Quantcast

Ò Well? Ò

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Back home from south of the border, I flew over whatever wall separated freedumland from the nasty people who stole our jobs and raped all the white women.

I hope to avoid airports for at least a month (unlikely).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My next project: just got back my old 170mm travel Jr T fork from a relatives house. I'm going to strap it on on my Trek Fuel. More travel and a slacker front end should make the rough stuff more fun....or not, but there is only one way to find out

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
32 x 11/42 up in here. but luddite 1x10. i could see going with the sunrace 11/46 at some point, but probably i just need to ride more often.

in other news, beer tastes good.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My next project: just got back my old 170mm travel Jr T fork from a relatives house. I'm going to strap it on on my Trek Fuel. More travel and a slacker front end should make the rough stuff more fun....or not, but there is only one way to find out

I do hope you at least have enough sense to run a coil shock and 3" Gazzalodies.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Poked the bear with a short stick.

Got a late start cuz I suck, but headed up to Boone anyway. Waffled for a bit about the pros and cons of riding Wilson Creek v.s. a more sensible location like Rocky Knob since it was going to be late in the day. Been wanting to ride Yancey Ridge for a looong time, very looong time. Used to ride it often in the early to mid 90s, before it was published in a guide and mostly known to the locals. It is however, way the fuck out there, and uber technical.

Been to Rocky Knob a bunch of times and thought I could hit that place then do a hike somewhere along the parkway, followed up with a burrito back in Boone. A fine afternoon by any standard.

There was also a storm dumping on the Boone side of Grandfather.

Said fuck it, and went to ride Yancey Ridge. Got started a little after 5:00 and took a light, which came in handy. It rained just a wee bit, but held off until I had to drive out, which sucked. Seriously, sketchy, steep, dirt road at night in a thunderstorm.

The trail was pretty tame for quite a bit of it. A lot of up and down and of course looked very little like it used to. The last fourth or so is where it gets rowdy. Lots of steep ruts, ditches, drops, rawks and roots. Some of the crazy bar banging ditches were gone though.

Got back to the car around 9:00. I stopped for at least 30 mins, but still way slower than when I was in my 20s and racing xc on a steel hardtail. I'm older, slower, but still capable of doing dumb shit on a bike out in the woods.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Poked the bear with a short stick.

Got a late start cuz I suck, but headed up to Boone anyway. Waffled for a bit about the pros and cons of riding Wilson Creek v.s. a more sensible location like Rocky Knob since it was going to be late in the day. Been wanting to ride Yancey Ridge for a looong time, very looong time. Used to ride it often in the early to mid 90s, before it was published in a guide and mostly known to the locals. It is however, way the fuck out there, and uber technical.

Been to Rocky Knob a bunch of times and thought I could hit that place then do a hike somewhere along the parkway, followed up with a burrito back in Boone. A fine afternoon by any standard.

There was also a storm dumping on the Boone side of Grandfather.

Said fuck it, and went to ride Yancey Ridge. Got started a little after 5:00 and took a light, which came in handy. It rained just a wee bit, but held off until I had to drive out, which sucked. Seriously, sketchy, steep, dirt road at night in a thunderstorm.

The trail was pretty tame for quite a bit of it. A lot of up and down and of course looked very little like it used to. The last fourth or so is where it gets rowdy. Lots of steep ruts, ditches, drops, rawks and roots. Some of the crazy bar banging ditches were gone though.

Got back to the car around 9:00. I stopped for at least 30 mins, but still way slower than when I was in my 20s and racing xc on a steel hardtail. I'm older, slower, but still capable of doing dumb shit on a bike out in the woods.
YASSSSSSSS. what road did you take out? edgemont? pineola? roseboro?

also, did you take the first right over to yancey on roseboro, just after the climb, or go down the hill a bit and then take a right? imo, the second of the two is a lot more work, but you do get the first part of the yancey dh, which is pretty washed/rowdy as well. for extra bonus fun, climb all the way to the parkway and hit beacon to yancey!

my buddy derek has a place just across the bridge at the bottom of yancey. many creek beers have been consumed under that bridge.

now we need to figure out a big NC monkey Wilsons Weekend this fall!

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
YASSSSSSSS. what road did you take out? edgemont? pineola? roseboro?

also, did you take the first right over to yancey on roseboro, just after the climb, or go down the hill a bit and then take a right? imo, the second of the two is a lot more work, but you do get the first part of the yancey dh, which is pretty washed/rowdy as well. for extra bonus fun, climb all the way to the parkway and hit beacon to yancey!

my buddy derek has a place just across the bridge at the bottom of yancey. many creek beers have been consumed under that bridge.

now we need to figure out a big NC monkey Wilsons Weekend this fall!
Drove in/out on Rosoboro from Linville. Parked at Cragg Prong lot and took 192 up right there by the bridge. Back in the day that climb up to the gap was no where near as eroded. There were two loops, Long Yancey and Short Yancey. If I couldn't do that climb in under 30 mins I just rode the shorter loop. Fastest I ever climbed it was 22 minutes. 47 minutes today.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Drove in/out on Rosoboro from Linville. Parked at Cragg Prong lot and took 192 up right there by the bridge. Back in the day that climb up to the gap was no where near as eroded. There were two loops, Long Yancey and Short Yancey. If I couldn't do that climb in under 30 mins I just rode the shorter loop. Fastest I ever climbed it was 22 minutes. 47 minutes today.
yeah...it’s pretty rough now. i usually park at the end of yancey, so i’ve already climbed roseboro before i even start 192...

stoked you made it out to wilsons!

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
yeah...it’s pretty rough now. i usually park at the end of yancey, so i’ve already climbed roseboro before i even start 192...

stoked you made it out to wilsons!
I heard or read that there was a questionable ditch on Rosoboro. When I rode up it in the dark it looked pretty fresh, squishy and requiring more clearance than a Honda Element has to offer. To park at the bottom I would have to take a longer route in. Maybe the road will get fixed.