Quantcast

Your favorite really obscure metal band.

Hey Jim!

Not too shabby, cold. I broke my wrist at Platty in August and am still recovering. Cast for 3 months, surgery then cast for 10 weeks. Can't even start rehab yet. Waiting for CT scan results.

I'll be back, though with the other douchebags from Buffalo.

How's the new kid? Getting sleep?

I just went to a Sick of it All/ Madball show a couple weeks ago...spreading the hardcore reality...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Man, there was a time in NY that if you called the CRO MAGS metal, you'd have your ass kicked by some huge skin named Billy Psycho (of the band of course named the Psychos). Fast forward 1 year, and I saw them at the rock club in Brooklyn called L'mours...they wanted to be metal in the worst way - fog machine, feet up on the monitors Iron Maiden style, Harley Flanigan (bass player) wearing a scarf with a fan blowing on him...it was hilarious!
Their first demo though. (around 85-86?) Fvcking ace.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Atn. East Coast guys: The Warped Weeble Wobbles. Hard to classify. Harder to forget if you saw them. Pal'ed around a lot with VOD.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There needs to be a heavy/death metal band called kittens.

At least I could take them seriously.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Their first demo though. (around 85-86?) Fvcking ace.
DISCLAIMER: this is all NYHC, no metal, unfortunately.

Yeah, the demo was good, I think it was bootlegged onto a 10" record at some time.

pterodactyl: Gettin' a good amount of sleep and I am glad that you are still supporting the Sick Of It All retirement fund. On a similiar note, I am riding next weekend with a friend who used to be in WARZONE - "Yo, whes' alll the WARZONE women at?" - amazing quote...

BACK TO THE METAL! Check out my friend Nate's blog on obscure metal (downloads available!):

http://truepunkmetal.blogspot.com

(and H8R, he has a copy of your 1st band's demo - what was the name of it again...was in the MRR pictorial zine "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What am I doing in the Pit?")

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Man, there was a time in NY that if you called the CRO MAGS metal, you'd have your ass kicked by some huge skin named Billy Psycho (of the band of course named the Psychos). Fast forward 1 year, and I saw them at the rock club in Brooklyn called L'mours...they wanted to be metal in the worst way - fog machine, feet up on the monitors Iron Maiden style, Harley Flanigan (bass player) wearing a scarf with a fan blowing on him...it was hilarious!
Really!? I never really followed their "scene". I was more of your typical "long haired thrash-metal type guy" and stuck to those type of bands, but liked some of their tunes (what I heard at least).

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
how about crowbar?
That band sucked hairy ones. I saw them open for Pantera in SF when I was 18. I lost my voice yelling at them to get the phuq off stage.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I saw them open for Pantera in SF when I was 18. I lost my voice yelling at them to get the phuq off stage.
You were just doing what every person in the crowd did at every Pantera show to every opening band.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We opened for Pantera and had people literally threatening to kill us after the gig.

I think out of dozens of shows with we garnered maybe 2 fans.

:rofl:

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
how about crowbar?
That band sucked hairy ones. I saw them open for Pantera in SF when I was 18. I lost my voice yelling at them to get the phuq off stage.
Agreed. I used to live in New Orleans and always hated Crowbar. Them getting that opening slot with Pantera had more to do with their lead singer Kirk being friends with Phil Anselmo than any real musical talent.

That said, he is has a new band called Kingdom of Sorrow with the lead singer from Hatebreed that I'm hoping will be pretty good. I've only heard a few things on their myspace page so far.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
how about crowbar?
I have some of their stuff and like what I have. The albums (that I own) sound ok (I really liked the groove in a few of the songs) but...I watched some of their live stuff on YouTube and ....well....it didn't sound too hot (see the link I posted above)

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Hey H8R,

Did you guys ever play with a band called Fallon from Chico? They played (still play?) the bay area pretty regularly if I remember right....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Doesn't ring a bell.
I was just curious. I always thought that they were really good live (they opened for some decent acts - Testament, At the Gates, etc.) but I didn't think the albulm that they put out did them justice. The youtube I saw didn't sound great either (poor quality). Was one of those local bands that you think "would make it". REALLY good live IMO though...

Anyways, was just wonderin'....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I used to love them. Was just watching some of their old videos on youtube a couple weeks ago.

How about Loudness.
LOL!!!

We opened for them at the Empire Rock Club in North East Philly!!!! They couldn't be more Welsh if they tried!

OK, on the Loudness front, here's one...

E.Z.O.

Burton_350z

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
That said, he is has a new band called Kingdom of Sorrow with the lead singer from Hatebreed that I'm hoping will be pretty good. I've only heard a few things on their myspace page so far.
Listened to a few of their songs on their myspace.. Sounds pretty good. Def. some good music to ride to:rimshot:

Dave

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Is Dead Horse obscure? I am not into metal so I don't know. They are pretty cool.

POKE OUT YOUR EYE WITH A MICROWAVE FRENCH FRY!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
a few enduring favorites:

anaal nathrakh - codex necro. raw industrialized black metal. fun!

pig destroyer - prowler in the yard. a perfect grind album.

darkthrone - sardonic wrath. - fun, unpretentious black n roll.

dodheimsgard - 666 international. hard to classify, but a cool listen:

emperor - anthems... classic:

nasum human 2.0. solid rocking grind:

thorns - industrialized norwegian bm:

genghis tron - dead mountain mouth. geek-grind? neat stuff:

sunn 0))) - black one. is it metal? not sure, but heavy as fvck

ugh. too many to list, must do work now.