Quantcast

Your most disappointing bike related purchase, what was it?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Every fucking shitty thing E13 ever made.
The remote for their dropper I have on one bike needed 3 different tools to mount it and attach the cable and was also shite once you have it in place. I swapped it to a OneUp remote after a while.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Strangely I have the original Hope Mini's on my old Chuck FS bike, other then having to bleed them a few times no real issues. The old Atomic DH pedals how ever used to be held on by a retainer clip which would come off resulting in the pedal separating from the axel.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The remote for their dropper I have on one bike needed 3 different tools to mount it and attach the cable and was also shite once you have it in place. I swapped it to a OneUp remote after a while.
They're total dicks. if they decide to make a product it's like they actually go out of their way to redesign said product pointlessly over complicating it it in almost every way and then produce it with shitty materials.
do the decent thing E13 and just fuck off!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Two SRAM GX cassettes whose tiny little rivets like to let go and let cogs break in half. I don't expect a cassette to be super light, or maybe even have the crispest shifting at that price point but it shouldn't be a time bomb.
If its the Sd driver cassettes, they aren't cheap so it should be a complaint.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Most disappointing for me is this old Truvativ chain guide that I purchased in the mid or late 2000's. It was a giant block of plastic and for being called a chain guide, it didn't do a very good job of doing any guiding.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've had four of the GX 1150, 11 speed cassettes with no issues.

Clearly @Westy just has the power of Chris Hoy compared to my weakling output.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
i have a reverb and 2 joplins.
I'm on my second one, went from an external 125mm A2 to an internal 150mm B2. Both purchased second hand. Rebuilt the first one after three years because it started to sag, and now after three years on the B2 it's time to overhaul it.

EDIT: On the regret purchasing matter, a SunTour made Marz 44 TST2. Shitty damper, shitty seals, discolored stanchions happened less than a year after purchasing it brand new, even when frequent rebuilds (it had a tendency to get sticky as fuck if some water/mud went past the seals, which happened way too often). It was a god-damned bargain, otherwise I'd happily set it on fire.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm on my second one, went from an external 125mm A2 to an internal 150mm B2. Both purchased second hand. Rebuilt the first one after three years because it started to sag, and now after three years on the B2 it's time to overhaul it.
none of those droppers are currently on a bike. the reverb needs a rebuilt, which i just haven't bothered with yet. i decided it was easier to drill my carbon scott to run internal routing than rebuild the externally routed reverb

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Marzocchi JrT 2002: 7" travel, QR dropouts, tiny stanchions, narrow crown, shitty damper. That's all I could afford at the time, but it was a truly horrible product that should have never been commercialized. I upgraded to a 2003 Sherman Slider after a miserable season on the Marzo.

Avid mechanical brakes: MTBR was filled with raving comments about how these brakes were wonderful, perfectly fine for DH and would make hydraulic brakes obsolete. Bunch of fucking trail-riding wankers pretending to ride DH. The braking power was far from being comparable to real hydro brakes and the red pad adjuster knobs were melting on the caliper. Again, that's all I could afford at the time and I was forced to upgrade to Hayes Mag ASAP.

RooX Torque Bar with the ergonomic (lol) bend for your hands. The only thing this bend was good for is preventing you to use lock-on grips. Another shit idea from the early 00's.
Pretty much ditto on those first two.

Same reason for that 2002 Jr T. I don't think the flex was "that bad" with the bolt-on QR, but the sum of all the parts, the QR, the 30mm stanchions, the junk damper...it was just horrid.

On the Avids, yeah, lots of people raved and I thought they'd be an acceptable low-cost option. I started glazing pads quick, the pads would only last a couple months, the rotors would bake, I eventally upgraded to max size (at the time) but even still they were junky as hell, the pad adjusters would actually back out on really rough stuff (AZ stuff) and added to the fact that you had to self-adjust the brakes for wear, it was pretty frightening to use these on any real significant terrain, glazing, pad adjuster backed out, just burned up pad, etc. My conclusion was they weren't really intended for that level of riding/abuse. The pads seemed ultra-grippy, which probably led to the raves of the people riding on less intense terrain, but also led to the massive overheating issues I experienced.

They've kind of seen a second life with some fat-bikers making the same preaches and yes, the shimano and mineral oil brakes absolutely suck in the cold (recently converted my other winter bike over to DOT brakes, so both are now), but I run the Hopes on two bikes and they work "the same" or pretty much the same as in the warm weather down to whatever temps I ride in...like -35F. They aren't some magical bullet and the exposed mechanisms can freeze up if water splashes on them. Same thing, over-hyped.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Speaking of Avid, the Transition TR450 I had came with their Elixir CR brakes. Jesus, what a pain in the balls to bleed and they had stupid plastic sleeves on them that would brake. Was always afraid to turn the contact adjustment on them, it felt like they were going to fall apart.

But did anyone use the Avid Arch Rival rim brakes? I liked those...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I was one of the lucky ones with a Reverb. Got a very early production one (from the US, they were not available in Canuckistan yet) It was flawless until it died just over a year ago. Really should get a rebuild kit...

As for crap.

I will second Nevegal's, they had two major two problems, keeping traction, and keeping air.
I was also never a fan of the DHX5-Air, I swear it was made by a dude who loved hammocks and had no concept of keeping adjustments as independent as possible.
And let's not even mention elastomer forks.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
For me it's a toss up between Shimano XT Di2 (Or DiDON'TDOIT as I call it) and marshguard FCK tire inserts.

The Di2 I think is fine for road bikes but nowhere near durable enough for anything dirt oriented...... it failed over and over, multiple faulty components.

The FCK? Oh Marshy what did we do to make you hate us so much as to inflict this abomination on us??
too soft to stop any impact at all, absorbs ALL the stans fluid leaving nothing to handle punctures, and then filled with stans it would become even softer and literally fall apart.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Another product worth mentioning in this thread: The 2013 Fox 34 Float Factory fork.

Fox really screwed up the damper tune and their top-of-the-line 34 fork felt like complete garbage out of the box. They quickly realized they messed up on this one, but decided that their customers should pay more money to fix the damper if they wanted to get the performances that should be expected for a fork of that level. At this point, I felt I gave enough money to Fox and I preferred sending my fork to PUSH for their top damper upgrade. The performance and adjustability of this Push damper is amazing but it seems it requires a dedicated PUSH tools to service the damper, which my mechanic doesn't have. That kind of sucks.

It's been 8 years and I'm still mad at Fox. I am very happy with my current Lyrik and I don't see myself buying a Fox fork anytime soon.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Plenty over the last two decades, but as far as recent ones:

- SRAM brakes. Just dumb, cheap and janky as hell.
- SRAM cranks. 55 N-m to install...200+ N-m to remove. What a joke.
- V1 Transition Sentinel. A bike I was truly excited to own/ride. Heavy frame, aggressive geo, and 140mm rear suspension that rode like ass and couldn't keep up with how aggressive the rest of the bike was. Bottomed super easy no matter the shock/setting and bounced everywhere. V2 much improved.
- Fox Grip2 VVC dampers. A radical new compression valve. A major departure from a traditional shimmed system. Doesn't actually do anything....
- Specialized "yokes" that like to snap shocks.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
- V1 Transition Sentinel. A bike I was truly excited to own/ride. Heavy frame, aggressive geo, and 140mm rear suspension that rode like ass and couldn't keep up with how aggressive the rest of the bike was. Bottomed super easy no matter the shock/setting and bounced everywhere. V2 much improved.
Owned one of those also. The geo was so fun, but holy shit 9% progression on a bike that wanted to haul was awful. And the DPX2 sucked balls too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is a good one. Had a set on a road bike and they were absolute shit. God forbid they got even the slightest bit damp too.
BB7s? They require quality cables and housing and, if you use them with road brake/shift levers, you cannot use the MTB version (different leverage ratio).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
so did @bullcrew. i think where you went wrong is that you opened to the public.
I'm glad I did I like mine and building my vaccum oil system now.

Purchase I regretted would be attempting to try THE rims back on the day all 4 pounds per rim...lol or anything Kenda ..

Oh and a special mention to rhyonolite rims and magura hs33 hydraulic rim brakes and bubbling sidewalls ..that wasn't too cool either

20211222_114826.jpg
20211222_114934.jpg
20211222_114952.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BB7s? They require quality cables and housing and, if you use them with road brake/shift levers, you cannot use the MTB version (different leverage ratio).
there's a small CX company Gevenalle (were called retroshift when I bought mine) that made a set of STI style levers that had the longer throw needed to run the MTB version of BB7s (which is the config i have). it's a front mount index shift, not the full blown shimano STI type.

edit: just checked their website, they still offer them in long throw versions.

Last edited: