Quantcast

(~0~)Fiveayembob Monday (~0~)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Two people I know have now died in avalanches - one at Jackson Hole, one at Berthoud Pass.

This morning started off with me telling Wifey that we can check out from working at 55 if we keep doing what we're doing; maybe a little earlier if we're more frugal even. Versus 1hr ago "hey do you know [skier]? He might be one of your clients." Which I was able to just confirm, sadly.

Mortality checks in loudly as you get older.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
went for a family hike, picked up new dishwasher, now sipping an imperial porter. wife starts new job tomorrow; kids have one more day off so i will work from home and maybe convince the 12yo to go for a ride with me since it's supposed to be 65* again.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have lost 7 friends/acquaintenances to avalanches since '91. (People I either was friends with, or skied/ridden with). I am super duper paranoid out of respect to their memories. Sorry to hear, Stoney.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have lost 7 friends/acquaintenances to avalanches since '91. (People I either was friends with, or skied/ridden with). I am super duper paranoid out of respect to their memories. Sorry to hear, Stoney.
did you know any of the tahoe bros that died on the ridge out to cody peak about......7-8? years ago?

They were with that shralph macchio dork?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Nope, thankfully had no part of that clusterfuck. Did lose one bro inbounds a long time ago, Johnny Haas. Curiously, his beacon exploded on a rock impact (that probably also killed him) .

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Curiously, his beacon exploded on a rock impact (that probably also killed him) .
Jesus......

I bit my tongue so hard for years when that shralph idiot would lecture other people about avalanches and avy safety. Being the one idiot there who did what he did with the conditions they did them in. I ran into that dude at one of mountain passes here when the road opened for spring. He's even dumber and more out of place in nature than you'd think.

Part of me on a snowmobile is just to get as far away as possible from idiots like that.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nope, thankfully had no part of that clusterfuck. Did lose one bro inbounds a long time ago, Johnny Haas. Curiously, his beacon exploded on a rock impact (that probably also killed him) .
Jesus...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hej Woo, anything to do with this?
Snowblowing accident, not a Tesla exploding, though.
Given he has his own industrial sized snow blower, I'm going to guess he went off the edge of the driveway by accident.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I don't know or care who he is, but he apparently ran over his leg...
He was inexplicably in one of the later Bourne movies instead of actual Bourne. He’s also Hawkeye

Re running over his leg: I can imagine the gore. Yikes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Work was a cluster fuck this afternoon. Clients not home, families picking folks up from Dialysis early and not bothering to cancel the transport. lots of driving around in the rain for nothing. I did spend and hour tonight lifting weights followed by some leftover pizza slices and cold beer so there is that silver lining.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Meanwhile hills here have had to close because of all the rain. :rofl:

Look at this awesome snow coverage at a local hill, screenshot this about 30 seconds ago. :brows:
View attachment 187116
Similar situation over here. We had so much rain. Landslides and all sorts of shit. Chairlift pillons sliding down mountains, etc.
So, I cleared a few rocks and fallen branches from the trails and we will let bikes on the tram with skiers starting tomorrow. Yesterday the dirt was real gud!

Last year around this time we were riding deep powder under this lift. This pic was from yesterday.
9B391D0B-60C7-4D84-9633-BF2A6EFB7FDB.jpeg

The wife
B86C6348-48CD-4844-9A37-8BCD1E613CAF.jpeg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Similar situation over here. We had so much rain. Landslides and all sorts of shit. Chairlift pillons sliding down mountains, etc.
So, I cleared a few rocks and fallen branches from the trails and we will let bikes on the tram with skiers starting tomorrow. Yesterday the dirt was real gud!

Last year around this time we were riding deep powder under this lift. This pic was from yesterday.
View attachment 187167
Jeezus. That's fuckin' terrible for the 1st week of January. :(

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody watch Buffalo-Cincinatti? Holy Shit! WTF kind of day is today? Death is staring the year hot!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Surprisednotsurprised.
the dumb cop description doesn't make a whole lot of sense

He's a big sledder and I didn't know him but some friends who do have been trying to figure out what actually happened. Seemed like a nice guy

About the only thing that could have happened with that description is if he looped out and the bars hit him squarely in the sternum/heart. He's no beginner though, that seems unlikely.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anybody watch Buffalo-Cincinatti? Holy Shit! WTF kind of day is today? Death is staring the year hot!
Today in "what did people think would happen?" we have testosterone over-muscled males repeatedly crashing into each other...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the dumb cop description doesn't make a whole lot of sense

He's a big sledder and I didn't know him but some friends who do have been trying to figure out what actually happened. Seemed like a nice guy

About the only thing that could have happened with that description is if he looped out and the bars hit him squarely in the sternum/heart. He's no beginner though, that seems unlikely.
Looped out... Stuck and smothered?