Quantcast

£¢€Monday GMT√π÷

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
what are you doing for drivetrain? I have some xtr cranks unused that would be perfect.

edit: nvmd, I see your build update.

Anyone need XTR cranks?
Whats the scope on them? I loathe the Race Face cranks that I have (and the BB drama accompanied with it).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Annoying neighbors in the McMansion across the street have decided to keep their 400 megawatts of outside lights on at night now. Kind of feel like a Kenny Rodgers Roaster opened up across the street. Black out blinds ordered. Might install some strategically aimed strobing high powered Christmas lasers on the roof of my house.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Have you tried mindfulness? I took it up about a month ago, after a huge anger-related blowout with the kids. I need to figure something out to manage my emotional responses. But I digress.

I too have ADHD, and am taking meds (though probably at a lower dose than optimal, but I really dislike the side effects of the most effective does). I too work at home, in a country with much dark in the winter. I'm averaging three drinks a day at the moment (a beer after work while prepping dinner, a beer or wine with dinner, and a scotch/whisky/bourbon/calvados before bed). I could probably cut one out, but I'm doing ok with that I think. Since I started my mindfulness practice, I've found my sleep is better. It could be that my sleep cycle coincidentally got better at the same time as I took up the practice, but I'm willing to believe there's a link (if only for the placebo effect).

Could be worth a try for you. I just did a youtube music search for "guided mindfulness meditation" and picked a few that didn't get on my nerves. Podcast aggregators are chock-a-block with them too. I look for something in the 10 to 15 minute range.

That said, I can't wake up today, despite a good nights sleep, my meds and two coffees. grey and gloomy days with do that to you I guess.
I tried them some time ago. Might try again but for now I find to need to find an effective med with a dosage that doesn't kill me. Essentially I needed at least 72mg of Concerta (probably more but couldn't try) and that flew me off the walls.

I think a big problem is my job is stupidly repetitive. It's not bad but I am a TV program manager. I basically decide what's on TV for 2 channels so it's a very cyclical job where every month I do the same thing at the same times. Not complaining about the job but it's not for my ADHD when there is no other stimulation.

As for Drinks - The Diet helps with it a little as it's super restrictive and a way not to put shit in my body (Though I am REALLY tempted to buy an ex Noma food development chef distilled alcohol made from Habaneros called "F**K Trump and his stupid wall" since supposedly it's really tasty (or at least interesting))

Annoying neighbors in the McMansion across the street have decided to keep their 400 megawatts of outside lights on at night now. Kind of feel like a Kenny Rodgers Roaster opened up across the street. Black out blinds ordered. Might install some strategically aimed strobing high powered Christmas lasers on the roof of my house.

I would rather like to own a high powered CO2 laser...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
When I was an application engineer I used to have to support a customer who purchased a lot of 3k-6k watt C02 lasers. Those things are temperamental and not cheap to maintain.
The maintenance costs to clean the mirrors and whatnot on our laser welders here are apparently $$$$$$ guessing most of it is in the calibration?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The maintenance costs to clean the mirrors and whatnot on our laser welders here are apparently $$$$$$ guessing most of it is in the calibration?

Lot's of labor. It isn't just the mirrors but also the oscillator tubes. One must be meticulous when cleaning them, then upon reassembly it requires a lot of fiddly adjustments to tune in the mode shape. There is just a lot that can go wrong, super high frequency power supplies aren't the most reliable as are the vacuum pumps which are a rather common source of contamination, assuming you have a gas supplier that doesn't give you contaminated bottles.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lot's of labor. It isn't just the mirrors but also the oscillator tubes. One must be meticulous when cleaning them, then upon reassembly it requires a lot of fiddly adjustments to tune in the mode shape. There is just a lot that can go wrong, super high frequency power supplies aren't the most reliable as are the vacuum pumps which are a rather common source of contamination, assuming you have a gas supplier that doesn't give you contaminated bottles.
All that compared to the spinning friction welder, which just uses speed and force to mash things together.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
westy, rent a batman kleig light.
i would damn well bet your neighborhood has a no light bleed ordinance, but i am sure you have thought of that.

I was thinking of something really bright that would pulse infrequently yet randomly. Like a visual version of a smoke detector with a dying battery.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Weekend cluster fuck continues. Fridge stopped working overnight. Spent a while this morning moving things to deep freeze and downstairs fridge, while making Haley breakfast, and cancelling meetings. Yay Fun!

Aaaaaand now you're on a list.
[KO-KO]
As some day it may happen that a victim must be found
I've got a little list — I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground
And who never would be missed — who never would be missed!
There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs —
All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs —
All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat —
All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like that —
And all third persons who on spoiling tête-á-têtes insist —
They'd none of 'em be missed — they'd none of 'em be missed!

[Chorus]
He's got 'em on the list — he's got 'em on the list;
And they'll none of 'em be missed — they'll none of 'em be missed

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Good memories. I still remember the bi-monthly RAC trucks pulling up to our neighbors house in CO repo-ing stuff. Yet they still kept giving them stuff, and neighbors still refused to pay.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
[KO-KO]
As some day it may happen that a victim must be found
I've got a little list — I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground
And who never would be missed — who never would be missed!
There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs —
All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs —
All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat —
All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like that —
And all third persons who on spoiling tête-á-têtes insist —
They'd none of 'em be missed — they'd none of 'em be missed!

[Chorus]
He's got 'em on the list — he's got 'em on the list;
And they'll none of 'em be missed — they'll none of 'em be missed
Great. Now I have show-tunes stuck in my head.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good memories. I still remember the bi-monthly RAC trucks pulling up to our neighbors house in CO repo-ing stuff. Yet they still kept giving them stuff, and neighbors still refused to pay.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they had a HD pickup in the driveway as well and liked to complain about how tough it was to get by

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They made so much money off those folks when they finally paid, though.

Back in the day my roommate caught the dryer on fire and replaced it with one from RAC because he was broke. It was crazy expensive and they called the house (land line days) constantly hounding him for like $15/week.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they had a HD pickup in the driveway as well and liked to complain about how tough it was to get by
Definitely not that type of poor people. More the, trashy single mom with 3 little asshole kids and a revolving lineup of male friends stopping by kind.