Quantcast

You have to be effing KIDDING ME.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Now that planes are full and they charge you to check bags it is a mad rush to find open overhead space.
Yep, plus the ass jockeys that think their giant, 86 lb. suitcase should go sideways in the overhead bin, taking up the space of 2-3 regular carry-ons, while the flight attendants ignore what's happening.

I took great satisfaction on the one flight where there was a luggage nazi flight attendant on board. This guy was going through, pulling out oversized crap, turning everyone's bag the long-way, anyone that didn't fit got checked... it was great. There was plenty of space for everyone that brought on normal sized luggage.

just make sure you pick a seat towards the back of the plane since they board them first.
Not all airlines do that. Sometimes you get priority if you check in early. Some board front to back. Some apparently use a little old lady who reads tea leaves...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Apparently QANTAS do that as well so it may be One World thing, though I'm flying Cathay in December and they don't do crap like that. I flew Singapore last week for the first time in 3 years, still the kings, I actually sent feedback to their website to tell them how great they were. Plus you get to go through Changi which almost qualifies as a nice place to be. If your transit is over 5 hours you can go on a free bus tour through Singapore which was nice.

MTB_Mallorca

Chimp
Jul 22, 2011
Cala Millor
How much do they charge you in the UK or the States to take a bike?

It's so darn stupid here (Mallorca), too. It used to be 25 Euros, but now they increased the price to 100 Euros (over night!) without even telling their passengers.

*rant* And 1kg of excess luggage is 15 Euros now!! 1 kg! I can pee 1 kg if I like and still no one'll give me a discount of 15 Euros if I do so before getting on the plane, will they...?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
American is the absolute worst. They finished off an irredeemably awful couple of flights by delivering our bags to us at three-thirty am after losing them a few days earlier.

I normally fly United. I don't love them, but Denver is a hub so I can fly them pretty much anywhere, and I can keep all my miles in one frequent flyer program. They also tend to have lower prices than Southwest; probably because of the hub.

I really wish that foreign carriers would be allowed to do domestic flights. That might shape things up a bit.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think what was frustrating was one airline with a special reserve section of coach seats.

I understand people who pay the upgrade fee should have priority, but when the plane takes off, no one is going to know.

I was told to stay seated in the back of the plane, not sit in one of the empty rows unless I wanted to pay the inflight $50 upgrade. I never flew on that airline again.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Not selecting a seat and showing up early to check in with a pleasant (forced) smile usually works out OK.

And charging for baggage based on weight still doesn't make any sense. Airlines: "it's because it costs more in fuel." So does flying fat people, but you don't charge them more or make them take less!

Oftentimes I can't believe that I actually used to really enjoy flying. Nobody gets molested or naked scanned getting on a TGV. Why is the process of getting on an airborne metal tube so radically different?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I hate the add-on fees and would gladly pay extra on the ticket to not get pillaged with nickle-and-dime crap on the other side. At least then, when I price it out, I know what the cost is.

In this case, it happened to be a somewhat last minute flight so there were virtually no reasonable flight options, and certainly none that didn't cost a hundred dollars or more extra.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/jetz/index.html

In all seriousness though, you guys need to fly as much as I do before you can complain about the airlines. :rant:

There's some really good ones (generally) and some really ****house ones. People like to complain, but a few really aren't that bad.

I still can't wait until they sell baggage based on weight WITH passenger. My 140lbs and 60lb ogio bag sure as hell weight less than Mr. 320lb american fat ass and his carry on only.

Last edited:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I cancelled my trip to Boise on SW at the beginning of the month and just rescheduled it. It was a $40 each way ticket the first time, for a total of $101 after taxes/fees (RT)--not bad!! Just reschedule for $35 each way :-)shocked::weee:) for a total of $112.50 RT. STILL not bad. But they DO getcha with those dmn taxes and fees!

Because they were so cheap though, I convinced 6 of my friends to fly with me and have a shred fest in the mountains over there for 5 days with our other friends who live there! Sweeeeet! :weee::weee:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What kind of plane is it?
Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I don't know how Jet Blue does it. They have the most leg room, leather seats, 40 channels of Direct TV and 100 channels of XM at each seat, lots of non-stop flights out of Boston, unlimited drinks and snacks, and are consistentanly the lowest price. On my trip to DC on Monday I paid the $15 for an exit row. I got to board first and could streatch my legs fully and only just touched my bag under the seat in front of me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i always book aisle seats and board last.

check one bag....laptop fits under the seat.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't know how Jet Blue does it. They have the most leg room, leather seats, 40 channels of Direct TV and 100 channels of XM at each seat, lots of non-stop flights out of Boston, unlimited drinks and snacks, and are consistentanly the lowest price. On my trip to DC on Monday I paid the $15 for an exit row. I got to board first and could streatch my legs fully and only just touched my bag under the seat in front of me.
Their airplanes and employees are new, at least compared to "legacy" airlines, that keeps their costs (relatively) low. If they still exist in 15 years we'll be having this same discussion except the roles will be reversed. "Jet Blue sucks but _ _ _ _ _ is so much better and cheaper!"

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just bought 4 one way tickets on SW and will be buying 2 more shortly.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is how to travel folks. :thumb:
Unfortunately, depending on the amount of camera gear I have it may or may not fit under the seat and there's no freakin' way I'm trusting that stuff to the neanderthals that handle the bags. On our trip to Peru, they managed to smash a bag so completely and repeatedly that the double wrapped bug spray container shattered, then punched through both of its protective layers and spilled all over the inside of the bag.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Unfortunately, depending on the amount of camera gear I have it may or may not fit under the seat and there's no freakin' way I'm trusting that stuff to the neanderthals that handle the bags. On our trip to Peru, they managed to smash a bag so completely and repeatedly that the double wrapped bug spray container shattered, then punched through both of its protective layers and spilled all over the inside of the bag.
Where the hell are you going that you need to carry more camera gear on than I do? I carry my bag on for every trip. It has 3 pro bodies, 6 lenses (including my 300 2.8), 3 flashes, 5 pocket wizards, cables, batteries etc. It fits either under the seat or in the overhead of 99% of commercial wide and narrow bodies. Including with a tripod attached at times. If i fly a regional jet, i sometimes have to ramp check it, or have it put in the FAs closet.

You should be fine.

Worst case, get yourself one of the smaller pelis, slip your camera bag into it and check it. If they can destroy gear in a peli, they deserve an award. Most professional wire service photojournalists, particularly sports ones, travel this way.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It fits either under the seat or in the overhead of 99% of commercial wide and narrow bodies.
It always fits in the overhead, I was responding to stevew/pesqueeb's comment that a small carry on that fits under the seat in front of you is the way to travel.

I could probably pack a camera bag only that fits under the seat in front of me but I usually just carry everything on in one bag and store it in the overhead.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It always fits in the overhead, I was responding to stevew/pesqueeb's comment that a small carry on that fits under the seat in front of you is the way to travel.

I could probably pack a camera bag only that fits under the seat in front of me but I usually just carry everything on in one bag and store it in the overhead.
Even with my massive bag of all things camera, i can usually wedge it under the seat in front of me If I have to. On a few regional jets the damn overhead is so small it barely fits my laptop, but my camera bag fits under the seat with a bit of work.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Their airplanes and employees are new, at least compared to "legacy" airlines, that keeps their costs (relatively) low. If they still exist in 15 years we'll be having this same discussion except the roles will be reversed. "Jet Blue sucks but _ _ _ _ _ is so much better and cheaper!"
Sigh.... I miss Jetblue. The closest they fly to out here is Chicago, and I'm not quite ready to make the 2.5-3 hour drive just to fly them. When I was in NY, we flew them every chance we got, and they were by far the best (domestic) airline I've flown.

Now we drive if we're going home (17 hour drive) for the holidays, F**K the airlines. Nothing like being scheduled to fly out on the day before Thanksgiving (or Christmas Eve) and having to worry about getting stranded for the weekend because of "mechanical difficulties". Between possible delays on the first leg and then the airline not holding the connection, there's just *way* too much bullsh!t with airlines these days.

So BV, would the airline not even allow you to pick two seats together for free (if one of them was an aisle or window)? God, I'm adding American Airlines to the list of companies that I will never, EVER fly again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sigh.... I miss Jetblue. The closest they fly to out here is Chicago, and I'm not quite ready to make the 2.5-3 hour drive just to fly them. When I was in NY, we flew them every chance we got, and they were by far the best (domestic) airline I've flown.

Now we drive if we're going home (17 hour drive) for the holidays, F**K the airlines. Nothing like being scheduled to fly out on the day before Thanksgiving (or Christmas Eve) and having to worry about getting stranded for the weekend because of "mechanical difficulties". Between possible delays on the first leg and then the airline not holding the connection, there's just *way* too much bullsh!t with airlines these days.

So BV, would the airline not even allow you to pick two seats together for free (if one of them was an aisle or window)? God, I'm adding American Airlines to the list of companies that I will never, EVER fly again.
I believe they are supposed to if you are travelling on the same PNR.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jenn is flying alone so I don't know if that would have changed had it been two people flying together.

We're driving the 14 hours home for the holidays as well. At least then we control the times and whether we are delayed or not.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Even with my massive bag of all things camera, i can usually wedge it under the seat in front of me If I have to. On a few regional jets the damn overhead is so small it barely fits my laptop, but my camera bag fits under the seat with a bit of work.
But you're a dwarf, you don't need much leg room. BV is not and needs it.

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA

^^^ This

I elected to drive instead of fly to Denver from San Diego a few months ago and the drive was amazing. Cost was about the same as flying if not cheaper, just took way longer. But the scenery and experience were well worth it :thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
For the mutha effin Win! I fly only SW if possible and they are great. As a rapid rewards member too they even care about your experience. I got a call once about a flight I was on that had an obnoxious passenger. I didn't even complain but like three days after the flight SW called me to offer me a roundtrip ticket to anywhere in the US for my "troubles". And guess what? no bag fees, no seating fees, no nothin. I see why they are profitable; people actually want to fly them.
I love SW, simple, basic airlines, and their Air Waiter & Waitress' are way funny most of the time. I try to go First class when I fly SW and go for the middle emergency exit. We're talking total leg room baby and an extra bag of peanuts & pretzels!!!!! :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I love SW, simple, basic airlines, and their Air Waiter & Waitress' are way funny most of the time. I try to go First class when I fly SW and go for the middle emergency exit. We're talking total leg room baby and an extra bag of peanuts & pretzels!!!!! :thumb:
BTW, 1st Class on SW is simply boarding in the first group for a $10 upgrade. Maybe it is no different than than BV's $20 seat/aisle selection, but it does require some user-headspace.

I spaced at the airport and ended up boarding last. Seemed ok to me that I was an idiot.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I really don't like SW. They don't have that many non stop flights and I hate how they make you stand in their stupid line for boarding and make you fight for a seat. Plus, if you don't book months in advance they are crazy expensive. The only thing SW has over JB is their flight attendants are funnier.