Quantcast

ÆÆÆÆÆ Monday GTM vacation is over ÅÅÅÅÅÅ

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Fkna.
from running?

Im in week 3 of a training for a half & my knee hurts so bad the day after, Im starting to get concerned.
Running shouldn't hurt your knees. It can hurt your calves, hips, glutes, back, hamstrings, feet, ankles...but your knees should be fine. How old are your shoes? Good/new shoes can make a big difference. I'd recommend going to a running store and get properly fitted to a pair if you haven't already. Your sore knee could also be your IT band. Can you pinpoint the exact location of the pain? Might not be a bad idea to go a physical therapist and get checked out. One visit can be a huge help.

Edit: I see Squeeb already asked the shoe question. Go get a fitted for a new pair. Even if your current pair isn't too worn down, a GOOD pair can make a world of difference.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
@TN also, why would you want frame binding? Have you skied any new pin bindings? they're amazing and weight nothing by comparison.
I dont want to have to buy another pair of boots & really will only be skiing slack country.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Running shouldn't hurt your knees. It can hurt your calves, hips, glutes, back, hamstrings, feet, ankles...but your knees should be fine. How old are your shoes? Good/new shoes can make a big difference. I'd recommend going to a running store and get properly fitted to a pair if you haven't already. Your sore knee could also be your IT band. Can you pinpoint the exact location of the pain? Might not be a bad idea to go a physical therapist and get checked out. One visit can be a huge help.

Edit: I see Squeeb already asked the shoe question. Go get a fitted for a new pair. Even if your current pair isn't too worn down, a GOOD pair can make a world of difference.
inside of my meniscus.

shoes are on the top pf the list.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

The new pup has been getting along well minus my wife being unable to tolerate the whining in the crate. Slow process, but progress

It has been too damn hot to do anything outside.

3 years of running in combat boots on pavement did wonders for my knees. After the last surgery in '07 I was advised to knock it off and exited the Army. I hated running to begin with.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
inside of my meniscus.

shoes are on the top pf the list.
Well I am not smart enough or educated enough to diagnose said problem, but I think my "get new shoes" and "see a PT" pieces of advice are sound. I will say running never bothers my knees (my tears were skiing and hockey injuries). And I don't know what your training looks like but you could have irritated something if you ramped up your mileage or intensity too quickly.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Well I am not smart enough or educated enough to diagnose said problem, but I think my "get new shoes" and "see a PT" pieces of advice are sound. I will say running never bothers my knees (my tears were skiing and hockey injuries). And I don't know what your training looks like but you could have irritated something if you ramped up your mileage or intensity too quickly.
I know you wouldnt steer me wrong.

I dont think my training schedule accounts for the elevation I am running.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I dont think my training schedule accounts for the elevation I am running.
By this do you mean running at altitude or running hills? Either way, both will make you feel like Superman if you train like that and then run a flat race at sea level. And altitude won't hurt your knee but hills can if you're overstriding when you bomb down them.

Btw from the sound of it it sounds like you've just got some irritation in your knee. Nothing new shoes and some PT can't fix. If you had any structural damage (bone, ligament, cartilage), it'd hurt like hell when you run.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Running at incline reduces knee pressure and lower back strain, downhill not so much. As said to me by PT doc on a treadmill.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hannah was a pita on the plane. I probably walked half a mile on the flight

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Rode many miles and feets of strange this weekend. Hailed on at least twice. Ate lots of delicious foods and drank probably too many beers. I am le tired this morning, gonna be a tough one to push through work today. My Ma comes to visit later this week, and with the temps being cooler right now I really oughtta ride after work today but I... just... it's just that... I mean... tired.

Priority is new (to me) pair of beater twin tips to teach on, then an AT setup with frame bindings. Looking at used.
I've got a pair of 192 Bent Chetlers with Barons that I'd make you a helluva deal on... couple Benjis and they're yours, tough guy.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Mornin!

Dropping the dogs off then renting a car this morning so we can drive the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Truck + camper = too portly

Tomorrow we make the pilgrimage to the East side of the park to try and secure camping, then spend Tuesday/Wednesday hiking. Thinking we’ll knock out Grinnell Glacier and Iceberg Lake.
Tuesday to Saturday R041 in many glacier campground, we brought all our water toys (canoe/kayak/SUP) and happy to share if you're around
concurrently...

#ILikePortersandIPAs

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sooooo..... Got myself kicked right in the eye socket this weekend.... It has left me with a headache......

Also the figurative kick to the face I feel hit a bit harder....

One of our captains was in a boating accident. His wife was killed and we are still searching for his son in the Yellowstone River.....

http://www.kbzk.com/story/38760411/search-for-missing-teen-on-yellowstone-river-near-livingston-enters-third-day

They have moved from rescue mode to recovery mode now looking for the boy....

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The 2018 Colorado Trail Race "started" yesterday, so now I'm glued to the tracker, stalking dots. A good friend who's racing this year just reached Georgia Pass a minute or so ago, the exact spot where her husband (also a good friend) proposed to her in the middle of a high country ride. At 125 miles in to a 525 mile race about 1/3 of the way into day 2, I think she's on pace to complete in her goal of finishing in under 6 days.

The leaders are crushing... unfathomable distance so far. The actual leader is at RM206 and is riding a single speed. My brain doesn't even comprehend that sort of struggle. Under 4 days is happening at that pace... Not sure what the record is exactly but I do think it's 3 days and change. The first person to go under 4 days did so by about 4 hours in 2015.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Also what? I must've missed the part where @6thElement has a finish time for the CTR... last year even. I know he does big-ass races but apparently missed that one. I mean, unless someone with his exact name raced and finished in 2017.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also what? I must've missed the part where @6thElement has a finish time for the CTR... last year even. I know he does big-ass races but apparently missed that one. I mean, unless someone with his exact name raced and finished in 2017.
Negative on the me, I must have a doppleganger with the same name.

I wouldn't want to race CTR, too much good riding and scenery to plow through in pain and darkness. Wife and I are happily riding the CT the occasional section at a time. I'd wanted to do Gold Hill and Miners Creek over the Ten Mile Range last week while on vacation, but the weather wasn't cooperating. It will be done on an upcoming weekend though before the end of the season.

We did do a great overnight bikepacking trip, south of Eagle, west of the Holy Cross Wilderness last week though...

edit: Is it Jefe Branham Singlespeeding? He was SS when I did Tour Divide 7 years ago too...

Last edited: