Quantcast

☘☀⚠☢☠I Can Has Friday GMT☯♧⚔

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I chose to walk the 7 blocks to Tito's for my breakfast burrito rather than try the cart that is only 3 blocks away. There are 4 carts in a parking lot I never really noticed before. One is a Thai cart, too, so I might try it eventually. But rather than chance it on a suck day such as this, I chose the walk for assurance of awesome.

Maybe it is my new found old age fussiness?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I pretend I am poaching legal trails. Poaching rule 1) No Interaction with anyone. 2) When confronted ride away as fast as you can. 3) Plan your escape....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
if yer poachin', don't fuck it up for everyone else, dick. my home trails are the same way.
yea, that was my understanding.

my home trails are el poacho as well. i frequently have to tell people not to fuck shit up for everyone else by building rogue trails, being a general dick to other trail users, riding in poor conditions (thaw cycles), etc.
while the second response is technically true, no one gives a shit if roadies ride the road, even before the season officially opens.

But the first one is also true. the problem is that we've been banging our heads against a wall for over 20 years with the authority that oversees the park. They banned bikes in the mid- to late-90s. We've formed advocacy groups, we've tried to be good citizens, we've tried to work through the system. Eventually, you just give up, it's not worth fighting anymore. Or you let someone else take over. I spent at least 15 years of my life trying to move the ball down the field, and they don't give a shit. There's so many trails (over 500 kms of trail) that they can't possibly even begin to enforce them. I've been fined 2x in almost 30 years of riding there, so I'll take my lumps and carry on. It's not like the land manager actually cares about mountain biking one way or another.

I also like to think that I'm aware of trail conditions, and I won't ride until the trails are ready to be ridden. Because they're not sanctioned trails, you can't do any real trail maintenance on them, so it's in everyone's best interest to not fuck them up too badly. And no one is really building new trails, we have plenty of trail already, so there's no need.

It sucks because the riding here could definitely be world class, but you take what you can get I guess. And go on road trips. A few of my buddies got back from Allegripis on Wednesday night. Said they were some of the best they'd ever ridden... so hat's off to you.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
while the second response is technically true, no one gives a shit if roadies ride the road, even before the season officially opens.

But the first one is also true. the problem is that we've been banging our heads against a wall for over 20 years with the authority that oversees the park. They banned bikes in the mid- to late-90s. We've formed advocacy groups, we've tried to be good citizens, we've tried to work through the system. Eventually, you just give up, it's not worth fighting anymore. Or you let someone else take over. I spent at least 15 years of my life trying to move the ball down the field, and they don't give a shit. There's so many trails (over 500 kms of trail) that they can't possibly even begin to enforce them. I've been fined 2x in almost 30 years of riding there, so I'll take my lumps and carry on. It's not like the land manager actually cares about mountain biking one way or another.

I also like to think that I'm aware of trail conditions, and I won't ride until the trails are ready to be ridden. Because they're not sanctioned trails, you can't do any real trail maintenance on them, so it's in everyone's best interest to not fuck them up too badly. And no one is really building new trails, we have plenty of trail already, so there's no need.

It sucks because the riding here could definitely be world class, but you take what you can get I guess. And go on road trips. A few of my buddies got back from Allegripis on Wednesday night. Said they were some of the best they'd ever ridden... so hat's off to you.
yea, there's always more to the story. my spot, offroad biking is banned de facto as it's federal property. but there's a myriad of factors at play. the tl;dr version is that mtb is tolerated as long as they don't ruffle anyones feathers (no rogue trail building, no jumps, respectful treatment of other use groups). if you want the long version, PM me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Battle with the rental company is starting to get fun. Things started with them demanding an additional months rent despite me giving more than twice the required notice. I cited the lease and state law proving I have no additional financial responsibility, they are just trying to be bullies. While reviewing the lease I noted language that implied that I am not responsible for paying utilities. Managed to turn the conversation around to them owing me money. I don't expect to get any money out of them but sometimes the sun just shines a little brighter when you can be a technically correct asshole to a bunch of con-artists.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Battle with the rental company is starting to get fun. Things started with them demanding an additional months rent despite me giving more than twice the required notice. I cited the lease and state law proving I have no additional financial responsibility, they are just trying to be bullies. While reviewing the lease I noted language that implied that I am not responsible for paying utilities. Managed to turn the conversation around to them owing me money. I don't expect to get any money out of them but sometimes the sun just shines a little brighter when you can be a technically correct asshole to a bunch of con-artists.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've been fined 2x in almost 30 years of riding there, so I'll take my lumps and carry on. It's not like the land manager actually cares about mountain biking one way or another.
Balls dude!

That's something that I have never witnessed or have had happen to myself. And until we started travelling to trails, literally all the areas we grew up riding were all illegal. Though we did get a few firm warnings and got kicked out of a local University of Toronto research area.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When I first moved here, I happened to mention to someone at work I was thinking about going mountain biking in Palmer Park, only to be told that I ought "be careful there". Back in the day, Palmer used to be notorious for exactly this sort of activity. Its situated almost exactly in the middle of town. A town known for its deep, deep, red politics and as being the center of the Evangelical Christian movement of the late 90's and 2000's. Poor, repressed, Colorado Springs. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@monarchs post in the what are you listening to thread prompted me to score a front row ticket to the deftones in june...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When I first moved here, I happened to mention to someone at work I was thinking about going mountain biking in Palmer Park, only to be told that I ought "be careful there". Back in the day, Palmer used to be notorious for exactly this sort of activity. Its situated almost exactly in the middle of town. A town known for its deep, deep, red politics and as being the center of the Evangelical Christian movement of the late 90's and 2000's. Poor, repressed, Colorado Springs. :rofl:
Nothing says deeply religious and conservative like anonymous gay hookups in unconventional places. Bonus points for under age participants!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Nothing says deeply religious and conservative like anonymous gay hookups in unconventional places. Bonus points for under age participants!
If there is a stereotype for that, it may have originated here. Bonus bonus points if you can work in a bag of meth.

Bonus story: I was riding in the canyon with a couple folks who turned out to be reporters from the Gazette the day the Ted Haggard/gay "masseur"/meth story broke. That was fun. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, last interview of the day and then it is time to start drinking.

Have an issue trying to get the kids car registered. I have a ton of paperwork going back 3 owners, but there is no sale paper showing a transfer of ownership from 2-3, only from 1-2 and from 3 to us. The term "car dealer" was used extremely lose on this one, I guess.

Camp's all blocked out, ready for polyurethane insulation spraying. This being Vermont, no contracts or whatever, just "the key's hid under the porch".

Busting up an ancient cold frame that was built like a brick shithouse. Salvaging what pressure treated wood I can.

First day I feel some sunburn. Maple trees are flowering.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
While I was out digging got a call that my friend Mike passed away early this morning after a year plus battle with brain cancer. One of the most beautiful human beings I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

Fuck you Cancer !!

Haven't read any of the previous posts in the GMT but I hope all my monkey brethren are doing well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not only did my dad somehow put chocolate chips in the coffee grinder today, but it was not until he put them in the coffee maker, made "coffee," and tried to drink it that he realized the error of his ways. :blink: :disgust1:

also, when my parents visit they literally just hover around us and watch everything we're doing like some sort of scientific observers. they also poke into everything, bicker with each other, and continually make random/annoying/bizarre comments.

all of this is not new.

the plane to take them back to portland cannot come fast enough. saturday, y u not monday?!?!?!?!

dang @AngryMetalsmith - sorry to hear than man.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
not only did my dad somehow put chocolate chips in the coffee grinder today, but it was not until he put them in the coffee maker, made "coffee," and tried to drink it that he realized the error of his ways. :blink: :disgust1:

also, when my parents visit they literally just hover around us and watch everything we're doing like some sort of scientific observers. they also poke into everything, bicker with each other, and continually make random/annoying/bizarre comments.

all of this is not new.

the plane to take them back to portland cannot come fast enough. saturday, y u not monday?!?!?!?!

dang @AngryMetalsmith - sorry to hear than man.
My parents are 70 and 71 and are also intensely interested in everything we do, they constantly bicker and seem to plan their lives around Starbucks and Kohl's cash... it doesn't bother me too much anymore, I am happy they are alive and healthy.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I pretend I am poaching legal trails. Poaching rule 1) No Interaction with anyone. 2) When confronted ride away as fast as you can. 3) Plan your escape....
This is pretty much how gnomes build trails. Except when surprised by inquisitive other trail users, gnome mind tricks are used and they don't remember seeing anyone digging and continue on their way.