Quantcast

Your most disappointing bike related purchase, what was it?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Maxxis' warped casing phenomenon is extremely rare on their 26" tyres. Fairly well documented on 27.5 and far far more common on their 29" tyres.

It's just karma you sell outs!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I just remembered my earliest Chi-chi disappointment. In like ‘91 or ‘92 I bought replacement Ti stanchions for my Mag ‘20. OMG, you could make the front wheel go back and forth by a few inches with your front brake on. Truly scary. I got over that one after one race.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just remembered my earliest Chi-chi disappointment. In like ‘91 or ‘92 I bought replacement Ti stanchions for my Mag ‘20. OMG, you could make the front wheel go back and forth by a few inches with your front brake on. Truly scary. I got over that one after one race.

I had a White Brothers SC70 that would do the same thing. When the brakes were wet you could get them to stutter and you could see the wheel vibrate back and forth a few inches. Also had pneumatic damping. By todays standards a flaming turd but honestly for the time it was one of the better forks out there.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I had a White Brothers SC70 that would do the same thing. When the brakes were wet you could get them to stutter and you could see the wheel vibrate back and forth a few inches. Also had pneumatic damping. By todays standards a flaming turd but honestly for the time it was one of the better forks out there.
I saw a friend snap the crown off a RST Space DJ after "hucking" to flat from a 3 ft drop.

Needless to say, it wasn't the only thing he snapped off. A couple teeth were laying on the street, side by side with his front wheel/half fork.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I saw a friend snap the crown off a RST Space DJ after "hucking" to flat from a 3 ft drop.

Needless to say, it wasn't the only thing he snapped off. A couple teeth were laying on the street, side by side with his front wheel/half fork.
A dude I used to ride with had the stanchion come out of his RST fork as he went off a drop, he was riding on his own and had to drive to get some surgery on his face afterwards.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Yellow Macaw tyres circa 1996. They looked awesome but side knobs started to tear off after a few rides. Can't quite put my finger on why the 14 year old me was drawn to these particular tyres..
image_2021-12-25_172022.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yellow Macaw tyres circa 1996. They looked awesome but side knobs started to tear off after a few rides. Can't quite put my finger on why the 14 year old me was drawn to these particular tyres..
Because you wanted to go color matchy-match with your bikini? :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Too much Gustav.

Actually my Magura MT6 brakes would have been close to the worst bike related purchase, they were properly dangerous, and really expensive.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Custom HT with an overdue delivery time and a BB an inch lower than the very low spec I requested...unrideabru. Too bad, as I had it made with near-2018 geometry and 29"/1x back in 2009ish. And amazing finish work.

SPV Manitou Everything. Luckily easily replaceable with TPC+ which Manitou warranty was eager to do when I asked.

Shimano brakes. Absolutely wonderful till they failed to work.

And contrary to my own early rosy opinions, both Box and Advent drivetrains can suck my left one.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Custom HT with an overdue delivery time and a BB an inch lower than the very low spec I requested...unrideabru. Too bad, as I had it made with near-2018 geometry and 29"/1x back in 2009ish. And amazing finish work.
What sort of geo, AM, XC, will it fit 36" wheels?

MT6 calipers are a great match for Shimano levers. Still the best feeling brakes of the many I've tried.
Really? Mine would get so hot in one fairly short stop that they'd be useless for a couple of minutes, that's why I'm still so surprised that the MT5s are awesome, oh and the Louise and Julie brakes that also sucked. I will say that the Louises had the best modulation of any brake I have had, but I did have to add Goodridge braided hoses as the standard stuff gave little feel.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I can't remember the name of them, but it was some Continental tires with the "Spider web" knob shape. The carcass was well and truly shit. (A trait that seems to carry on to this day). I couldn't go a ride without at least two flats. It's what made me an early adopter of tubeless.

More recently, Chromag rims - they were supposed to be tougher than Stan's, but somehow they just kept losing tension, denting, couldn't keep a tubeless seal. Also their knee pads. They seemed to fit in the store when I tried them on, but the top elastic would still would roll down, and they would jiggle down my leg in rough terrain. I think I bought into the hype a bit too much.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Also their knee pads. They seemed to fit in the store when I tried them on, but the top elastic would still would roll down, and they would jiggle down my leg in rough terrain. I think I bought into the hype a bit too much.
how’s the protective foam in these? a certain roadie brand is gonna use them too soon:

1640628177958.jpeg

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
how’s the protective foam in these? a certain roadie brand is gonna use them too soon:
It's hard to say how good the reactive foam is on the Chromags because they have a supplemental layer of normal foam underneath. So the outside layer hardens on impact and the inside layer acts as a buffer in between your knee and the reactive gel. Unfortunately, it also makes them breathe fairly poorly (although the rest of the sleeve breathes well), and thicker (worse for wearing under pants). So I wear them way less frequently than my TLD Stages, and haven't had any really hard crashes on them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

View attachment 169516
It's hard to say how good the reactive foam is on the Chromags because they have a supplemental layer of normal foam underneath. So the outside layer hardens on impact and the inside layer acts as a buffer in between your knee and the reactive gel. Unfortunately, it also makes them breathe fairly poorly (although the rest of the sleeve breathes well), and thicker (worse for wearing under pants). So I wear them way less frequently than my TLD Stages, and haven't had any really hard crashes on them.
Same as Andeh. Haven't really had any hard crashes with them on yet. Other than breaking my back, but that didn't really involve my knees... Also somehow, I tend to not hit my knees all that often. My biggest crashes tend to involve shredded elbows, bruised/broken ribs and/or cracked helmets. My knees tend to come away unscathed.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
roadie knee pads? :rofl: i guess they'll have an easy time putting them on with shaved legs
I mean, yes. But I also consider road riding to be one of the most dangerous things you can do on two wheels and you're out there in spandex shorts, half finger gloves, and the lightest helmet you can get away with. I can't imagine riding road in pads, but it still seems nuts.

New candidate for most disappointing bike related purchase. Park P-handle T25. It must have a full 15 degrees of free rotation before engaging the fastener at all. Almost like they accidentally marked a T20 as a T25. Hell, a T20 would probably engage better than this thing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
New candidate for most disappointing bike related purchase. Park P-handle T25. It must have a full 15 degrees of free rotation before engaging the fastener at all. Almost like they accidentally marked a T20 as a T25. Hell, a T20 would probably engage better than this thing.
I reckon @Andrewpalooza nailed it with this quote

but the cheap (quality not price) Park set

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Worst purchase was years ago - Corsair Maelstrom piece of shit. Shipped the frame to South Korea and got left high and dry with the turd.
Latest disappointments include:
Steel Industry pedals - bought them thinking UK made and to support local. Really Poor design/quality right off the bat and no CS.
DMR Vaults - right pedal bushing kept popping out letting water and grit in, causing the bushing to wear. Changed to a better quality bushing but there is still play between body and spindle. Issues started almost from day 1.
Xfusion Manic seat post. Super sticky and after about 8 months wouldn’t lower. Sent in for warranty and while they changed the cart, it started to get get very sticky after 4 rides (makes me think of bushing bind). Only lowers if pressure is inline with the post. Supposed to do a minor (lube) service every month but the collar is impossible to loosen, incl. 2 x local bike shops. Had enough of this one and just received a PNW post.

Over the years I have stayed with components I like and that have proven pretty reliable for me. Seems when I try something new it is very hit and miss.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
KS lev Ci.
Got a carbon mast post because on my last bike the aluminum post became one with thr carbon.

The KS is just kind of.... sloppy,
Bindy.
The sprag scored up the stancion starting from day one.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I reckon @Andrewpalooza nailed it with this quote
I bought a little Park folding tool, on the first use it snapped, to be fair it did look pretty shit and I probably should have left it on the shelf.
Had a Knog tool do the same but not on the first use, I couldn't get a wheel undone when I got a flat so I had to ride near 10km on a rim.
My Topeak McGuyver must be 20yrs old and still works fine but it has no 8mm key which sucks.