different, I do not know, but I find it hard that they can justify the price it is at when there are significant costs involved with this fork which are "soft costs" due to the fact that the tooling/fixturing/manufacturing processes had already existed and the engineering of the chassis had already been designed. Sure there may be some revisions, but a revision is much easier to optimize and cheaper then redesigning from the ground up.

Personally, I think the cost is crazy because of this. Maybe production is super limited which definitely will affect the bottom line cost, but I wouldn't spend that much more money just to get something that is a limited qty product.

BTW, I can't stand the sponsorship fluffing this thing is getting right now... It may be great, but really guys....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
BTW, I can't stand the sponsorship fluffing this thing is getting right now... It may be great, but really guys....
do you want them to say how bad the fork is? they get product and or money to talk good stuff about the fork. if i didnt buy a new frame, i would have bought the Dorado.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
do you want them to say how bad the fork is? they get product and or money to talk good stuff about the fork. if i didnt buy a new frame, i would have bought the Dorado.
Nope, just saying that I can't stand it. Some people may agree, others may disagree. It's just an opinion. Personally, I don't think there has been alot of useful info on how the fork really works like some writeups other users like Udi and Socket have posted.

4speed

Chimp
Mar 15, 2008
New Zealand
Maybe there trying to get there money back from producing those plastic gun cases:D,i have always liked the look of those forks,never tried them tho,wouldnt mind trying them,once the price drops, looking forward to the feed back on these.:popcorn:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
and what basis do you have for this claim?:disgust1:
Past issues with new products that were new. 2006 Boxxer pissing oil out of the floodgate adjuster. The boat load of issues with the Lyrik when it was released. All 2003 Boxxers were crap and needed the blackbox base valve and the compression rod drilled out.

Don't get me wrong guy, I'm a Boxxer rider I just don't like that the new stuff always has flaws. I have currently ride a boxxer and have owned 5 of them since 2003.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Past issues with new products that were new. 2006 Boxxer pissing oil out of the floodgate adjuster. The boat load of issues with the Lyrik when it was released. All 2003 Boxxers were crap and needed the blackbox base valve and the compression rod drilled out.

Don't get me wrong guy, I'm a Boxxer rider I just don't like that the new stuff always has flaws. I have currently ride a boxxer and have owned 5 of them since 2003.
That actualy happened to almost any fork/shock company. Early age flaws are normal but with time companies begin to design stuff more seriously. I don't know about forks but look at the development of the frames. Much less early mistakes are avoided due to good virtual and real prototyping. Also I'd rather pay 1/2 or less for a sth that will fail if we talk about failing.
Still Bos is cheaper and I'd get it 100% over the dorado.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Have you ever seen the inside of the BOS stuff? I got to see some stuff completely torn apart and I wasn't impressed at all. Design/manufacturing quality on the guts left a lot to be desired IMO. Although there is little debate that their stuff looks cool on the outside, I just didn't think it backed it up internally. Bad piston design, raw alu parts with no hard ano/coating, etc.

While there is little debating the cost of the new Dorado is high, it seems like a fair amount of people bitching about it are from Europe. Perhaps you guys haven't adjusted to the American dollar regaining some strength abroad yet.

FWIW, I am not sponsored by Manitou, but I do have a bit of time on the new Dorado. I really like lots of things about the fork. I reckon every one of you should get some time on it before you formulate an opinion on it, or its worth. But that makes way too much sense now, doesn't it?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
It comes with a CARRYING CASE guys. Problem solved, thread closed

edit: DELUXE CARRYING CASE, my bad

double edit: Detailed instructions on DVD for fork setup and tuning tips

triple edit: nvm, its flexy

Last edited:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA

I too had the same problems with my 03 race and I agree about new model products having problems sometimes. Point is making blanket statements about stuff that you have no experience with does not add anything intelligent to the discussion. (unless of course you are a blackbox rider who is helping develop the products?)

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
The seals needed changed because in wet weather ie The Uk.
They where terrible...
Mine filled with crap,but as soon as the seals where changed they where the best thing since sliced bread

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I reckon every one of you should get some time on it before you formulate an opinion on it, or its worth. But that makes way too much sense now, doesn't it?
now whats the fun in that? this is the internet...we're all about e-speculation.

Its like everyone forgot what it was like when the first dorado came out...
the first Dorado was a great performer IMO. my upper carbon portion of mine did have micro cracks in it after a few years though....and of course when i sent it in for repair, they just happen to have run out of the parts i needed 1 month prior.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Here's a little perspective:

$3500 (Price of Dorado)
-1800 (Price of 2010 Boxxer WC)
------
$1700

I just put a 9-day Whistler trip together for myself and 8 other guys. Average price of the trip including airfare, lift tickets, 9 nights in a luxury slope-side condo, transfers from YVR to the condo, etc. : ~$1600-$1700

So tell me this: would you rather have a fork that *might* be a little better, or a f*cking NINE DAY VACATION IN WHISTLER??

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Here's a little perspective:

$3500 (Price of Dorado)
-1800 (Price of 2010 Boxxer WC)
------
$1700

I just put a 9-day Whistler trip together for myself and 8 other guys. Average price of the trip including airfare, lift tickets, 9 nights in a luxury slope-side condo, transfers from YVR to the condo, etc. : ~$1600-$1700

So tell me this: would you rather have a fork that *might* be a little better, or a f*cking NINE DAY VACATION IN WHISTLER??
man dude you and your bike are gonna be so worked over after 9 days straight but you are gonna have sooooo much freakin fun! :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the first Dorado was a great performer IMO. my upper carbon portion of mine did have micro cracks in it after a few years though....and of course when i sent it in for repair, they just happen to have run out of the parts i needed 1 month prior.
The first dorado had a good damping system, but that's about it. Just over 8lbs with the integrated stem (a shiver was 8.7 with same). Poor lubrication, very small stanchions for an inverted fork, and so on. Most of those dorados self-destructed due to grease packing up and not "lubing" the stanchions. It took them a while to figure out that you probably need oil in there for the rigors of DHing/racing, then they finally came out with the "evil genius" seals, which still left a lot to be desired, then they totally screwed it up with SPV.

As far as suspension action when lubricated, yeah the TPC+ stuff was pretty good, although no real way to increase the progressiveness. Technically TPC+ is "progressive" damping, but it's only that the initial travel is very lightly damped, and then the regular stack takes over as the travel progresses, but it's not really designed to change that rate or ramp up a lot at the end. I think that's one of the things that the new dorado addresses (saw/handled a few last weekend). I ain't going to say anything about it though, because I didn't ride it.

Yeah, getting parts from manitou is always sketchy.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
this article doesnt mention anything bad besides a top-out....which ill admit isnt the best thing in the world
-Bad cable holder
-Having to raise your bars close to an inch to clear the tubes
-Multiple hits/high-speed hits "overwhelm" compression damping