Quantcast

09 TLD D2 **pic inside**

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How many have you owned?
I own one, and the build quality is absolutely shocking (full stop, I won't even start on the exorbitant prices), the whole thing is put together with a combination of hot glue and adhesive velcro dots. To anyone who doesn't own one that would be funny, but if you do it's reality. I checked out one of the new 661 evo helmets the other day, and the quality of both material and construction methods were light years ahead of the TLD junk (or rather OGK or whatever they rebadge).

However, I will own another because they look sick. That and I guess they fit really well and are fairly light, but those two things alone would barely make up for their build quality so I guess it's just the looks really. :)

Biker753

Chimp
Jun 12, 2002
wien-vienna-austria
overpriced? you can be so lucky to get it in the states, In europe the normal composite d2 costs 350 euros which are about 560 dollas!(except UK) it is chepaer to order it in the US and ship it over to europe!!

to the helmet, well I don´t realy like it, but let´s see what the other ones gonna look like!

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
UDI- scv has dropped the price over here around 50bux per lid. Nothing flash, but it helps. Like you though, I'm impressed with the new 661, but the visor still aint as cool.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
TLD is dope..... the only thing that makes it dope is the art work. thats what you pay for. i have an 08' ditto love the fit, the art, and everything else. i will buy an 09' cause i like them, just wish they would build a helmet worth 250 bucks.

Biker753

Chimp
Jun 12, 2002
wien-vienna-austria
yeah..last years price was 640 dollas
2008 they dropped it for about 80 dollas, but that´s still expensive!

glad that i got a cheap on an airbrushed it...but i hope i can get a second one!

the 661 is great but i don´t know, one part of me says I like it and the other one ain´t!

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I own one, and the build quality is absolutely shocking (full stop, I won't even start on the exorbitant prices), the whole thing is put together with a combination of hot glue and adhesive velcro dots. To anyone who doesn't own one that would be funny, but if you do it's reality. I checked out one of the new 661 evo helmets the other day, and the quality of both material and construction methods were light years ahead of the TLD junk (or rather OGK or whatever they rebadge).
That's because the QC rejects get sent down under.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC

However, I will own another because they look sick. That and I guess they fit really well and are fairly light, but those two things alone would barely make up for their build quality so I guess it's just the looks really. :)

Good to hear someone else finally realising this. And being honest with himself about why he's buying it no less! :D

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Must be the same story for the riders that end up over there. :p
Touche'! :clapping:

On a related note: I really like the graphics on this helmet. I "settled" for a phobia this year, being the best of the worst, but defenitly plan on ordering a new one. Hopefully the others are as cool. And hopefully their clothing follows in close step.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

Totally with you there, and I'd add that the protection of the helmets themselves is rubbish compared to many far cheaper alternatives.

The only thing they have going for them is looks. Sadly, I too will probably end up with another one (or maybe a THE since they're inexplicably far cheaper).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
man i havent been a fan of the helmets in the past years but that one is alright, i wish they would calm down with the graphics a bit...

I just got a 661 full carbon form my little bro and it is damn nice for about half the price, im sure the TLD is nicer but what are you really getting here?:crazy:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I have to agree that the build quality isn't great, but mine is vastly more comfortable than any helmet I've owned before or tried since.

dirtjumper22

Chimp
Jan 12, 2008

Yea thats bull ****! I have cased jumped with my head and landed straight on my head plenty of times with the TLD carbon helmet and without it i probably would not be able to type this right now!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yea thats bull ****! I have cased jumped with my head and landed straight on my head plenty of times with the TLD carbon helmet and without it i probably would not be able to type this right now!
Oh the irony... I think you just served to prove udi and Socket absolutely right.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So the TLD History "White" & "Black" on that sight..are they just the two sides of the same helmet? And the sight lists the Crow in black, blue & green...but I don't see a green one?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The black/red and blue/white ones both rub me up the right way... just wish some other company would steal TLD's aesthetic designer and put those kinds of awesome shapes/paintjobs into a more protective helmet.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The black/red and blue/white ones both rub me up the right way... just wish some other company would steal TLD's aesthetic designer and put those kinds of awesome shapes/paintjobs into a more protective helmet.
You mean like the 2009 D3?? They're planing on having a D3 that passes the new safety standard like the Giro Remedy. Not positive, but i believe that standard would be equal to the US moto standard if they didn't have vent holes.

I hear that the plan is composite (only) D2's for $295 MSRP and D3 (carbon olny) for $395 MSRP

Like the Giro, it will probably be larger looking kinda like a MX helmet since the foam is thicker.

I guess we'll wait and see if it makes it for 09, Interbike is the scheduled unveiling.

Krispy

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
there is already a new helmet? troy lee designs air...

NNOVATIVE VENTILATION SYSTEM

Heat causes fatigue, and that can break your concentration. Our patentet ventilation system ensures cooler head temperatures, so you can stay focused.

AEROSPACE SHELL DESIGN

Our aerospace composite fiberglass shell features carbon fiber reinforcements, adding structural integrity and reducing weight. Cool Max comfort liner and cheekpads are removeable and washable.

EXTRA WIDE EYE-PORT

Vision is critical to a motocross racer. Our extra wide eyeport increases peripheral vision and allows for a comfortable fit with any goggle.

TITANIUM HARDWARE

Lightweight titanium visor screws attach the color-matched TLD Vortex visor. A large tri-star set screw in the center provides easy visor adjustment.

CUSTOMIZATION

Removable roost guard provides added protection to the nose and face. Mouthpiece is removable, replaceable and available in variety colors.

STYLE

The new AIR helmet features a new redisigned mouthpiece, new Vortex visior and world famous eye-cathing TLD graphics.