Quantcast

You have got to be kidding...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
EC come see me at diablo, not sure exactly when ill be there due to races along the east coast but ill let you take a run on it and you tell me how it feels. you can straight up tell me it sucks or not. this goes out to anyone, if you see me on the mountain or in the pits hit me up and ill let you take it for a spin. i would like to get other peoples feedback on the fork.

dennis
I didn't say it sucks. I never rode one, so I don't have an opinion. I'm stating the fact that no fork is worth that much money.

I weigh 250lbs. Do you really want me on your fork? My point is, if you're a pro, this fork didn't make you one. Really. It's the first year re-producing it. You were a great rider before this fork. Right? If you or any other pro were racing on any other fork and being sponsored, it would automatically be the best fork you've ridden on. Correct? Some other fork made you a good rider, right? Not really. Pros can out ride the average weekend warrior if they were on an MGX.

I'll use Hill for an example. Obviously the Sunday won races with Hill on it. Now on SpecialEd, do you think Hill will bitch about the $10,000+ bike they custom made for him?

For someone like me who rides for fun on the weekends, this fork is a joke! Pro racers who are sponsored and don't have to dish out $3,800. Fine! But nobody should be dumb enough to think that this price can be justified because THIS fork is worth 2-3x as much and will make them a pro. EC

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I didn't say it sucks. I never rode one, so I don't have an opinion. I'm stating the fact that no fork is worth that much money.

I weigh 250lbs. Do you really want me on your fork? My point is, if you're a pro, this fork didn't make you one. Really. It's the first year re-producing it. You were a great rider before this fork. Right? If you or any other pro were racing on any other fork and being sponsored, it would automatically be the best fork you've ridden on. Correct? Some other fork made you a good rider, right? Not really. Pros can out ride the average weekend warrior if they were on an MGX.

I'll use Hill for an example. Obviously the Sunday won races with Hill on it. Now on SpecialEd, do you think Hill will bitch about the $10,000+ bike they custom made for him?

For someone like me who rides for fun on the weekends, this fork is a joke! Pro racers who are sponsored and don't have to dish out $3,800. Fine! But nobody should be dumb enough to think that this price can be justified because THIS fork is worth 2-3x as much and will make them a pro. EC
Technically the fork is worth that much if there is extremely low volume production. Do you think the factory that forges the crowns is asking for a piece price of $20 if they are only making say 100??? Heck no. The tooling and die for the forge likely cost over 10K to start, then there are all the other finishing operations that need to be done..

You also need to understand that we are all essentially on toys. We all throw disposable income away on these machines, and if someone wants to put that much $$$$ down on something, it's their right to do so. So it doesn't fit your requirements, that's cool.

It doesn't take a rocket scientists to recognize that this product is for marketing purposes. If there were only 100 or even 200 of these made, and they had redesigned the chassis using the high quantity manufacturing methods that are currently being used the fork would cost probably 4000K heck maybe even more. Hence why they are rehashing alot of the same parts from the previous 05 Dorado. If this fork was produced in qty like the fox 40 or Boxxer, this new Dorado probably would cost $1500. If I worked for Manitou, there would be no way in hell I would take that risk based on the previous track record Manitou had.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

to an extent you are right but i can say that this is the best fork i have ridin so far in my young race career. im not the fastest on the mountain but im working my way up to that point and the dorado will help me get there faster. like i said in my earlier post one of the top pros in the USA right now says he has way more confidence with it and can take better lines and just go overall faster with the fork and how it preforms.

also where are you getting this 3,800 price tag?

the dorado is not made for a weekend warrior with a kona stinky, this is a race fork and has race technology built into it. so there for you will only see the more serious riders/sponsored teams on them. i am proud to have a a group of talented riders on our team representing the dorado and our other sponsors.

Dennis

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I'm totally taking a ride on your fork this summer, dennis. Not the whole bike, just the fork. I'm going to stand on top of it like some sort of crazy unicyclist.

Also, everybody in this thread needs to calm down, for serious. Not that I really care that you're all getting over-anxious because, after all, it's JUST THE INTERNET, but seriously, what are people really arguing about here?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just curious, some of you mention that all the engineering of the outers was done with the old Dorados and only the internals are new. If this is true it would be cool! Get an old one for dirt cheap, replace the internals with the new stuff and have one awesome fork. Like a Boxxer Team-WC conversion! :lighten:

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
Just curious, some of you mention that all the engineering of the outers was done with the old Dorados and only the internals are new. If this is true it would be cool! Get an old one for dirt cheap, replace the internals with the new stuff and have one awesome fork. Like a Boxxer Team-WC conversion! :lighten:
Not true!

Dave

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Yeah thats a big negatory.

The stanchions are bigger and almost everything about the internals are different.

Trust me I had the same bright idea and asked the manitou guy at Sea Otter last year, but was disappointed with his response.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Technically the fork is worth that much if there is extremely low volume production. Do you think the factory that forges the crowns is asking for a piece price of $20 if they are only making say 100??? Heck no. The tooling and die for the forge likely cost over 10K to start, then there are all the other finishing operations that need to be done..

You also need to understand that we are all essentially on toys. We all throw disposable income away on these machines, and if someone wants to put that much $$$$ down on something, it's their right to do so. So it doesn't fit your requirements, that's cool.

It doesn't take a rocket scientists to recognize that this product is for marketing purposes. If there were only 100 or even 200 of these made, and they had redesigned the chassis using the high quantity manufacturing methods that are currently being used the fork would cost probably 4000K heck maybe even more. Hence why they are rehashing alot of the same parts from the previous 05 Dorado. If this fork was produced in qty like the fox 40 or Boxxer, this new Dorado probably would cost $1500. If I worked for Manitou, there would be no way in hell I would take that risk based on the previous track record Manitou had.
+1

if all of you are bitching about the price, then this fork obviously isnt marketed towards all of you e-whiners. yes it is a lot money, im plenty sure the Hayes group knows that. its a low production, high quality part that is geared for racers who are looking for a fork that is claimed to be one of the best out there. yes manitou had issues of prior, but the tech videos out there show this fork is tits and with the service contract, it should prove to be worth some of the money for the racer who puts a ton of miles on his rig.

i said it before, if i didnt buy a new frame this fork would be on my other DH bike.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.

The old dorados were I think 32mm, the new ones are 36 I beleive. so no, they are not the old parts.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Can they justify the massive leap in price? Probably not.
Do they care? Probably not. They are after all selling pretty well. 100 units were made and they are pretty much accounted for.
Really? I've seen a LOT of them on sponsored-riders bikes, even quite a few in person. If there's only 100 of them around, then they cost $3000 or whatever cause they're giving em out for free and making the customers pay for all the ones they're giving out.

My real point is, "selling well"?? Are they really selling or are we seeing all the sponsored riders?

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
If it were $1700 id be sold.

I have NORBA national champion, Cole Bangerts Team America Demo 8 with the nicest fox 40 ever, and I dont think anything could be smoother..... maybe a sleep number bed or temper pedic matress????

But seriously Ill buy a Dorado for $1700 or trade over my Fox. Im a lover and have been for the Dorado. I had an 03 which leaked.... but I took out all the oil and ran it dry and it worked fine except for harsh bottom outs.

Mr. Giant Rider at Fontana..wanna hook me up. I got something for you

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
303 are you talking to me? come see me this weekend at fontana the whole hayes manitou truck will be there. bring your check book and we will work something out. but im not givin up my dorado. sorry.

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
Yes,

ill be there. Haha Im reall interested in the fork, Ill give it a ride but if I can get on for a good price id get rid of my fox 40. '

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So all those armchair e-engineers lied! :disgust:
Nope, I never said you could swap out parts. One fork is larger than the other. But when you crib off the previous design of the chassis, it makes the design process loads easier. Factor in that manufacturing processes of parts has been verified in the previous iterations of the fork, and that manufacturing techniques can be updated and don't necessarily need to be completely overhauled; this could meen reworking forging dies, modifying CNC programs, etc.) It's all a massive savings.

I guess that I still feel that the fork is too expensive for myself to buy, but after thinking about it more I'm probably wrong in thinking that the price could be lower. If this fork is being made in such low quantities, then if Manitou did a complete redesign of the fork from the ground up, it would be significantly more than what they are currently asking.

However, I am very curious about the rumblings that they are working on a cheaper version Dorado. I see no reason why the current fork, if made in higher quantity, wouldn't have an MSRP approximately around that of the last 05 Manitou Dorado's. So with that said, I would hope that the more economical version would be competitive/cheaper with smaller companies that make lower quantity/higher cost manufacturing inverted forks like White Brothers and Avalanche. Who sell single damper inverted forks to the tune of ~$1200 and ~$1000 respectively.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if they are coming out with a more economical version what is it sacrificing? i mean its not like the current version has a ton of bells and whistles.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
The old dorados were I think 32mm, the new ones are 36 I beleive. so no, they are not the old parts.
the x-works had 36 i believe, but the chassis was heavy!!, no way ud get a 6lb fork by just dropping the springs and installing an air cart

edit: my bad, they were 32s

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
there are a few ways that i can see a cheaper dorado coming. 1 after this or even next year, they decide to up the production numbers and lower the cost. $2000 for the fork i can see as a posibility, while still expensice, i see that as being a fair price for what you get. they may also just keep going as they are now if they find it the venture profitable. If this is the case i can see them removing some of the unique features of the fork and moving some of the production over seas to lower the price. if they could keep the overal structure of the fork and many of the same internals and adjustablity but loose perhaps say the hex axle and other little things it is completely possible for them to create something in the $1500is range.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
New CF layup, new seal seats, new hollow crowns, new dropouts and brake mounts.

It's the same basic format, but it's essentially a new fork chassis and unquestionably a whole new production line. I'd say they have no more of a headstart than rockshox did with the new boxxer chassis, maybe even less because while stanchion diameter remained, they have a new production line.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
It's the Bugatti Veyron of Downhill forks, it is technically amazing and could very well be the best fork available but it is completely irrelevant to 99.999% of downhilers in the world.

I would be expecting a cheaper version in the near future, possibly coil sprung without the case and free services etc and produced in larger numbers. Should bring the price at least close to something realistic.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
For me it boils down to how much technology does a fork really need in order to perform any better? I think far less money could be spent on enhancing the performance of your existing forks. Things like stiction reducing additives, polished bushings, valving changes etc will all make your own forks perform better for a fraction of the Dorado's price point.

It reminds me of all the toothbrush "advancements" we keep seeing on tv. At the end of the day do any of the changes really make any measurable difference? Likely not but if it's new and costs more money we somehow feel it will do a better job.