Quantcast

︎●︎◆︎♌︎ ♑︎□︎♓︎■︎♑︎ ◆︎◻︎ on a thursday!♑︎♏︎⧫︎ ♍︎❒︎◆︎■︎

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hacked together a patch of the leaking fuel line in ze Beetle and drove it to a shop without any incident. Patched the tire I pinch flatted yesterday with bacon strips. We shall see how well the fix is holding later today.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yea, never again.

Though if I do Ill just put an alligator clip on one end of the cable connected to the positive terminal of the battery. Let the potential thief ride the lightning first.

Ooooh 12volts. Super scary.

You will want a buck boost converter and some large capacitors.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
buddy's bike got stolen last night. brand new bronson. was on his hitch rack in his apartment complex's gated garage. lock got cut while he was taking groceries up and taking a shower. no cameras in the lot.
:stosh:

trying to be productive. the struggle is real.
That sucks. Keep looking for it. Granted smaller community up this ways, but we found my buddies Pivot six months after it was stolen from the back of his truck.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, Happy Day After Tax Day to any of you whom that matters!
this was a killer tax season for wifey, but she picked up 30% more clients, and was able to get it all done.
much relief.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Lower dw link on my Turner Burner is worn to the extent that the set of bushings I put in last August are worn out already, lots of play.

Then today I blew out a section on my rear Industry Nine Torch hub flange (non boost), two spoke holes gone.

Likely can't get a new link from Turner and I don't want to spend the monies buying another non-boost 142 rear hub.

Not good timing when wifey is still of work due to becoming covid unemployed.

7 1/2 years of good times on the trail bike might be coming to an end...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Nothing four wheeling in the suburban, realizing you are glad to have 4x4 and locking rear end, cause you are dragging side bars and bumpers cause you can't turn around cause the wheel base is WAY too long and you should have brought the short wheel base pick up with better tires......

Only had to back down about a mile when I was eleven miles in so I could turn around

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Lower dw link on my Turner Burner is worn to the extent that the set of bushings I put in last August are worn out already, lots of play.

Then today I blew out a section on my rear Industry Nine Torch hub flange (non boost), two spoke holes gone.

Likely can't get a new link from Turner and I don't want to spend the monies buying another non-boost 142 rear hub.

I can lend you a 142 wheel in the meantime, but yea, sounds like it's time.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

You need a new, black, satanic t-shirt, don’t you?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Almost ended myself on the bike today. Luckily the tree I hit head-on at the bottom of a steep rocky descent bent like a palm tree in a tropical storm. This is not my week.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Picture of said link? Seems like a quick reaming and either an oversized bushing or a press for shin should fix it. Also, almost a year out of a set of bushings doesn’t seem terrible, doing nothing and just replacing the bushings sounds like a viable option.

Non boost i9 wheels should be practically free these days, worth scoping the PB classifieds anyway.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

That the two piece, feminine pad shaped link?

If you can't track one down, I'm sure you could get one machined for reasonable monies. I know a guy in Boulder that might be able to do that if so.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Picture of said link? Seems like a quick reaming and either an oversized bushing or a press for shin should fix it. Also, almost a year out of a set of bushings doesn’t seem terrible, doing nothing and just replacing the bushings sounds like a viable option.

Non boost i9 wheels should be practically free these days, worth scoping the PB classifieds anyway.
The inner faces which rub against the outside of the bushing have worn, hard to get a shim in there because the rest of the link is still the same thickness and it's tight to slide over the bushings.

I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow. Also going to throw a hail mary and see if I9 have got any old 32h non-boost classic torch hub shells taking up space on a shelf.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The inner faces which rub against the outside of the bushing have worn, hard to get a shim in there because the rest of the link is still the same thickness and it's tight to slide over the bushings.

I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow. Also going to throw a hail mary and see if I9 have got any old 32h non-boost classic torch hub shells taking up space on a shelf.
dude. one ben franklin: https://etteonil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18706&zenid=21g2eaq1krn73bjlb4b40drvt5

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Looks legit :/

I'm not sure if there's a hub shell difference between a "road" hub and mountain, I realize I can swap the freehub, but if the flange measurements are different then I likely also need all new spokes.
According to this spoke calculator the road and MTB versions are different:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
According to this spoke calculator the road and MTB versions are different:

Yeah, I9 website has the sizes as different and that website isn't remotely legit anyway, I think @jstuhlman is trying to scam me out of a Benjamin :D

I just emailed I9 to see if they have any old Torch MTN 142 hub shells sitting on a shelf with a drive ring installed that I can transfer my axle/freehub and endcaps to.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Would a shim fix it? If so, maybe a "T" bushing with a flange to take up the room, or just use a dab of grease to hold the shim in place while assembling the frame?

i9 may actually have some, or know where to look. When I was trying to figure out how to carry my non boost wheelset over to my boost Egg frame they said tons of people are just sending in wheels for hub shell swaps and that's what they recommended I do. Ended up just buying all new wheels, or I'd have a shell to give you, but those other unwanted non-boost hub shells have to still exist somewhere, right? Although I imagine the majority are from full i9 wheels, not the regular flanged hubs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Would a shim fix it? If so, maybe a "T" bushing with a flange to take up the room, or just use a dab of grease to hold the shim in place while assembling the frame?

i9 may actually have some, or know where to look. When I was trying to figure out how to carry my non boost wheelset over to my boost Egg frame they said tons of people are just sending in wheels for hub shell swaps and that's what they recommended I do. Ended up just buying all new wheels, or I'd have a shell to give you, but those other unwanted non-boost hub shells have to still exist somewhere, right? Although I imagine the majority are from full i9 wheels, not the regular flanged hubs.
If I'm understanding what you're calling a t-bushing, that's what the system already uses. The tolerance is so tight on the one piece linkage that sliding it over the bushings which are holding the pivot shafts in place has zero free space. The faces of the bushing have worn away the flat faces on the linkage - but not right to the edge.

I guess if I had the skillset and the tools you could face the inside of the linkage flat where it pivots against the bushing, giving space to then somehow take up the slack with a beer can shim.

edit: obviously the linkage needs to remain the same dimension for the face where the pivot shaft is clamped...
1-Piece_Link_Kit_01.jpg

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
If I'm understanding what you're calling a t-bushing, that's what the system already uses. The tolerance is so tight on the one piece linkage that sliding it over the bushings which are holding the pivot shafts in place has zero free space. The faces of the bushing have worn away the flat faces on the linkage - but not right to the edge.

I guess if I had the skillset and the tools you could face the inside of the linkage flat where it pivots against the bushing, giving space to then somehow take up the slack with a beer can shim.
View attachment 147576
Best thing I ever did was buy a used jewelers lathe (Sherline 4000) for making little one-off pieces for things like this. Machine it out of brass, nickel plate it and viola. I don't use it often, but when I do, it is indispensable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

edit: obviously the linkage needs to remain the same dimension for the face where the pivot shaft is clamped...
View attachment 147576
How much wear is there and it even? If so a brass washer could be turned and ground to fit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Awesome news for me \o/

Traded emails with Dave Turner and he'd still got spare 1-piece linkages, so a new lower linkage kit like the image above is on the way apart from the custom T40 bolts as he doesn't have those. Not a problem as I can reuse my existing.

Industry Nine also still had an appropriate sized Torch hub shell with drive ring, so I've got one of those about to be on the way too.

Should have the bike up and running for minimal outlay, just a wheel re-lace to do once the hub shell arrives. I've been pondering what I'd like as my next trail bike and had full permission from wife to buy whatever I wanted. But far happier in the current climate to repair what I've got.