Quantcast

¥¥¥¥¥ Wednesday heading on vacation .. ª…ßéé®√√ç√ç∂∂

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fun thing about having a colonoscopy in a small town where your wife is a nurse in the OR… you’ll know most of the people in the room during your procedure. My pre-op nurse is the dude I’m going to Squamish with in May, another good friend just dropped in to wish me good luck, I’ve had Thanksgiving dinner with my surgeon, the list goes on.
everyone has to do the butt stuff. some people just don't have a problem talking about it

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Fun thing about having a colonoscopy in a small town where your wife is a nurse in the OR… you’ll know most of the people in the room during your procedure. My pre-op nurse is the dude I’m going to Squamish with in May, another good friend just dropped in to wish me good luck, I’ve had Thanksgiving dinner with my surgeon, the list goes on.

A whisker short of 6’2”

Y'all should sing this together before you go under.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
lol, when I had to provide a baby batter sample, I knew the girl that I had to give the warm sample to (in a clear sample cup), and the dude manning the microscope was a riding buddy of mine. Welcome to mountain town life.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
So we asked one of the last American vendors who supply our dying industry for something and they said "We don't have anyone who can do that anymore." I'm glad I'll be retiring before we try to run this place on Excel spreadsheets.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do all these tech industry sales bros have a WhatsApp group chat where they exchange contacts for free drinks or something?

Where some of these people get my name and work email from, is well, a mystery. I don't hand it out all willy nilly like, ya know.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
So we asked one of the last American vendors who supply our dying industry for something and they said "We don't have anyone who can do that anymore." I'm glad I'll be retiring before we try to run this place on Excel spreadsheets.
a buddy of mine runs a scientific instrument company, they bought another company recently and as the old guys retire from the company they purchased it gets harder and harder to find people who can do that particular kind of programming.

if only we had a system of mentoring and apprenticeship in place instead of "disruptive" venture backed hyper capitalism.

grumble grumble guillotine grumble

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
a buddy of mine runs a scientific instrument company, they bought another company recently and as the old guys retire from the company they purchased it gets harder and harder to find people who can do that particular kind of programming.

if only we had a system of mentoring and apprenticeship in place instead of "disruptive" venture backed hyper capitalism.

grumble grumble guillotine grumble
Have you ever looked at the mainframes that continue to run out financial systems? When was the last time Cobol was taught in schools? I was using it at US Bank just a couple of years ago.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In other innuendo news, This cracked me up so much I got out of bed at six. Last night I had to cook off three pounds of ground beef for the dog. (He has been rejecting kibble), so I cooked it off as one meat loaf.
This morning wifey went to feed the dog, and wasn’t happy that it needed to be cut up.
I asked “what’s the problem?”, so she yelled from the kitchen “it’s just one big, hard thing that I can’t deal with!!!”

Needless to say, hilarity ensued.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
In other innuendo news, This cracked me up so much I got out of bed at six. Last night I had to cook off three pounds of ground beef for the dog. (He has been rejecting kibble), so I cooked it off as one meat loaf.
This morning wifey went to feed the dog, and wasn’t happy that it needed to be cut up.
I asked “what’s the problem?”, so she yelled from the kitchen “it’s just one big, hard thing that I can’t deal with!!!”

Needless to say, hilarity ensued.
Perhaps she would be able to deal with it if she had more practice. You should suggest it to her.

Probate hearing went well.

rainy. took kids to school. wfh a bit; in office a bit. 14yo's transfer request for high school got accepted, which is cool. now to see if he got into the other school he's waitlisted for. prolly hit the gym with him this afternoon.

have been looking for morels with wifey during our daily walks...despite trying to look in the right types of habitats, no luck yet...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You should have some curried sausages. :homer:
I’m about to tuck into a massive plate of Huevos Rancheros topped with added avocado and carnitas, and lemon poppy seed scone to start. So fucking hungry.

thinking about rock creek on friday...or maybe wilsons. should be good conditions either way!
So friggin’ stoked to hear your going riding!

I need to get back to Wilson’s. Been awhile since I’ve ridden there..
Same girl, same.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And that's what happens when companies don't give any thought to the future. Not the "next quarter" future - but the *actual* future...
I have worked for 2 banks in the last 8 years or so and the problem hasn't gone away. At some point you will have to switch systems and there isn't any migration tool or process that covers it.

I was laughing while I tested the latest mobile app. You can apply for a loan using your phone and the decision about your loan is made by a virtual machine pretending to be a '60s mainframe running Cobol commands. The same system that approved your grandparents mortgage. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Has she mentioned any fear of the building falling down yet?
As long as it's not a miami condo, you should be fine.
It’s not fear of the building falling down but rather perceived inability to sleep. Despite earplugs, a sleep mask, and ultimately layering her noise canceling headphones on top of all that.
lol, when I had to provide a baby batter sample, I knew the girl that I had to give the warm sample to (in a clear sample cup), and the dude manning the microscope was a riding buddy of mine. Welcome to mountain town life.
So did she look at you, the sample, then back at you with a mildly surprised expression or what
I’m about to tuck into a massive plate of Huevos Rancheros topped with added avocado and carnitas, and lemon poppy seed scone to start. So fucking hungry.
I’ve had green chile chilaquiles for breakfast every day here. 7/5 would do again. And will

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It’s not fear of the building falling down but rather perceived inability to sleep. Despite earplugs, a sleep mask, and ultimately layering her noise canceling headphones on top of all that.
Jeezus. She can't sleep 'cause she's got fuckin' headphones on her head. :D

I’ve had green chile chilaquiles for breakfast every day here. 7/5 would do again. And will
Mmmm... chilaquiles... :drool: I like to refer to those as "breakfast nachos." :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And that's what happens when companies don't give any thought to the future. Not the "next quarter" future - but the *actual* future...
It's easy to do when you can golden parachute your way out of the mess. Might as well pump your stock options and let the next guy deal with it.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Probate hearing went well.

As a person who eats a lot of foraged (by me only) food, I suspect there is a lot more to the story. It is pretty well known that there are some fairly poisonous morel lookalikes. I personally wouldn't call them lookalikes, because the difference is easily discernible, but apparently some people struggle...

The article makes no mention of provenance of the mushrooms. It could have been someone's neighbor Larry that sold them the mushrooms - totally not uncommon in the restaurant world. As a retail customer in a restaurant you typically can't really ask where something came from and expect an honest answer, but I would sure as hell hope the investigation takes close look at the source of the "morels."

On top of that, the description of the preparation technique sounds a little dicey. Pour boiling sauce over raw mushrooms and let them sit until served? Haha. Yeah, nope. Just give me a pitri dish to lick instead.

The other way they were served was raw. Who the fuck eats morels raw? That is a total red-flag to me. It just isn't the way they should be eaten from a flavor perspective. "No one" does this. On top of that the most common mushroom "poison" (the one that upsets your stomach) is volatile and will thus volatilize when sauteed. Piled even further on top of that is the fact that foraged food often has other yeasts, microbes, insects and worms in it. Cooking neutralizes a lot of the potential effects of those...

I bet you a dollar that the "chef" has no professional training either.

/rant. Honestly, a little surprised by how much that story caught my attention...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You don’t need all those fancy gadgets to produce delicious, artery clogging deep fried treats. Back in my bar fly days I kept a pot of peanut oil on the stove so I could make taquitos from leftovers when I stumbled home.
Back when my boy was cooking he used to play a game of "what can we deep fry" that has produced some amazing results. Often bacon wrapped or beer pancake battered, or both. He was an amazing chef, too bad that's an awful career choice. He enjoyed the work, it was the hours and pay that are killers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Some sales asshole decided to phone bomb our department when we told him email only and now we're cutting ties with his company and they are freaking the fuck out lol
Those guys......... :banghead:

They will somehow get my work phone number, call and then I have to tell them to scram or that I'm not responsible for yadda yadda yadda (and no I won't give you the number for who is).

But because I sit at a building that is different from where I'm "employed" from, they're next step is usually to call that building and ask to speak to "IT". Guess who answers the phone, again? Mate, the answer was no the first time and now I'm just going to hang up. :rofl:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Back when my boy was cooking he used to play a game of "what can we deep fry" that has produced some amazing results. Often bacon wrapped or beer pancake battered, or both. He was an amazing chef, too bad that's an awful career choice. He enjoyed the work, it was the hours and pay that are killers.
Best thing about being a chef is the cocaine that keeps you from suck starting a shotgun. It's usually shit cocaine tho. Fucking nose muffins.