Quantcast

× Wednesday MT ×

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I had no idea @BikeGeek worked there. We haven't been there in a few years but yes, out by Harrisburg and Hershey.
Yep. Work in Hershey, live in Annville. Hit me up next time you're around.

Where did you hike? There's a great little AT segment with an awesome swimming hole just northeast of Lebanon, about 4.5 miles from the 501 trailhead

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yep. Work in Hershey, live in Annville. Hit me up next time you're around.

Where did you hike? There's a great little AT segment with an awesome swimming hole just northeast of Lebanon, about 4.5 miles from the 501 trailhead
Oh damn thats cool! My grandma lived in Annville for a couple years. The wife and I always say how cute that town is. Even the college is like perfectly set in the town. Plus you have Rotunda Brewing which is pretty sweet. So what do you do for Troegs? We accessed the trail just north of Lebanon and hiked East. This is where we parked:
1593022033262.png

2013-03-28 13.23.30 small.jpg

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Almost Noon Monkeys.

So after last weekend's epic fail, the wife found HipCamp and was able to book us a few places already for this summer and if we like any/all, rebook.

It's an awesome idea having a spot on the river not right next to someone and it's like $30 a night. Frita is self contained, so we don't need hookups. A picnic table seems standard, same for a pit for fires. All within 90 minutes was the initial search.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i obviously missed something here.
Was told campsites were open, they were not. Dispersed camping was packed due to the first condition. Covered 200 miles, 15+ of it on a dirt road I likely shouldn't have been on only to get home 6 hours later.

Just not as spontaneous as I used to be, I guess. :rofl:

Blew my radiator cap, one of three dogs got sick. Good times.

<edit> to be fair, cap was my fault as was the pooch. After the dirt road adventure, I got a bit aggressive on the paved ones afterwards.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
C9F73D84-78CF-4D1C-B6AF-52EC91547F28.jpeg

Not sure what that really means but sounds like TMI. :D

Any one else's Garmin Fenix HRM completely useless when riding & sweating in the heat?
No issues with my wrist HRM via Garmin Vivoactive HR or Apple Watch.

why? it'll give a better reading than anything wrist or arm based.
You’re the one who started a thread about sensitive nipples. Perhaps he has a sensitive lower chest issue.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if you're putting your chest strap HRM on your nipples you're doing it wrong.
I wear one lower than the nipples, agreed. But wrist is more comfortable yet, and who is to say how ptotic his nipples may be?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Another 2000 yard pool swim done this morning, and once again slow as hell. Among a day full of meetings, I've got a 90 minute lunch window where I will go for a hot and humid run.

Speaking of which, instead of running or going for a ride on my tri bike last night, Wife DRAGGED me along on her MTB ride. BOOOOO!!!!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Man...those were the less expensive alternative to Hutch BMX pedals. We used to file the teeth to make them sharper. Turned out to be excellent shin conditioning for future mountain biking.
I went from KKT Lightnings to Bear Traps. My shins are proof. The grip was amazing, but if you did slip, oof.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was talking to a friend of mine from college over the weekend. Great dude, when he had next to nothing was always willing to share everything he had and always had your back. He asked me if I was back riding after my thumb injury and stated that he now lives nears some trails and gets out on his ancient Trek 2000 a few times a week. Decided to give him my 2016 Yeti SB5 so he can have moar funz and ride better trails.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Was talking to a friend of mine from college over the weekend. Great dude, when he had next to nothing was always willing to share everything he had and always had your back. He asked me if I was back riding after my thumb injury and stated that he now lives nears some trails and gets out on his ancient Trek 2000 a few times a week. Decided to give him my 2016 Yeti SB5 so he can have moar funz and ride better trails.
Dude. :clapping:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I sometimes wish I had a heart.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I sometimes wish I had a heart.
You should team up with jonkranked to see if you can find him a brain.

In college I had my bike stolen. There were some reports of this frat boy riding it around town. My friend John crossed paths with him at a bar, cornered him in an alley when he left, smacked him around a bit and threatened to kill him if the wasn't returned. I woke up the next day to find it on my front porch.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Was talking to a friend of mine from college over the weekend. Great dude
Hey, I just want to let you know the dropper post you sent me is awesome. My brain is getting the hang of when to drop the post prior to drops. I did this double root step 4’ drop to bank turn and the only reason I felt comfortable doing it was because of the seatpost. After I made it through I was yelling to myself in the middle of the woods in excitement. While it’s not a bike it’s allowed me to ride better and enjoy my rides even more. On the other hand you totally F’ed my head up when you stated that you need a full squish now to save your back. Every root I go over I think of that comment and wonder how much longer my back will hold out. Regardless, thanks for the post.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey, I just want to let you know the dropper post you sent me is awesome. My brain is getting the hang of when to drop the post prior to drops. I did this double root step 4’ drop to bank turn and the only reason I felt comfortable doing it was because of the seatpost. After I made it through I was yelling to myself in the middle of the woods in excitement. While it’s not a bike it’s allowed me to ride better and enjoy my rides even more. On the other hand you totally F’ed my head up when you stated that you need a full squish now to save your back. Every root I go over I think of that comment and wonder how much longer my back will hold out. Regardless, thanks for
the post.

Glad it is working for you. And it wasn't me who mentioned the hardtail and back. I recently got a new hardtail and have been loving it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Last Saturday my AED started beeping with a low battery alarm. I got online and found one for $98.00 with free shipping on Amazon. It shipped out from Nashville on Monday and arrived today. Great service and now I have a functioning AED for this weekends Horse show. I'm hoping that this battery dies unused of old age just like the last one.

IMG_20200624_164815256~2.jpg
IMG_20200624_164850792~2.jpg

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Glad it is working for you. And it wasn't me who mentioned the hardtail and back. I recently got a new hardtail and have been loving it.
Sorry it was all part of that conversation when we discussed my dropper post I must have mixed it up.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got a little close to the edge of a bench cut trail on a very steep hill tonight and it started to crumble away. It took every muscle to somehow stay upright and get back on the trail. Back was hurting immediately after, but seems to be ok now?

Le sad..

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Got a little close to the edge of a bench cut trail on a very steep hill tonight and it started to crumble away. It took every muscle to somehow stay upright and get back on the trail.
That happened to me once. We were riding ... starvation creek? And a left turn just barely gave under my tires. I was sure i was done for but got thru the turn fine.

Then @Adventurous followed 5 seconds behind me, blew right through the turn and tumbled straight down the hillside.:D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That happened to me once. We were riding ... starvation creek? And a left turn just barely gave under my tires. I was sure i was done for but got thru the turn fine.

Then @Adventurous followed 5 seconds behind me, blew right through the turn and tumbled straight down the hillside.:D
There is a little rooty drop on one of the trails here, would be no big deal not for being narrow with significant exposure with an extremely steep fall down the side of the mountain. Signs of fresh dirt slides show that people go down it all the time. I have no shame in admitting I have never even attempted it. Risk-reward ratio is not worth it.