Quantcast

☘☀⚠☢☠I Can Has Friday GMT☯♧⚔

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Ah Friday......I am picking up my new wheels after and the rest of the odds and ends I need to put my trail bike back together. I plan on riding the crap out of it this weekend. Now to strap on the PMA and blaze thru the work day.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
NO train or bike ride for me today. Have to meet the wife and youngest at the doctor for a consult on whether his is on the spectrum or not. I want to squeeze ride in this weekend, but I already have a lot on the docket.

Paint trim in the bathroom, lay floor in the bathroom, paint vanity in bathroom, install light, faucet and toilet in bathroom, boys night out on Saturday and a church thing on Sunday and car shopping.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning. Wonderful 100% humidity with occasional showers here, the air is visibly moist. Old friend from university arrived in town yesterday so no riding for me while he's with us. Office atmosphere is nuclear holocaust after yesterday's layoffs. Is it weekend, yet?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Lifted last night and I'm sore this morning. It sounds like the beater hardtail is rising again. @Nick has some brakes and an old racing buddy who is now a distributor for RST thinks he has a fork (from their high-end stuff) that will fit. I just need to scrounge up a lower cup for the HS an it's good to go.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! My solution to unpleasant things is to simply ignore them, kind of pisses off the people around me, my solution to that is to ignore them too. If that doesn't work I wear Spacehog sunglasses.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello FRIDAY! I have an 11:00 meeting that I am actually looking forward to. That never happens.

I pooled before work. 50 x 1 lap fast, with 10 second rests. That was tiring. :dead: (1:44 swim pace...middle of the pack speed...that's 52 seconds per lap)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
First casual race of the season last night. I opted out. I think I won. My ride was was pretty damned good.

Eying up a new hub to get a new front wheel built up for the trail bike. Are Spank hubs known to be terrible?

That train of thought got me thinking about my DH bike, which has a crappy Nukeproof front hub, which seems to either eat bearings, or has flared bearing cups or something. I can't get it to stay tight in the fork. For the price of used 26" wheels these days, it's not worth just buying a hub.

Hub question #2: are White Industries hubs any good?

Project progress meeting today, then pick up kids, then get haircut, then switch out my stem bolts for the Ti ones which finally showed up from Jye-na.

My stem preload bolt will now match the sweet stem cap @kazlx made me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That train of thought got me thinking about my DH bike, which has a crappy Nukeproof front hub, which seems to either eat bearings, or has flared bearing cups or something. I can't get it to stay tight in the fork. For the price of used 26" wheels these days, it's not worth just buying a hub.
Used set of Deemax in classifieds :D

Spank are supposed to be okay, wife has them on her DH bike but no great number of hours on them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hi all. I am not working this weekend. I am working today, however. I rode in at a very mellow pace, because that's how I felt like rolling. Ride home tonight should be wet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Used set of Deemax in classifieds :D

Spank are supposed to be okay, wife has them on her DH bike but no great number of hours on them.
I have a set of Spank's I got from Nick last summer that are holding up plenty well. That's all the feedback I have for you there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
sadly yes.

point of comparison - you can get a fully decked out bmx bike for $1400 or less, so idk why you'd go with this.

edit: fwiw MSRP on that frame is $770, and the cheapest pike is $600. so you're around $1400 for just frame / fork.
Who the hell pays retail?

I have had some very sick DJ bikes in my years and I think my most expensive one was my Endless and that was about $1200 with hand built wheels.

<edit>

/cheapbastard

OK, seriously, this is pimp.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
'mornin everyone. Internet was down at work till now. But I still wasn't productive.

got my first real ride in last night. it was awesome. the perennial wet spots are wet, but the rest was bone dry. Once the trees bud and the leaves pop out, it's going to suck all that standing water up like a sponge. finally, spring is here.

I had a shit night's sleep and was still really sore from the workout, so my form wasn't the best, but it was still awesome to be on dirt. Cut my bars down to 770mm (from 800), and it made a yuge difference. I could feel the lack of stability a bit in the highspeed rock gardens, but it was worth it for the improved control in the tight and twistys. Got told off by a roadie that the park is officially closed until May 15th (which is technically true) and that I was ruining it for "the rest of us". Sanctimonious pricks. But whatever, those trails are illegal anyways, so what does it matter when I ride them?!?! :D And besides, the park is closed to bikes until May 15th. The rules don't differentiate between road and trails... I am now officially the last in my crew to be on 26". Doesn't help my cause that I'm also the slowest. @kidwoo , I need some of those stickers... you have any more lying around?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Met a neighbor, yesterday, for the first time. She was friendly and chatty. She asked if I drove the red car, parked on the street. I said yes. Then she asked if I really had a handicapped plate and a license plate frame that says something about "I'd rather be mountain biking." I said yes, then told her the backstory.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

The weather is banging and supposed to be all (or most of) next week. Hoping to get some ride time in this weekend with the pooch, might even try to hike with her. I don't want to get too excited because I still need to work on the car. But I did get the belt and tensioner changed yesterday (but I have to take the belt back off to do the AC belt and tensioner).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Different situation..

Sounds like there was a poacher telling another poacher to not poach.
yea, that was my understanding.

my home trails are el poacho as well. i frequently have to tell people not to fuck shit up for everyone else by building rogue trails, being a general dick to other trail users, riding in poor conditions (thaw cycles), etc.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Riding my bike in an hour - YAY!

School called - Kid #1 bumped friend while playing wall ball - friend hit his knee on the blacktop. My kid gets punished with punitive sit alone at lunch deal. Wife threatened them and taunted their 'positive approach' to discipline. Kid #1 is now eating lunch with secretary instead. Guess this whole zero tolerance thing lives on in our fine institutions...

Anyhoo, School talent show tonight, Kid is going full storm trooper costume while playing the Imperial March on trumpet! Doing a more basic version than this: