Quantcast

°F°F°F°F°F°F°F°F° 0 °F°F°F°F°F°F°F°F°

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

19* F here, and luckily it stayed warm enough throughout the night in our insulated yet unheated space.

Looks like the FIL and I will be installing a ductless HVAC system ourselves. Doesn't look too complicated...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Weather entirely outside
orly(.gif)?

I am itchy today. Wife may have washed the sheets in a different, more eco-friendly detergent and my body does not care for it, apparently.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Biometrics testing today for work coverage. Let's see if my high blood pressure has gone down, along with lower cholesterol, blood glucose, higher potassium, and heck, let's see if I'm below 240lbs.

I may have to start cycling again.......

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Don't know the temp but I couldn't see my breath when I left the house this morning.

Looking for a good uphill ski setup & really dont know what is best for what we want to do, which is basically have a pair of skis/boots at the house we can strap on after a storm & scoot up to the meadows behind the house. its about 800' or so elevation up from the house with gentle trails, so steeper than others.
I have a ghetto tele setup but have only ever scooted around the neighborhood & dont have skins. Help a clueless skier out, xc skis with scales? waxed xc skis?, tele? that weird ski that was popular last year on here?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I need to get my snowboard and gear prepped. It's been a few years. We are supposed to have a family snow trip in December for my BiLs Bday. But, knowing SoCal, it will still probably be 70 in the mountains with blown snow.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Frustrated as all get out with this damn tool. Have a call at 12:30 to see if we can make it fly.

I will say the morning commute is only 31 minutes and that is half the old one, so that's nice.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yup, kidney Stone. All they gave her was Toridol (?), but she doesn't like opiates anyway. We need a scan at the hospital next, though. I guess that pain can be worse than getting shot.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Don't know the temp but I couldn't see my breath when I left the house this morning.

Looking for a good uphill ski setup & really dont know what is best for what we want to do, which is basically have a pair of skis/boots at the house we can strap on after a storm & scoot up to the meadows behind the house. its about 800' or so elevation up from the house with gentle trails, so steeper than others.
I have a ghetto tele setup but have only ever scooted around the neighborhood & dont have skins. Help a clueless skier out, xc skis with scales? waxed xc skis?, tele? that weird ski that was popular last year on here?
Maybe just troll the CL for some skins for the tele setup and call it a day? Plenty fine for scooting up the hill and tromping around in the woods. And you can likely just make parallel turns on the teles even without the heels locked down... that's what I end up doing whenever I freeheel it. I mean, I try to make actual tele turns, but that shit is difficult. And stupid. And no one cares if I tele or not.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Its -20 outside. Why :(
:wave:

Shockingly warm this morning. My coffee was bad and I feel bad. :(
it was you! you took all our warmth. :rant::butcher:
the newest development in XC ski technology is skis with skins built into the kick pocket. I'll see if I can dig an example up for you...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yup, kidney Stone. All they gave her was Toridol (?), but she doesn't like opiates anyway. We need a scan at the hospital next, though. I guess that pain can be worse than getting shot.
According to my former Rheumatologist, Gout and Kidney stones are the worst pain a human can feel. And if KS are worse than Gout, then I’ll have to pass. Ten years of Gout was more than plenty for me.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
it was you! you took all our warmth. :rant::butcher:

the newest development in XC ski technology is skis with skins built into the kick pocket. I'll see if I can dig an example up for you...
Affordable is one of the most important details I left out.

@Full Trucker's suggestion is prolly the route we will take after researching more this AM. skinny scales xc skis will not be good for what we want to do i think. teles will handle breaking trail better I think.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
that weird shit that was popular here last year were Altai Hok's. Seem like a good fit with what you want to do... https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/hok-ski-updated-2016/

there's a similar ski called the OAC. They look a little more traditional, so they might slide better on the way back down. https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-xcd-160

AS I poked around the "regular" xc ski stuff, it seems they mostly have catered to the classic skiing in track-set trails group.

I think that for traipsing around in fresh snow, the first two would be your best bet. They're kinda like a blend of snowshoes going up and (really slow) skis coming back down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like working half days. Rolled in on my bike a bit after 8. Worked a bit. Interviewed a candidate for the fellowship at 9:30. Worked a bit more. Back home on the bike by 11:30 AM and French pressed me some actually black coffee since I’m 18 hours into a 72 hour fast.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
According to my former Rheumatologist, Gout and Kidney stones are the worst pain a human can feel. And if KS are worse than Gout, then I’ll have to pass. Ten years of Gout was more than plenty for me.
I dunno, trigeminal neuralgia is called the suicide disease...for a reason.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Best of luck to her. The pain is crippling, I go through it once in a full moon, too.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I dunno, trigeminal neuralgia is called the suicide disease...for a reason.
Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun.

Gout attacks completely redefined my personal definition of, "pain". Like most of us on here I've broken bones, pulled this and torn that, separated duh whut, etc. None of those injuries could even remotely compare to a Gout flare up. Basically what happens is your body will either produce an excess amount of serum uric acid or not excrete enough, resulting in crystalized uric acid that forms in the shape of needle like shards that cut the surrounding tissue. The worst flare up I had was in my left knee. It felt like I had broken pieces of glass under my knee cap and every time I moved, the shards would cut. That one lasted 3.5 weeks.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Look at some OAC skis, nice setup to explore. Either with boot bindings or 3 pins.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I think that for traipsing around in fresh snow, the first two would be your best bet. They're kinda like a blend of snowshoes going up and (really slow) skis coming back down.
Actually they are slow to get going, but once the slope gets steeper they slide pretty good. Depends of the type of snow. Wet snow is not ideal. They do corner pretty good, tight radius around trees when you're in dense forest.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bored. Found somebody interested in my old boots who wants to come out later this week; hopefully he actually does.