Quantcast

05 Kona Stinky supreme

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Its a wild bike. but the way I look at it whay not pay $500 more and get the Stab supreme.

its the same frame and you get a $200 pedal upgrade that you can eithier keep or swap for a set of less expencive flats and have some extra money for a new helmet or gloves or somthing.

the Stab sup's paint looks (IMO) WAY!! WAY!! better than the stinky sup's the glossy red white and blue just makes the bike look so much more worth the coin (IT looks like a world cup racer) than the flat grey of the stinky sup. the grey just makes it look like a cheaper bike than it is.

and yes ive seen both bike in person

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I own a Stab Supreme and I actually like the look of the Stinky better. However my bike comes with better tubing and the different pedals and seat. The pedals are only worth 110 bucks so I'm not sure what he's talking about. Both have the same spec sheet for everything including shocks. Originally they were going to put the 7" 888 on the STAB Supreme and the 8" on the Stinky but they changed their mind. So it really comes down to the color scheme and if it is worth it to you to have DH tubing over the regular CLUMP aluminum.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Rik said:
So the only real difference between the two is aesthetics, and weight? I wonder how much a few hundred grams is really worth...
It is more than just that. The regular pivot for the Stinky is welded on at the seat tube. The pivot for the Supreme has its on cross member. I cannot be certain, but I would have to imagine a separate tube is stronger than using the seat tube.

I do wonder about the rear triangle however. It looks funky, but I never understood if its design had any other purpose.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
The differences:

The Stab Supreme has "DH" aluminum tubing, where as the Stinky Supreme has "Clump" 7005 series aluminum tubing. I dunno what that means exactly, but I gotta assume the DH tubing will save a little bit of weight.

The Stab Supreme comes with an FSA Pig DH Pro headset (sealed cartridge bearings), where as the Stinky Supreme only has an FSA Pig headset (loose ball bearings).

The Stab Supreme is adjustable between 8 and 9 inches of travel. The Stinky Supreme is limited to 8 inches of travel.

The Stab Supreme comes with Shimano PD-M646 clipless pedals. The Stinky Supreme comes with Kona platform pedals.

The Stab Supreme comes with Tioga White Tiger 2.5" tires. The Stinky Supreme comes with Nokian NBX 2.5" tires.

The Stab Supreme comes with a bolt-on seat collar. The Stinky Supreme comes with a QR seat collar.

And finally, the Stab Supreme retails for US $4500. The Stinky Supreme retails for US $4000.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
I would go with the Stab Supreme...I have seen it in action, that is a nice ride! I took it for a quick spin and it feels great, much better than my Stinky.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Dirt rider said:
...I would spring for the stab sup because I like its loks better.
You'd spend an extra $500 just for a paint job, a nicer headset, some clipless pedals, and a 1 lb weight penalty over the Stinky? :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dexterq20 said:
The differences:

The Stab Supreme has "DH" aluminum tubing, where as the Stinky Supreme has "Clump" 7005 series aluminum tubing. I dunno what that means exactly, but I gotta assume the DH tubing will save a little bit of weight.

The Stab Supreme comes with an FSA Pig DH Pro headset (sealed cartridge bearings), where as the Stinky Supreme only has an FSA Pig headset (loose ball bearings).

The Stab Supreme is adjustable between 8 and 9 inches of travel. The Stinky Supreme is limited to 8 inches of travel.

The Stab Supreme comes with Shimano PD-M646 clipless pedals. The Stinky Supreme comes with Kona platform pedals.

The Stab Supreme comes with Tioga White Tiger 2.5" tires. The Stinky Supreme comes with Nokian NBX 2.5" tires.

The Stab Supreme comes with a bolt-on seat collar. The Stinky Supreme comes with a QR seat collar.

And finally, the Stab Supreme retails for US $4500. The Stinky Supreme retails for US $4000.
What the F? You work in a Kona shop?

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
dexterq20 said:
You'd spend an extra $500 just for a paint job, a nicer headset, some clipless pedals, and a 1 lb weight penalty over the Stinky? :think:

Yes. when your spending that much money if $500 will get you some better parts and you dig the pain more sure. if it was an $1000 diff and the spec was the same then yah I can live with grey paint. or Id buy a diffrent brand

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'd say go for the stab supreme. But, whatever you choose, please change the guide set-up! The lower idler will be gone in about 5 seconds... :dead: It appears that the upper boomerang arm is tilted rearward to avoid a bolt, but i'm not sure.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
you could get a custom paint job for less than that

I am trying to figure out why kona decided to make 2 of the same bike. I thought stinky's always came with a granny gear for climbing.

also the travel is not adjustable, and neither is the wheel base on either, ne swingarm dropouts

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the travel on the stab, and kona hasn't said anything about it, so I don't know where that came from.

And....

White Tiger Tires SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!!!! The nokions are way better, I rode white tigers for a while and all they did was cause me to wreck all the time.

Also, the flat paint on the stinky looks better than the flashy stab paint job IMO, but my favorite bike color is flat black so I'm a little biased.

500 bucks is a big difference, especially when both frames have the same warranty.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Well, I stand corrected. The stab does have "8-9" of travel" as stated on their website, i'd never seen that before in the catalogs. Cool.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
i'll most likely be buying a Stinky Supreme this season so i did quite a bit of research on it the past couple of weeks and it looks like a great bike.

it might be a tad heavier than the Stab but i like the paint-scheme on the Stinky a LOT better than the red,white and blue on the Stab. it seems pretty flashy and doesn't actually look all that good-i'd much rather have the battleship grey and you've GOT to have BLACK ::evil::

Shiver

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Montreal, Qc, Canada
dexterq20 said:
The differences:

Lame.. for that money get a custom....

My Banshee Scream with top of the line parts build is exactly 4200$ U.S..... I would take my Banshee over a Kona...

And you should consider getting a FR frame cuz DH frames are made from lighter thiner tubing so they break more easily and the frames are always tuned by a 10 ppl tech team....

+ Konas break alot if you use them really hard....

Go banshee or Demo....

Shiver

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Racer-X said:
i'll most likely be buying a Stinky Supreme this season so i did quite a bit of research on it the past couple of weeks and it looks like a great bike.

it might be a tad heavier than the Stab but i like the paint-scheme on the Stinky a LOT better than the red,white and blue on the Stab. it seems pretty flashy and doesn't actually look all that good-i'd much rather have the battleship grey and you've GOT to have BLACK ::evil::
Thats a crappy reason... get the Stab Supreme and get it painted... Wood Camo!!

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I was looking at and playing with a complete stinky supreme the other day at my LBS, here's what I noticed:

-The floating brake linkage only has one forward mount (the lower one you see in pics ONLY), there's not even a place to put a second, higher mount.

-There's no way to run a brake without the floater- e.g. no mounts on the frame.

-There's no place to mount a brake therapy forward mount to make the rear braking feel somewhat normal, unless you bolt it to the seat post.

-You can't clock the E-13 guide roller up very far without having to modify the top of the boomerang and top plastic guide, the swingarm pivot is right in the way.

-The new hayes carbon levers feel really good (first time i've felt them).

-The paint does look really cool in person.

Despite the odd braking configuration I'd still buy one. Ride one, and if you like the way the rear end feels then go for it.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
juice said:
Do you guys know if its possible to throw a derailleur and dual rings up front?
There's no room to clamp one to the seat tube, and I don't think an e-type would fit around the swingarm pivot either. If you want two front rings then buy the stinky deelux- or better yet buy mine (... shameless plug....).

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
Shiver said:
Thats a crappy reason... get the Stab Supreme and get it painted... Wood Camo!!

And the Shiver is a crappy fork...

that isn't true,but neither is what you said.

they are both the EXACT same bike,minus a few very very minor details. i'd rather have flat pedals than clipless,and i've already got a better headset to put on anyways.

why would i spend the extra money again?

according to some people,i'll have to use that money i saved to buy a replacement frame after the first week of riding :rolleyes:

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
zane said:
no room to clamp one to the seat tube, and I don't think an e-type would fit
I could run the inner plate style ghetto chainguide setup where you change to granny by hand to grunt up the climbs, so this bike is still looking sweet to me. Freeriding around here you have to be able to climb logging roads.

I was looking at the sizing/geo, at its REALLY odd. Kona's site lists the M as a 24.4 top tube, and L as a 25.4 TT. That's crazy long. I like about a 24 TT which is usually a L in other bikes. You guys who own this bike, hows the sizing feel to you? Would I want a M when I usually run a Large? I called every LBS in the area, and no one keeps the Supreme's in stock, so test riding might be a bit hard.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Just got my '05 Stab Supreme frame in this weekend. As for the differences in the Stinky and Stab frames - there are none as far as I could tell based on spec. I preferred the red/white/blue so I opted for the Stab Sup.

Things to note:

• Make sure you re-loctite, and tension, all of your bolts. My lower shock mount bolt was quasi-loose and needed some blue loctite treatment.

• There is no provision for a conventionally mounted rear brake. I suspect that you may see an alternate seat stay become available at some point this year, although the floater construction is pretty burly while not being extremely heavy.

• Hub options: As the frame comes, you can only run the Sun 150mm hub. Place the thin spacer on the outboard side of the floater, and the thicker one between the hub and floater (mine didn't arrive this way). Otherwise, you'll have a clearance issue with the rotor bolts. Also another point - either way, you need to use Hayes (or equivalent) low profile rotor bolts to avoid interference with the floater. All in all, the assembly, once together, is VERY solid and well contained - as opposed to other floaters I've seen/ridden (think Chumba Zulu dangling floater).

• With a "shortened" non-drive side axle, a Hadley 150mm would easily work with the right spacer configuration. I unfortuntately sold mine before the frame arrived, but the fix to make it work would be pretty easy with a couple of tools.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the construction of the frame. Although the frame is "burley" I'm still anticipating a 40-42lb build. This is my first Kona and my first (personal) floater bike, and I'm really psyched to get it on it! Looks like the maiden voyage will be Windrock in Mid-April.

Thanks goes out to my new co-sponsor this season: Gravity Warehouse (www.gravitywarehouse.com) in Southwick, Mass! I took last year off from racing to have some family time, and Seth was happy to help get me back on a bike this season!

Thanks again and I'll post some complete build pictures this week.

JF

Dec 14, 2004
I'm very curious about the floater. I happen to be in the same boat as some of the people in here. I am looking at both the stinky and the stab supreme. The part spec is fairly similar and I like the stinky color better but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Also I tried to find something on the differnce between the two metals used in the tubing (ie kona clump dh aluminum and the kona clump 7005 aluminum) if any one could help me out that would be great. Also for those of you talking about the e13 chainguide, I had a DRS on my stinky dee and the shop had to customize it(take off the top part) but it looks like if you rotated it fairly far foward (the top peice) past the pivot point you might be ok clearance wise.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
HGR Frucci said:
Just got my '05 Stab Supreme frame in this weekend. As for the differences in the Stinky and Stab frames - there are none as far as I could tell based on spec. I preferred the red/white/blue so I opted for the Stab Sup.

Things to note:

• Make sure you re-loctite, and tension, all of your bolts. My lower shock mount bolt was quasi-loose and needed some blue loctite treatment.

• There is no provision for a conventionally mounted rear brake. I suspect that you may see an alternate seat stay become available at some point this year, although the floater construction is pretty burly while not being extremely heavy.[/list
    • Hub options: As the frame comes, you can only run the Sun 150mm hub. Place the thin spacer on the outboard side of the floater, and the thicker one between the hub and floater (mine didn't arrive this way). Otherwise, you'll have a clearance issue with the rotor bolts. Also another point - either way, you need to use Hayes (or equivalent) low profile rotor bolts to avoid interference with the floater. All in all, the assembly, once together, is VERY solid and well contained - as opposed to other floaters I've seen/ridden (think Chumba Zulu dangling floater).
    • With a "shortened" non-drive side axle, a Hadley 150mm would easily work with the right spacer configuration. I unfortuntately sold mine before the frame arrived, but the fix to make it work would be pretty easy with a couple of tools.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the construction of the frame. Although the frame is "burley" I'm still anticipating a 40-42lb build. This is my first Kona and my first (personal) floater bike, and I'm really psyched to get it on it! Looks like the maiden voyage will be Windrock in Mid-April.

Thanks goes out to my new co-sponsor this season: Gravity Warehouse (www.gravitywarehouse.com) in Southwick, Mass! I took last year off from racing to have some family time, and Seth was happy to help get me back on a bike this season!

Thanks again and I'll post some complete build pictures this week.
    JF
  • By any chance do you know Scott Lommele? Hes sponsored by them.... Well, for me its between the stinky supreme or sunday team. (im sponsored by cutting edge in berlin Ct) I cant decide, i mean, the stinky is soo sexy in person, but comes at a weight penalty that i really dont want at 5'10 135lbs... Im so exited, my lbs became a IH dealer just wednesday so i will be the first one from them to get an IH... :thumb:

snide

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Seattle
I'm jumping in late, but am stoked to talk to some Kona riders. Just picked up a new 05 Stinky Supreme frame set to build up over the winter. The flat camo paint is awesome looking, but straight out of the box mine has a big scratch on the top tube. DOH! I've got a few questions for everyone on my build.

What size BB are people running on this frame with the e.13 SRS guide ?

I'm having a hard time with the alignment of the e.13's lower pulley. The instructions say to have the tab flush with the bash guard but I can't seem to get it perfectly flush. Anyone else have this problem or suggestions on how many spacers to use?

The rear brake hose seems to be a really long run 5.5' + Hope hoses are only 5' new. What are people running for hoses?

How does the bike change according to the floaters positioning? Earlier someone mentioned it makes the bike "squat" What does that mean?

Any other tricks?

I'm running 05 stinky sup with 200mm 888 RC, King HS, Hadley front and the sun ringle in the rear.

Should be a much better Whistler bike than my Bullit. See you on the trail

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
snide said:
The rear brake hose seems to be a really long run 5.5' + Hope hoses are only 5' new. What are people running for hoses?

How does the bike change according to the floaters positioning? Earlier someone mentioned it makes the bike "squat" What does that mean?

Any other tricks?
Using the '05 Avid Juicy 7 brakes straight out of the box I have about 2-3" too much hose for my rear brake which results in me having to do some totally messed up zip-tying/cable routing near the handlebars until I can get the hose cut. It is a fairly direct route to the rear brake from the headtube so it's common to put on more cable than it necessary. I haven't measured it, but for a medium frame knock about 2-3" off whatever the stock length is for an 8" rear Juicy 7.

If you have two floating brake mounts on the bike, use the top one if you want the bike neutral and active (if that makes sense) under braking, and lower if you want the rear end of the bike to squat into corners (reverse effect). There's another "can-o-worms" thread about this exact thing in the DH forum somewhere if you want to see everyone flaming each other over it.

Tricks - keep the shock bolts tight on both ends. Not sure why, but they do seem to like loosening themselves up quite a bit. Also run your seat more forward on the rails since the linkage plate can hit it on bottom out if you keep it too low.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i have always liked the stinky, and i am thinking that the fraems, are almost identical, with the exception of the color. the stab might be lighter, but the price youd have to pay makes the sytinky looks like a great buy as well

snide

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Seattle
Right on, thanks bomber! My frame is a medium and I ordered the new Hope braided brake lines and 5' seems to be too short. I'll mess around with the routing and see if I can get it to fit cleanly.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Sorry bomber boy..... We are talking about 05 frames. I think your stab is a 03, or 04.(This is not to start a argument, just letting you know that the frame are not identical!) How do you like the avy on the stab? I just bought the 05 stab from velo pro. I love it. Im super impressed with the floater. Due to its super long wheel base, its nice and stable at high speeds. Id say go for the stab.

And how do you change the travel from 8 to 9? Thanks - Oliver