Quantcast

(‍◣‍_‍◢‍)‍ Thirst day (‍◣‍_‍◢‍)‍

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Master's degree in Advanced Coloring? :D
FKNA right, brocephus. Also known as "Graphic Design". Also it looks like the 2022 model is definitely orange, but the 2023 looks more red to me.

But now comes the most important decision - what bindings do I get?
Not Shifts, unless you definitely want to die. Also I'm useless in this regard... I know fuck all about alpine bindings. Or really any bindings, for that matter. Does anyone make red ones? Because you should get the red ones.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but the question is whether you need a lower DIN than 5 at your age and light weight

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What's your preferred way of riding that? I guess this question applies to @jstuhlman as well.
Best way is to park at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek. Ride some trails there, including bombing down Greens Lick. Then climb up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway and then connect to Spencer or Trace. After that you have to climb back up to BRP and back into Bent Creek. Takes about five hours or so.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Best way is to park at Rice Pinnacle in Bent Creek. Ride some trails there, including bombing down Greens Lick. Then climb up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway and then connect to Spencer or Trace. After that you have to climb back up to BRP and back into Bent Creek. Takes about five hours or so.
@Full Trucker I probably need to grab that Pisgah area map I gave you last year if you still have it somewhere. Will hopefully have a day or maybe two of riding there in early September on the way through.

I don't think I've ridden that particular section, I'd got this bookmarked, but it appears descending Trace should be done.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Full Trucker I probably need to grab that Pisgah area map I gave you last year if you still have it somewhere. Will hopefully have a day or maybe two of riding there in early September on the way through.

I don't think I've ridden that particular section, I'd got this bookmarked, but it appears descending Trace should be done.
Back in the early 2000s Trace was pretty mellow and used for DH training and shuttle runs. Serious speed but not technical. Nowadays it’s blown the fuck out and is as rough as it gets in Mill’s River. So much fun. Spencer got the IMBA treatment several years ago and Fletcher, if memory serves, is a mud bog. That’s why I suggested parking another mountain or two away and doing a bigger ride. Also if you take Sidehill up to the parkway instead of staying on Bent Creek road there’s a solid chance of seeing a black bear.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Thanks for the insight @AngryMetalsmith and @Dirtrider — not sure when or if I'll ever get back there but good to know. When we were out this past fall, we did a sort of 'double lap' that included full Spencer and full Trace. Basically, we climbed Wash Creek Rd. from NM CG to upper Spencer Gap, then took that over to the junction with Trace Ridge. We went down all of Spencer (Upper Spencer Branch and then Lower Spencer Gap and Branch). Pedaled some road (Henderson Reservoir?) back across to Wash Creek Rd., back up to upper Spencer Gap, and then down all of Trace Ridge. All in all, a super fun ride, but we found the lower parts of Spencer to be a little flat, overgrown, and boggy. Was kinda wondered if the move would have been to ride full Fletcher after upper Spencer Branch instead the lower Spencers.

Despite the reroute i.e. IMBAfication of upper Spencer Branch, I still thought it was a hoot and a half. Plenty of speed and some really fun corners and little rocky bits. And Trace Ridge? Fuggetaboutit. It's as fast as you are brave, and had some highly entertaining chundery bits and 'erosion control' features that you could send it pretty deep off of.

Good times.