Quantcast

YT Jeffsey/Capra Opinions (the price is right)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've been trolling the used bike market and keeping an eye on the mail order bike prices as well and YT just dropped their prices putting both the Jeffsy and Capra at super affordable price point.

But.... other than jumping on Cam's Jeffsy for a few minutes at Sea Otter last year I have no experience on the bikes.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on these bikes? To me the Jeffsy felt like a well designed trail bike with a super progressive leverage ratio but that's about all I got from a quick lap around the pump track.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I haven't ridden any of the jeffsies but the capra and tues are legit. The tues is probably the best riding dh bike I've been on.

So kidwoo, who don't you own one?

Good question, thanks for asking.

Howe Zink is everything right with the US distribution of that brand. But the folks in Reno just had that stripped away from them. The future is uncertain and the way it was handled kind of sucks. And it shouldn't be news that they make their money off build kits and aren't exactly buying the most expensive frames a feller can get. It's good to have a warranty that actually means something. And right now there's no such thing as YT USA. But once there is, at least it will be in California so you can pay sales tax now.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have a Capra and don't really see the point in the Jeffsy.

I have ridden one.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Howe Zink is everything right with the US distribution of that brand. But the folks in Reno just had that stripped away from them. The future is uncertain and the way it was handled kind of sucks. And it shouldn't be news that they make their money off build kits and aren't exactly buying the most expensive frames a feller can get. It's good to have a warranty that actually means something. And right now there's no such thing as YT USA. But once there is, at least it will be in California so you can pay sales tax now.
Very interesting. Is this the reason for the price drop? I thought it might be to move some units during the holiday season. Now I'm thinking they are trying to clear out inventory to avoid the cost of shipping it to CA from Reno.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Where are you seeing increased pedal efficiency or lower weight?

Price drop is in effect in europe just now too

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Where are you seeing increased pedal efficiency or lower weight?
That's generally reason for having a shorter travel trail bikes over longer travel endurbro bikes. I have neither ridden or weighed these bikes so I dunno first hand.

Edit:
Capra CF = 29.9lb
Jeffsy CF One 27= 28.4

According to YT lizards

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok

They weigh pretty much the same. infact if you fill the silly little waterbottle the Jeffsy comes with it'd be the heavier of the two

The Capra has more travel. But it also has a far more progressive leverage (25% moar) and doesn't pedal badly at all due to one of the other graphs people here like to see before they buy a bike.

#Science

Either bike can be ridden all day and climbed 1000s of metres easily. it's why I bought mine. Uplifts are few and far between here.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
due to one of the other graphs people here like to see before they buy a bike
Anit-squirt?

YT Capra Anti-Squat.png

Thanks @andrextr !!

silly little waterbottle the Jeffsy comes with
Comes with a silly water bottle? SOLD!

Either bike can be ridden all day and climbed 1000s of metres easily
How do they preform when climbing in feet? I do all my climbing in ft (sorry it's an Amerikun thing).

PS despite my stupidity I appreciate the input. I was genuinely having a hard time deciding between the two bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How do they preform when climbing in feet? I do all my climbing in ft (sorry it's an Amerikun thing).
I do too.
it's an old out of date cunt thing not an Americunt thing ;)

Most of my Capra rides are around 15-25miles and involve a minimum of 4000ft max around 10000ft.

My Capra as light as and climbs better than all my hardtails (Well... my 4X hardtail is lighter. but climbing 10000ft on a 11-25 cassette isn't easy)

hope this helps

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I would guess a replacement for the Capra is coming out soon.
I'd have thought so too.

it'll be pretty much exactly the same but with an expensive waterbottle and I'll no doubt prefer the SMALL to my own 2017 medium.
If it has a weedbox I might be tempted :/

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I do too.
it's an old out of date cunt thing not an Americunt thing ;)

Most of my Capra rides are around 15-25miles and involve a minimum of 4000ft max around 10000ft.

My Capra as light as and climbs better than all my hardtails (Well... my 4X hardtail is lighter. but climbing 10000ft on a 11-25 cassette isn't easy)

hope this helps
10,000ft in 25mi, eh?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been casting an eye on their website every year around this time. I think they are trying to clear inventory. they do it every year.

I also think the difference between the Capra and the Jeffsy comes down to more than weight, leverage rate and antisquwaks. There's also geometry to take into account. And I think that's where the two differ greatest.
upload_2017-12-14_10-31-30.png

upload_2017-12-14_10-32-18.png

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Yep. pretty normal elevation ratio for where I ride it. Got a problem with that?
Just surprised you have that kind of terrain there.

8mi / 2500-3000 vert is a pretty common lap here, and 3-4 laps here is a normal day of riding for sure. We are basically going straight up backcountry ski runs.

Just didn't realize your terrain was similar. Sounds rad. It certainly is here.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@marshalolson
https://www.trailforks.com/region/innerleithen-527/
This should give you an idea. They're not the biggest hills but if you stick to the steeper trails and the more direct routes 4000ft+ to 10miles is fairly normal.
a lot of those steeper trails head from the top all the way down. it's just the trail names split them. Coz #STRAVA
I'm in SE Scotland. We have proper mountains in Scotland too. not local to me tho

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's also geometry to take into account. And I think that's where the two differ greatest.
It's deceptive too (or maybe just plain wrong). I rode a Small Jeffsy back to back with my medium Capra.
On paper the Jeffsy should have been 5mm shorter in reach than my bike. it wasn't. it was far too short in every way. not something you'll often hear me complain about.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Just surprised you have that kind of terrain there.

8mi / 2500-3000 vert is a pretty common lap here, and 3-4 laps here is a normal day of riding for sure. We are basically going straight up backcountry ski runs.

Just didn't realize your terrain was similar. Sounds rad. It certainly is here.
A normal day you're putting in 7,500–12,000 ft of vertical and 48–64 miles? I don't think I've ever done that much mtb in a day. Must be fit!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
A normal day you're putting in 7,500–12,000 ft of vertical and 48–64 miles? I don't think I've ever done that much mtb in a day. Must be fit!
Well, normal as in 2-3 days a month.

Normal as in 3-5 days a week is more like 20-30mi and 4000 vert.

#soenduro

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've been casting an eye on their website every year around this time. I think they are trying to clear inventory. they do it every year.

I also think the difference between the Capra and the Jeffsy comes down to more than weight, leverage rate and antisquwaks. There's also geometry to take into account. And I think that's where the two differ greatest.
View attachment 127302

View attachment 127303
Easier to look at (plus converted to inches so my stupid amerikin brain can handle it). And yeah the Capra has closer #s to bikes I like. Now the big decision is medium or large. I think I'll go with the large for the longer wheel base and reach.

Geo Chart.png

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Very interesting. Is this the reason for the price drop? I thought it might be to move some units during the holiday season. Now I'm thinking they are trying to clear out inventory to avoid the cost of shipping it to CA from Reno.
So? You still have a warranty and a lot less expensive bike.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hey @kidwoo you ever ride the alu Capra? The weight is only .5lb more so I'm considering it to save a few $$$. Is it noticeably flexier?
Why you asking him? :blink:

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Why you asking him?
lol is your Capra alu? What do you think of it? Noticeably flexier than the CF? Root beer? Just assumed it was CF cause everyone I ride with is a carbon whore.

Asked Woo cause he's out by the former US distributor and he may have ridden both.

So? You still have a warranty and a lot less expensive bike.
I was a bit worried about the US distribution situation but it looks like they already have the new distribution out of Carlsbad in the works. Seems like they just didn't want to pay Cam any more. Sucks for him, he seems like a cool dude from the one time I met him out a Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The Capra is pretty much the most common non dentist UK derp bike. and it's pretty obvious how many dentists we have over here. ;)

I've ridden Alu and carbon back to back and in Med and Large.

I also happen to be 5'11" and probably weigh a Woo and a half give or take depending on pre woo poo or post woo poo.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mine's a MEDIUM*.
I do like shorter bikes tho (throwback from BMX as a kid, Dirtjump hardtails forever and racing DH hangin' off the back in the 90s)
5'10/11" is definitely the cusp of med Large teritory. if like me you like to hang off the back, manual everything, pop and play rather than worry about derp or Strava times. you may well enjoy the Medium. if you want a more stable, better climbing but slightly less playful bike Large is probably for you. If you like Chris porter saddle angles and reach numbers go XL and ride around in a troy lee half helmet like the spaz you are.

Carbon and Alu Capras share exactly the same stays. (Alu chainstay/Crabon Seatstay)
The front end is plenty stiff enough. you'd notice flex more from the fork choice (Pike Vs Lyrik/36) than you ever will from the front triangle material.

*it was a riding friend's small JEFFSY. do keep up ;)
JEFFSY SMALL reach 415mm (apparently**)
CAPRA MEDIUM reach 420mm

** someone somewhere at YT isn't so good at measuring things. My money's on that wee 80ft backflipping Lacondegeezer...

Rootbeer(ish?) Um... I dunno

Not mine ^^

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
5'10/11" is definitely the cusp of med Large teritory. if like me you like to hang off the back, manual everything, pop and play rather than worry about derp or Strava times. you may well enjoy the Medium. if you want a more stable, better climbing but slightly less playful bike Large is probably for you.
I like fun playful bikes, which is why I've been riding mediums forever. But every time I hit mach silly I can feel that the bike is too small and every time I see a side shot of me riding my bike I think "fuck that bike is too small". So I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a large this time around.

Plus it seems like they run a bit smaller than most. The wheel base and reach numbers are pretty close to the med Nomad and I loved that bike when I rode it.